Firebacks

Manufactured in 1662

  1. 49

    dallington,_acelands.jpg
    635 x 590 mm

    Description: Rectangular with cavetto curves rising to corners and a ‘portico’ top; fillet edging with bas-relief, alternate regularly spaced semi-circles and triangles inside; two-handled flower vase with acanthus bas-relief, trailing vines issuing from top, with pomegranate and hop(?), descending through handles to base; lion’s head at top; date split either side of vase base.

    Notes: The bas-relief edging also appears on other firebacks, suggesting the same pattern maker. The date was probably added separately.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1662

    Manufactured: in 1662 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Dallington, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 348

    ipswich,_christchurch 01.jpg
    940 x 770 mm

    Description: Composite; Arched rectangular shaped, armorial fireback, cavetto edging, with Stuart Royal arms, garter, supporters, crown and motto, and 1662 date above crown; this overlies a rectangular plate, with rope-effect, fillet edging; a pattern of four rosettes surrounding a fleur-de-lys, its stem terminating in a small buckle, is repeated on each side of the central armorial fireback, with the initials above; each rosette is stamped separately.

    Notes: A variant, bearing the same date, but the initials, A B, and without the rosettes, was reported at Norton Manor, Malmesbury, Wiltshire.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 62 / C P / HONI SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE / DIEV·ET·MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Christchurch Mansion, Ipswich, Suffolk, England.

    (part of the Colchester & Ipswich Museums Service museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 964

    longhope,_glasshouse inn 1.jpg
    1295 x 660 mm

    Description: Rectangular; Twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, date; initials in triad in top corners; a double fleurs-de-lys between date and each set of initials, and two rotated down each side of the plate.

    Notes: Formerly at a cottage in Bradford's Lane, Newent, Gloucestershire.

    Inscription: TRD / 1662 / TRD

    Manufactured: in 1662 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: The Glasshouse Inn, May Hill, Longhope, Gloucestershire, England.

    Citation: Bick, D. E., 1987, The Mines of Newent and Ross, (Newent, The Pound House), p. 35.

  4. 823

    mayfield,_yew tree farmhouse.jpg
    645 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched shape with ovolo egg-and-dart edging; crown surmounting a shield, a quartered shield with an escutcheon impaling a crowned lion rampant with an escutcheon; text along the bottom.

    Notes: The arms have not been identified; LOVEN is the town of Leuven, capital of the province of Brabant, which, in 1662, was in the Spanish Netherlands.

    Inscription: LOVEN 1662

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Lorraine area of Belgium.

    Current location: in private hands, Mayfield, East Sussex, England.

  5. 1144

    norton,_norton manor a.jpg
    1000 x 670 mm

    Description: Composite; arched rectangular shaped, armorial fireback, cavetto edging, with Stuart Royal arms, garter, supporters, crown and motto, and 1662 date above crown; this overlies a rectangular plate with fillet edging; top centre in the space each side of the central shield, an initial letter - A to left, B to right - each above a fleur-de-lys, its stem terminating in a small buckle.

    Notes: Several firebacks have incorporated the same Stuart royal shield, which probably originally dated to 1619, but with the date altered. A similar fireback, but without the initials and fleurs-de-lys, dated 1661, and reputed to have come from the Totsey, the old guildhall at the market cross in Gloucester, is illustrated in Ames, 1980, 23; possibly the same fireback was reported by the late David Bick to be at The Grange, Minsterworth, Gloucestershire (demolished in the late 1960s).

    Inscription: 16 62 / [Garter motto (illeg.)] / A B

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Norton, Wiltshire, England.

    Citation: Ames, A., 1980, Collecting Cast Iron (Ashbourne, Moorland Publishing)

    Citation: Badeni, J., 22 Sep 1983, 'Whose Fireback?' [letter], Country Life, 174, 4492, p. 772.

  6. 524

    pet-m-78.jpg
    644 x 730 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto-moulded edging; shield, crown and supporters of King Philip IV of Spain, incorporating the arms of Castille and Leon, Aragon - Sicily, Granada, Portugal, Austria, Burgundy and Brabant; around the shield is the chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece; at the top, the date split by the crown; behind, crossed lilies.

    Notes: By 1662 the arms of Portugal were redundant on the Spanish royal arms, but were retained until after the death of Philip IV; the word, LOVEN, indicates the particular association of this plate with the town of Leuven, the capital of Brabant in what was, at the time, part of the Spanish Netherlands.

    Inscription: 16 62 / LO VEN

    Arms: King Philip IV of Spain

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/78 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  7. 566

    petworth_047.jpg
    560 x 731 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel; bead-on-fillet edging; wickerwork Garden of Holland (Hollandse Tuin) within which is seated a berobed female figure holding a cap of freedom on the end of a long pole; before her is the crowned heraldic lion of the States General of the Netherlands, clutching a sheaf of arrows in its left front paw; above are the words, Pro Patria; arched rectangular border with cavetto-moulded edging, with the word, Hollandia, in the arch, suspended from which are festoons of flowers and fruit and the date within a scroll on the bottom; on top, a scallop shell between two mirrored serpents.

    Notes: An overtly patriotic theme with symbols of Dutch nationhood.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: HOLLANDIA / PRO PATRIA / ANNO 1662

    Manufactured: in 1662 in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/59 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 860

    terry_sparks 02a.jpg
    695 x 490 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; fillet edging (top and sides); top centre, initials, above date, between repeated fleur-de-lys stamp; from top corners to bottom corners, repeated V-shape pattern formed of stamped short fillets, with an L-shape inserted between the top two Vs on each side.

    Notes: The fleurs de lys are of a distinctive style seen on a small group of firebacks.

    Inscription: RH / 1662

    Manufactured: in 1662 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Checkendon, Oxfordshire, England.