Firebacks

Manufactured in the early to mid 20th century

  1. 1178

    christies,_london,_7006,_19-5-05_lot_34_1308x1035.png
    1308 x 1035 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; moulded top edge with undulating floriate border within fillets intersecting at the corners; in each corner a rose; along the bottom, the motto Multi Societate Tutiores - With many more safe; within the border, shield, supporters and crest

    Notes: Blazon: Argent, upon a rock issuant from the base proper, inscribed 1824 in gold numerals, a quadrangular castle also proper, pennons flying to the sinister from each tower gules; crest: In front of flames proper issuant from a coronet of four roses argent, barbed and seeded proper, set upon a rim Or, two keys in saltire, wards upwards, sable; supporters: On the dexter side a lion guardant Or, resting the sinister hind leg on an escutcheon argent charged with a rod of Aesculapius gules, and on the sinister side a like lion resting the dexter hind leg on an escutcheon argent charged with an anchor sable. The Alliance Assurance Company was founded in 1824 and merged with the Sun Insurance Company in 1959. The arms were granted in 1933. An openwork version of this fireback (i.e. with the background voided) was formerly displayed outside its offices. Christie's auction, London, sale no.7006, 19 May 2005, lot 34.

    Inscription: MVLTI SOCIETATE TVTIORES

    Arms: Alliance Assurance Company

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 20th century in England.

    Current location:, England.

  2. 1156

    lacock_abbey_01.jpg
    920 x 740 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; stylised twisted rope edging; centred, 'C & G' above 'S' above '1929', all between four stylised rope saltires.

    Notes: A twentieth century fireback designed and executed in a traditional form.

    Inscription: C & G / S / 1929

    Manufactured: in 1929 in England.

    Current location: Lacock Abbey, Lacock, Wiltshire, England.

    Museum number: 1545478 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  3. 438

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 078a.jpg
    600 x 740 mm

    Description: Rectangular with three sided arch; astragal edging; lion rampant crest beaneath a crown; the date split either side of the lion's head.

    Notes: The evenness of the casting, the form of the crown and the lion all suggest that the date is spurious.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 39

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 20th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  4. 440

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 080.jpg
    780 x 695 mm

    Description: Rectangle joined to low arch with cyma recta curves; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); grid of twelve rectangles (4 columns of 3) with twisted rope borders; initials in arch, date in top line of rectangles.

    Notes: A fireback cast specially to mark the 60th anniversary of the Sussex Archaeological Society, and donated to the society by Mr John Every.

    Inscription: S.A.S. / 1926

    Manufactured: in 1926 at Phoenix Foundry, Lewes furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.093 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  5. 877

    unknown_56 pollen arms 580x570.jpg
    580 x 570 mm

    Description: Low arched rectangle; astragal and stepped fillet edging; slanted shield, helm and mantling; crest missing; at bottom, date split either side of shield.

    Notes: The arms are of the Pollen family of Redenham, Hampshire; blazon: azure, on a bend cotised or between six lozenges argent each charged with an escallop sable, five escallops vert.

    Inscription: 19 27

    Arms: Pollen of Andover, Hampshire

    Manufactured: in 1927 in England.

    Current location:.

  6. 774

    va_49.jpg
    495 x 745 mm

    Description: Arched shape with bead edging; from top, large bead with four pairs of small beads in a cross shape, text with pellet surrounded by eight beads on each side of 'G', and at bottom.

    Notes: Made by, and bearing the initials of Eric Gill and his wife, Mary, in 1930.

    Inscription: E&M / G / MCM / XXX

    Manufactured: in 1930 at Loosley Row foundry furnace possibly in the Chilterns area of England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.4-1983 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)