Firebacks

Edging: double fillet

  1. 875

    bradford-on-avon,_westwood manor 04a.jpg
    1300 x 760 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; double fillet edging (top and sides); repeated 'X' stamp parallel to edging, horizontally across centre, and in two parallel lines from top to centre, dividing top half of plate into three sections; 'daisy' stamp approximately in middle of top left and right sections, repeated four times in triad in top middle section, and thrice along top of bottom section; small roundel stamp repeated 3-3-1 in top left section, and 3-1-3-1 in top right section; date split between top left and right sections; initials split in top centre section.

    Notes: An arrangement with several elements likely to have been repeated on other firebacks.

    Inscription: 16 D[reversed] B 81

    Manufactured: in 1681 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Westwood Manor, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, England.

    Museum number: 222490 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  2. 179

    hastings_066.jpg
    840 x 560 mm

    Description: Rectangular; double fillet moulded edging; top centre, on a rectangular block, shield of the arms of the Fowle family - (Gules) a lion passant guardant between three roses (Or); on each side, two rectangles, each containing a helm and the crest of the Fowles - an Arm in armour holding a Battle axe issuant from a Ducal Coronet, above each being the date, 1603, and below each the initials, WF. Across the lower half of the fireback are two solid triangular prisms of iron.

    Notes: The stamps relate to William Fowle (1568-1634), ironmaster of Riverhall furnace. The shield stamp also appears on grave slabs in Wadhurst and Frant churches and on an unprovenanced graveslab in Maidstone Museum. The iron prisms were included, perhaps, to retain heat and to prevent the fireback from cracking.

    Inscription: 1603 WF [twice]

    Arms: William Fowle, of Frant and Wadhurst

    Manufactured: in 1603 probably at Riverhall furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 952.51.59 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 843

    ilkley,_old manor house.jpg
    665 x 655 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; double fillet edging (top and sides) with alternating roses and diamonds between the fillets; pictorial scene of Adam and Eve, both naked, taking fruit from the Tree of Knowledge, between them, around which is entwined the serpent.

    Notes: Boldly sculpted, stylised figures; the serpent is shown with a human face.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Lorraine area of France.

    Current location: Old Manor House, Ilkley, West Yorkshire, England.

    (part of the Bradford Museums and Art Galleries museum group)

  4. 862

    lenygon_fig_256a.jpg
    ~1200 x ~650 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; double fillet edging (top and sides); top centre, date between two flower heads; initials in triad, repeated on each side, with two fleurs-de-lys between; flower head below each initial group.

    Notes: The initials are likely to be those of a husband (P) and wife (M) whose surname begins N. Illustration from Lenygon, p. 245.

    Inscription: 1689 / PNM PNM [both triads]

    Manufactured: in 1689 possibly in the Shropshire area of England.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Lenygon, F., 1914, Decoration in England (London, Batsford).

  5. 864

    ludlow_museum.jpg
    980 x 675 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; double fillet edging (top and sides); top centre, date; initials in triad, repeated on each side, with a fleur-de-lys between; three fleurs-de-lys evenly spaced below initial groups.

    Notes: The initials are likely to be those of a husband (E) and wife (I/J) whose surname begins R.

    Inscription: 1688 / ERI ERI [both triads]

    Manufactured: in 1688 possibly in the Shropshire area of England.

    Current location: Castle Square, Ludlow, Shropshire, England.

    (part of the Ludlow Museum museum group)

  6. 524

    pet-m-78.jpg
    644 x 730 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto-moulded edging; shield, crown and supporters of King Philip IV of Spain, incorporating the arms of Castille and Leon, Aragon - Sicily, Granada, Portugal, Austria, Burgundy and Brabant; around the shield is the chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece; at the top, the date split by the crown; behind, crossed lilies.

    Notes: By 1662 the arms of Portugal were redundant on the Spanish royal arms, but were retained until after the death of Philip IV; the word, LOVEN, indicates the particular association of this plate with the town of Leuven, the capital of Brabant in what was, at the time, part of the Spanish Netherlands.

    Inscription: 16 62 / LO VEN

    Arms: King Philip IV of Spain

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/78 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  7. 531

    pet-m-84.jpg
    592 x 758 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with cavetto-moulded edging; standing female figure holding a bunch of lowers in her left hand and a pot of flowers in her ight hand; to her left a ribbed, two-handled vase of tulips, to her right a fountain with a seated figure of Neptune/Poseidon holding a trident in the right hand; the words, Fruhling, split by the figure; above, clouds; on top a scallop shell between two descending sea serpents.

    Notes: The iconic figure of Spring.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: FRVH LING

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/84 (part of the National Trust museum group)