Firebacks

Manufactured in 1634

  1. 1076

    hereford,_the old house 02.jpg
    >690 x >570 mm

    Description: Fragment; arched rectangular fireback with embattled, cavetto-moulded edging; English Stuart royal shield, Garter, crown and supporters, stemmed rose and stemmed thistle, respectively, to left and right of crown; initials CR above crown; all within a plain border, with short lengths of twisted rope edging containing, at the top, the initial M between a split date; initials (only S surviving) below date.

    Notes: A Carolean composite fireback. The armorial fireback includes stylistic elements - the form of the unicorn and of the harp - identical to those on two series of firebacks dated 1618 and 1619, indicating the work of the same pattern-maker; its width is 490mm.

    Inscription: M / 1634 / [?] S / C R

    Arms: English Stuart royal (Charles I)

    Manufactured: in 1634 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Black and White House Museum, The Old House, High Town, Hereford, Herefordshire, England.

  2. 1141

    ozleworth,_newark park.jpg
    740 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); date stamp, 1634, in arch; initials, EH, separated by a cross, below date.

    Notes: The same date stamp has been noted on another fireback; the cross between the initials may have an apotropaic purpose.

    Inscription: 1634 /E + H

    Manufactured: in 1634 in England.

    Current location: Newark Park, Ozleworth, Gloucestershire, England.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

  3. 952

    taddington_manor 05c.jpg
    1117 x 872 mm

    Description: Rectangular joined to pediment by symmetrical scrolls; fillet edging with embattling inside; shield, helm, crest, supporters and mantling of the city of Bristol; date split by bottom of shield; inscription in an oval cartouche below shield; rectangular side extensions with twisted rope edging; initial on each extension.

    Notes: The use of embattling inside the edge and the form of the number ‘3’ in the date suggests that this fireback may be the work of the pattern maker identified on other firebacks as ‘RN’; the mismatched ‘3’ is likely to have replaced a ‘1’ or ‘2’. The pattern-maker was also responsible for carving royal coats of arms in three West Country churches.

    Inscription: T H / 16 34 / ARMES BRISTOLL

    Arms: City of Bristol

    Manufactured: in 1634 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2017, 'Church Armorials and Firebacks: Evidence of an Early 17th-Century Woodcarver', Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 135, pp. 213-223.

  4. 1055

    wilkinsons_26 feb 2017 lot 272 610x762.jpg
    610 x 762 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with small triangular protrusions in each top corner; fillet edging (top and sides); top centre, date stamp, over-pressed on right side; top corners, single fleur-de-lys stamp; below date, initials in triad.

    Notes: The fleur-de-lys is of a distinctive form; the small triangular protrusions are not seen on other firebacks. Wilkinson's, Doncaster, auction 26 Feb 2017 lot 272. A fireback with the same date stamp is at Newark Park, Ozleworth, Gloucestershire.

    Inscription: 1634 / RCS [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1634 in England.

    Current location:, England.