Firebacks

605mm tall

  1. 44

    cuckfield,_bigges farm.jpg
    ~920 x 605 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal edging; simple diamond pattern covering whole plate, formed from evenly-spaced diagonal lines.

    Manufactured: .

    Current location: in private hands, Cuckfield, West Sussex, England.

  2. 388

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 023.jpg
    1045 x 605 mm

    Description: Rectangular, with canted top corners; twisted rope edging (top and sides only); ten shields of Ayloffe impaling Sulyard in three rows, 3-4-3; Ayloffe: sable, a lion rampant Or, collared gules, between three crosses formy of the second; Sulyard: argent, a chevron gules between three pheons inverted sable.

    Notes: William Ayloffe (c1535-1584) of Hornchurch, Essex, Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench, married (c1560) Jane, dau. of Sir Eustace Sulyard, of Runwell, Essex.

    Arms: Ayloffe impaling Sulyard (William Ayloffe of Hornchurch)

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.047 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Cowper, H. S., 1911, 'A Series of Kentish Heraldic Firebacks and the Identification of the Arms', Archaeologia Cantiana, 29, pp. 40-6.

  3. 413

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 047.jpg
    360 x 605 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; standing figure of Abraham about to sacrifice a kneeling Isaac, Abraham's raised right hand holding a sword is retrained by an angel; behind Abraham is a ram; initials are placed in a triangle above behind and in front of the group; arched rectangular border with fillet edging and descending floral and fruit bunches on a ribbon, hanging from rings, foliate swirls at base; vases on rectangle shoulders and at top, between two putti

    Notes: The initials appear to have been added subsequently.

    Inscription: B / E A

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.946 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  4. 513

    penshurst_04.jpg
    1345 x 605 mm

    Description: Rectangular; complex (astragal & fillet/cavetto) moulded edging; initials across top, between split date.

    Inscription: 16 WSG 98 [‘S’ reversed]

    Manufactured: in 1698 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Penshurst Place, Penshurst, Kent, England.

  5. 722

    ticehurst,_whiligh.jpg
    955 x 605 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); shield with recessed edges repeated seven times (3 and 4): a fess between three mullets of six points.

    Notes: The arms are those of Courthope of Whiligh in Ticehurst; blazon: argent, a fess azure between three estoiles sable (two and one). Shown are molets of six points which have straight rays instead of (properly) estoiles which have wavy ones. However, the 1643/4 iron graveslab of David Barham of Snape, in Wadhurst church, has the same arms (also with molets instead of estoiles), which were those of his mother who was a Courthope.

    Arms: Courthope, of Whiligh in Ticehurst

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Ticehurst, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Fitzgerald-Uniacke, R. G., 1914, 'The Barhams of Shoesmiths in Wadhurst', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 56, pp. 110-160.