Description: Circular wreathed medallion, bearing the right-facing head of a man in classical dress, carried by two naked, kneeling male figures, between them a scallop shell; above the medallion a lion’s face surmounted by a flame; the medallion is surrounded by floral scrolls.
Notes: The wooden pattern would have had a circular aperture (the frame of which is just discernible) for the reception of the medallion; the same pattern was used to cast a fireback bearing the arms of George Worge, and the stamp of the profile was used on an accompanying fireplace side plate.
Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.
Museum number: LH000.998 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)
- Attached to series:
- Baroque series
Description: Rectangular; multiple moulding on top and sides; inscription below moulding at top; three pointed crosses, one between inscription and date, one each side of date.
Notes: Purchased by J. H. Every in a sale at Groombridge Place, Kent in 1919. John Rivers was the husband of Isabella Packer, whose father Sir Thomas Packer, owned Groombridge Place. Bequeathed to the Sussex Archaeological Society in 1944.
Inscription: IOHN·RIVERS / 1643
Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.
Museum number: 1944.24.431 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)
Description: Low arched rectangle with stepped shoulders; cavetto moulded edging; Stuart royal shield with lion and unicorn supporters, garter and crown.
Notes: The pattern was probably carved in high relief, but the depth of casting sand may have been insufficient for all the detail to be revealed. At least one horizontal plank line is visible.
Copies of this fireback are known.
Arms: English Stuart royal
Current location: Parham House, Parham, West Sussex, England.
- Attached to series:
- Stuart royal armorial firebacks
Description: Arched rectangular central panel and bead edging; pictorial scene probably showing the annunciation of the Virgin Mary; Mary sits beneath a canopy on the left, to which an angel descends, behind two figures seated on a stepped dais; above, two figures sit above a cloud, a curtain to the right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging, containing twisted ribbon; palm fronds gathered with a ribbon along the bottom. On top, two vases, one on each shoulder of the border, with swirled foliage descending from a central scallop shell.
Notes: The scene appears to be from the New Testament, probably relating to the Annunciation or the Nativity. Probably a pastiche of a Dutch design.
Current location: Saffron Walden Museum, Saffron Walden, Essex, England.
Museum number: 2819 (part of the Saffron Walden Museum museum group)