Firebacks

Manufactured in the early 17th century

85 results

  1. 103

    haslemere_museum 01.jpg
    320 x 250 mm

    Description: Rectangular; flanged or astragal and fillett edging; female portrait in a medallion of three concentric rings; date split between four corners

    Notes: An unusually small stoveplate.

    Inscription: 1 6 [?0] 4

    Manufactured: in 1604 possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Haslemere Educational Museum, Haslemere, Surrey, England.

    (part of the Haslemere Educational Museum museum group)

  2. 151

    hastings_034.jpg
    813 x 508 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; ovolo moulded edging (top and sides); eight shields of Ayloffe impaling Sulyard in three rows 3-2-3. Top right corner missing

    Notes: Ayloffe: sable, a lion rampant Or, collared gules, between three crosses formy of the second; Sulyard: argent, a chevron gules between three pheons inverted sable. William Ayloffe (c1535-1584) of Hornchurch, Essex, Justice of the Court of Queen抯 Bench, married (c1560) Jane, dau. of Sir Eustace Sulyard, of Runwell, Essex. There is a large number of variants using the same shields.

    Arms: Ayloffe impaling Sulyard (William Ayloffe of Hornchurch)

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 952.51.43 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Cowper, H. S., 1911, 'A Series of Kentish Heraldic Firebacks and the Identification of the Arms', Archaeologia Cantiana, 29, pp. 40-6.

  3. 179

    hastings_066.jpg
    840 x 560 mm

    Description: Rectangular; double fillet moulded edging; top centre, on a rectangular block, shield of the arms of the Fowle family - (Gules) a lion passant guardant between three roses (Or); on each side, two rectangles, each containing a helm and the crest of the Fowles - an Arm in armour holding a Battle axe issuant from a Ducal Coronet, above each being the date, 1603, and below each the initials, WF. Across the lower half of the fireback are two solid triangular prisms of iron.

    Notes: The stamps relate to William Fowle (1568-1634), ironmaster of Riverhall furnace. The shield stamp also appears on grave slabs in Wadhurst and Frant churches and on an unprovenanced graveslab in Maidstone Museum. The iron prisms were included, perhaps, to retain heat and to prevent the fireback from cracking.

    Inscription: 1603 WF [twice]

    Arms: William Fowle, of Frant and Wadhurst

    Manufactured: in 1603 probably at Riverhall furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 952.51.59 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 192

    helston,_godolphin house 02.jpg
    910 x 520 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); irregular arrangement of four stamps in three rows: face mask with ?crown and ruff (3), flower head with four petals and leaflets (4), fleur de lys (5), and profile of a head with 'Roman' crest (2); initials replace stamps in top corners.

    Notes: A larger variant, undated and with other initials but the same four stamps, is also known.

    Inscription: TBI I旳🯒🯔 / TA S

    Manufactured: in 1618 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Godolphin House, Helston, Cornwall, England.

    Museum number: 169481 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 1075

    hereford,_the_old_house_01a.jpg
    490 x 550 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto-moulded edging (top and sides); English Stuart Royal arms, garter, supporters, crown and motto; altered date above crown.

    Notes: This design, which probably dates from 1619, has been used to cast composite firebacks with a variety of altered dates ranging from 1629 to 1662.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1639 [illegible Garter and royal mottoes]

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1639 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Black and White House Museum, The Old House, High Town, Hereford, Herefordshire, England.

  6. 1038

    herstmonceux_castle.jpg
    1105 x 550 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; edging formed of lengths of cross-cut dowel (top and sides); inscription across upper centre probably formed of thumb prints; the last digit of the date may be an incomplete 5 rotated left.

    Notes: A crudely executed fireback; the cross-cut dowel used for the edging has not been noted on any other fireback.

    Inscription: 16 wo 15[?]

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Herstmonceux Castle, Herstmonceux, East Sussex, England.

  7. 1176

    herttford_museum_02a.jpg
    864 x 610 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top left, date 1622; top right, initials T H.

    Notes: The surface excrescences on the lower half of the fireback are likely to have resulted from the displacement of the casting sand by the pouring of the iron. Formerly at Marden Hill House, Tewin, Hertfordshire. There is no basis for the suggestion by Hertford Museum that this fireback might have been cast by a Thomas Hogge.

    Inscription: 1622 T H

    Manufactured: in 1622 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hertford Museum, 18 Bull Plain, Hertford, Hertfordshire, England.

    Museum number: HETFM2893.1 (part of the Hertford Museum museum group)

  8. 1126

    horsted_keynes, the crown.jpg
    765 x 480 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); fillet-edged rectangle top centre, enclosing date between initials CT; five shields of Ayloffe impaling Sulyard in two rows (3-2); Ayloffe: sable, a lion rampant Or, collared gules, between three crosses formy of the second; Sulyard: argent, a chevron gules between three pheons inverted sable.

    Notes: William Ayloffe (c1535-1584) of Hornchurch, Essex, Justice of the Court of Queen抯 Bench, married (c1560) Jane, dau. of Sir Eustace Sulyard, of Runwell, Essex. The initials 'CT' are likely to be those of Charles Tyler, a founder whose working life and that of his family have strong parallels with the occurrence of these firebacks. The smallest dated example in this series.

    Inscription: C 1609 T

    Arms: Ayloffe impaling Sulyard (William Ayloffe of Hornchurch)

    Manufactured: in 1609 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: The Crown, Inn, The Green, Horsted Keynes, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Cowper, H. S., 1911, 'A Series of Kentish Heraldic Firebacks and the Identification of the Arms', Archaeologia Cantiana, 29, pp. 40-6.

    Citation: Hodgkinson. J. S., 2018, 'A series of Kentish firebacks and the possible identification of their founder', Archaeologia Cantiana, 139, pp. 312-15.

  9. 942

    hull,_wilberforce house.jpg
    910 x 680 mm

    Description: Rectangular with a central rectangular extension; twisted rope edging; fleur-de-lys stamp with twisted band repeated three times at top; ?rose stamp repeated five times in line below fleurs, some over pressed, central rose above others; cabled anchor stamp repeated twice, either side of central rose; initials below central rose; ?cow and dog stamps each repeated twice alternately in line below initials; eight rivets from later repair.

    Notes: None of the stamps is known from any other fireback; cabled anchor may suggest a connection with a seaport.

    Inscription: HI

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century in England.

    Current location: Wilberforce House, High Street, Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire, England.

    (part of the Hull Museums museum group)

  10. 994

    koldewij_collection 01.jpg
    580 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched; cavetto-moulded edging; English royal Stuart shield, garter, crown, supporters, and motto on a cartouche; a monogram of S and C lies to the left of the Garter buckle; a small rose stamp is repeated each side of crown; date split each side of top of crown.

    Notes: Although English arms, the design is in a continental style, arched firebacks being typical of Lorraine. In some later recastings the proportions have been distorted, making them narrower, and the '16' of the date is missing. The fireback illustrated was formerly in the city museum of Vlissingen in the Netherlands.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 21 / HONI SOIT QVI MAL I PENSE / SC / DIEV ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal (James I)

    Manufactured: in 1621 possibly in the Lorraine area of France.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Starkie Gardner, J., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.