Description: Rectangular; cavetto with double fillet edging; two side panels each separated by twisted rope, and each containing six fleurs de lys arranged vertically; top panel separated by twisted rope, containing inscription; central panel with lion’s head between two fleurs de lys.
Notes: A late example of the use of individual carved stamps; from Heol Ddu Isaf, Bargoed, acquired by the National Museum of Wales in 1922.
Inscription: WLA [triad] 1714 WLA [triad]
Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.
Museum number: 21.31 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)
Description: Rectangular, plain plate; top centre, cross probably formed of a repeated length of dowel helically wrapped with a leather strap; top right, a buckle impressed four times, the top two with their prongs inclined towards each other, and the bottom two with prongs vertical and parallel; left of the cross, a shield, indented at the top, charged with a bird upon a branch, to the left of which is a 'renaissance' style shield stamp with a 'PL' monogram above two [?]bougets.
Notes: The four buckles suggest a connection with the Pelham family whose badge it is. The protrusion low on the right edge of the fireback is probably the stub of a runner through which the cast iron was run into the mould from a temporary basin formed in the casting sand. The given width dimension assumes the crack across the fireback is closed.
Current location: in private hands, Framfield, East Sussex, England.
Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top row, two square-within-a-square arrangements of twisted rope between three stamps formed of Gothic tracery cresting; 2nd row, two more tracery cresting stamps between two crowned, star-embossed butter mould stamps with a crowned rose-en-soleil stamp in the middle; 3rd row, three star-embossed butter mould stamps with two pairs of fleurs-de-lys between them; bottom row, seven fleurs-de-lys; plus intersepersed fragments of cresting and short rope lengths, a vertical arrangement of cresting fragments down the right side and a vertical, zig-zag arrangement of rope lengths on the left side.
Notes: The rose-en-soleil was the badge of King Edward IV and, thus, a Yorkist symbol. Many of the stamps employed on this fireback are seen, with other stamps, on a wide variety of firebacks, suggesting a common source; similar gothic tracery cresting can be seen as pierced cresting on a rare late-Medieval, wooden Easter sepulchre at the redundant church of St Michael at Cowthorpe, North Yorkshire. A similar fireback is at Anne of Cleves House, Lewes. Christie's auction, 24 May 2001.
Copies of this fireback are known.
Current location:, not known.