Firebacks

680mm wide

  1. 442

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 082.jpg
    >680 x 740 mm

    Description: Fragment: right part only; rectangular; twisted rope edging; lion passant with rose stamped twice above and below rear end, crowned rose below fore end; bottom right corner, two small walking figures, one with both arms down, the other with right arm raised.

    Notes: One of a series with the same and other stamps.

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH001.005 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  2. 443

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 083.jpg
    680 x 410 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; plain plate with two rows of fleurs de lys, eight in the top row, three off set above the other five, and five in a single row along the bottom.

    Notes: The fleurs-de-lys are the same as are seen on firebacks thought to have been cast at Pounsley.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley Furnace, Framfield in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 1916, 'Old Wealden Firebacks', The Connoisseur, 46, pp. 197-209.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 749

    va_25.jpg
    680 x 570 mm

    Description: Flattened arched rectangular shape; cavetto moulded edge all round; Stuart royal arms with lion and unicorn supporters, crown, garter and motto; CR initials placed separately outside supporters; date split either side of crown.

    Notes: A commonly copied variant has the intials, IT, at the top; one vertical plank-line on right side.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1635 / C R / HONI SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE / DIEV ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal - Charles I

    Manufactured: in 1635 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 795.1896 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Anon., 2 Dec 1905, 'Old Kent and Sussex Fire-backs', Country Life, pp. 767-768.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 753

    va_29.jpg
    680 x 780 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; parallel astragal and fillet edging; four panels divied by fillets, an orb with a cross at the intersection; top left, naked female figure holding scales in her right hand, a scroll bearing an inscription above her and to her left and right; top right, a naked female figure holding a hawk in her right hand and leading two dogs with her left hand, a scroll bearing an inscription above her and to her left and right; bottom left, a clothed female figure, at her feet a fox attacking a serpent, a scroll bearing an inscription above her and to her left and right; bottom right, a clothed female figure, at her feet hounds chasing and attacking another animal, a scroll bearing an inscription above her and to her left and right.

    Notes: The figures (clockwise from top left) probably represent Justice and Vigilance (both naked), Indifference and Perfidy (both clothed).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: ..T IS V EN SCHADE DAT TROV IS LICHTER DAN PLVME / ICH JAG OM DIE VINDE OFT ICH TROV KOND FINDEN / TROV IS DOET ONTROVE VERDT VERFAVLEN / ONTOVE LOEPT OVER ..AL

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century possibly in the Wallonia area of Belgium.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 142.1898 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Driesch, K. von den , 1990, Handbuch der Ofen-, Kamin- und Takenplatten im Rheinland (Cologne, Rheinland-Verlag).

  5. 757

    va_33.jpg
    680 x 870 mm

    Description: Oval armorial bearings carried by two naked, kneeling male figures, between them a scallop shell; above the shield a lion’s face surmounted by a crest of a lion’s head erased; the shield is surrounded by floral scrolls. The arms are of Worge impaling Collier: Worge - gules, a fess ermine, cotised argent, in chief three lion’s heads erased of the last; Collier - argent, on a chevron azure, between three unicorns courant couped gules, as many oak sprigs fructed proper.

    Notes: George Worge (1705-65), of Starr’s Green, Battle, steward of the Battle Abbey estate, married Elizabeth Collier (d.1767) of Hastings in 1729. This deeply detailed fireback might have been cast in a closed mould; it had a circular aperture in the centre into which, in this instance, an armorial was placed; the same armorial is on a fireback, dated 1762, at Great Dixter, Northiam, Sussex.

    Arms: Worge impaling Collier (George Worge)

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 18th century possibly at Robertsbridge Furnace, Salehurst in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 686.1899 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 794

    winchelsea,_wickham manor 05.jpg
    680 x 704 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; probable ovolo-moulded edging; Stuart royal arms of England (quarterly, 1st and 4th, France and England, 2nd Scotland and 3rd Ireland) with garter, crown, crest, motto and supporters.

    Notes: A poor recasting, obscuring most of the detail.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: [illegible]

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in the 17th century in England.

    Current location: Wickham Manor Farm, Winchelsea, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/WMF/M/031 (part of the National Trust museum group)