432mm wide

  1. 869

    dublin,_national museum of ireland 01.jpg
    432 x 635 mm

    Description: Low arched central panel with fillet edging; on a square frame in perspective, a small gadrooned pot with flowers, including daffodils and tulips, issuing from it; narrow fillet border of same shape, around top and sides, containing a repeated chain and tassel design; wide outer border with quasi-symmetrical, wave-shaped top, swirled floral design of hare bells and tendrils; inscription at bottom.

    Notes: In the museum guide of 1912, this fireback was said to have come out of an old house at Arran Quay, Dublin.

    Inscription: IP 1737

    Manufactured: in 1737 in Ireland.

    Current location: National Museum of Ireland, Benurb Street, Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.

    Museum number: NMIDM:1910.564 (part of the National Museum of Ireland museum group)

    Citation: Westropp, M. S. D. (ed.), 1912, General Guide to the Art Collections, Part VI, Metalwork, Chapter V, Iron (Dublin, National Museum of Science and Art).

  2. 154

    432 x 597 mm

    Description: Rectangular central panel with bead edging; a phoenix, with wings displayed, rising from the flames; rectangular border with bead edging, flowers and leaves festooned from a central flower; initials split either side of a flower at the base; on top, symmetrical swirled leaves.

    Notes: Although similar to 'Dutch' types made in north Germany, this is probably an English design. A fireback bearing a phoenix was one of three designs ordered by Trubshaw's, ironmongers of London and Birmingham, from George Sitwell's furnace at Foxbrooke, Derbyshire, in the 1660s. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: R (or B) G

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.16 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

    Citation: Riden, P., 1985, George Sitwell's Letterbook, 1662-66 (Derbyshire Record Society vol. 10).

  3. 457

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 097.jpg
    >432 x 620 mm

    Description: Fragment; right part, prob. rectangular; twisted strip edging (top and sides); stamp of firedog with semi-circular feet, and with shields at top and bottom of shaft, the lower with quartered arms, the upper with diagonal bar over a rectangle (gate?); horizontal twisted strip length to left of firedog.

    Notes: The twisted lengths clearly show the flattened form of a strip of material (poss. leather).

    Manufactured: in the 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.914 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)