Firebacks

690mm tall

  1. 1122

    accrington,_garden street 1020x690.jpg
    1020 x 690 mm

    Description: Plain rectangular plate with cyma reversa, or ogee, moulding on top and sides.

    Notes: A base board without other decoration. Other firebacks may have been cast using it.

    Manufactured: in the 17th century in England.

    Current location: 10 Garden Street, Accrington, Lancashire, England.

  2. 243

    chailey,_woodbrooks farm 03.jpg
    642 x 690 mm

    Description: Upon a rectangular base plinth, wide scrolled side fillets with foliage about the scrolls and suspended bell flowers in chain above; central cartouche behind an oval shield bearing three fleurs-de-lys surmounted by a French royal crown; on top, an arch rising from horizontal moulding on each side.

    Notes: Characteristic of designs illustrated by architects such as Daniel Marot.

    Arms: French royal

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in France.

    Current location:, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Carpentier, H., 1912, Plaques de Cheminées, Paris.

  3. 246

    chatsworth_house 01.jpg
    780 x 690 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape; on a ground, an armorial achievement comprising a central cartouche on which is an oval shield bearing the arms of the Cavendish family, with graduated bead edging; supporters, two stags rampant; above the cartouche, on a wreath a coiled snake crest surmounted by an earl’s coronet; the date split either side of the crest; to each side, a column with foliate capital supporting a three-sided arch with ovolo-moulded edging, on each shoulder of which is a flaming orb.

    Notes: The arms are those of William Cavendish, 3rd Earl of Devonshire (1617-84).

    Inscription: 1657

    Arms: William Cavendish, 3rd Earl of Devonshire

    Manufactured: in 1657 in England.

    Current location:, England.

  4. 281

    ellesborough,_chequers 07.jpg
    790 x 690 mm

    Description: This fireback comprises at least four separate elements: the rectangular central panel has an anchor with coiled rope between two fleurs de lys, below which are two roses; the two rectangular side panels each comprise a vertical stem with six grape bunches surmounted by a smaller bunch; above, a semicircular arch contains the initials between two roses as in the central panel, with the date above; where the arch meets the central panel there is an arc across each corner; the top and sides panels are edged with simulated twisted rope.

    Notes: A variant of the well-known ‘Armada’ fireback.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1588 / IFC

    Manufactured: in 1588 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Chequers, Ellesborough, Buckinghamshire, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 104

    haslemere_museum 02.jpg
    495 x 690 mm

    Description: 'Dutch' style; arched rectangular shaped central panel with arch at top; bead edging; female figure with staff and fan in a garden, inscription DER MITAG below figure ; similarly shaped border of Corinthian columns and floral decoration; symmetrical serpents on top.

    Notes: The inscription means NOON; identified from a clearer version in the collection of the Haardplatenmuseum, Klarenbeek, Netherlands. The representations in human form of various virtues and vices in Iconologia, by Cesare Ripa, first published in the early 17th century but republished in different editions many times subsequently, formed the basis of the subject matter of several firebacks, mostly cast from continental originals, that became popular in England from the late 17th century.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: DER MITAG

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Haslemere Educational Museum, Haslemere, Surrey, England.

    (part of the Haslemere Educational Museum museum group)

  6. 496

    michelham_010.jpg
    810 x 690 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo moulded edging; plain panel at bottom; Tudor royal shield, garter, crown, motto and supporters (crowned lion and dragon), temp. Elizabeth I; the top of the lion's crown and the dragon's ear overlap the edging.

    Notes: Another version has a rose and portcullis either side of the crown, and the top of the lion's crown and the dragon's ear do not overlap the edging.

    Inscription: [Garter] HONI SOIT QVI MAL E PENSE / [motto] DIEV ET MON DROIT.

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.999 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 903

    speldhurst,_george and dragon a.jpg
    1300 x 690 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); date between split initials across upper half of plate; two notches cut away for insertion of firedogs.

    Notes: The ‘6s’ appear to have been moulded from a type of jemmy.

    Inscription: g 1669 P [reversed]

    Manufactured: in 1669 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: George & Dragon Inn, Speldhurst, Kent, England.

  8. 714

    unknown_15 600 x 690 somerset.jpg
    600 x 690 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; cavetto moulded edging (top and sides); single horizontal fillet below canted corners and vertical fillet parallel to each side, dividing the fireback into two side panels, two top corner panels, top panel and main central panel; corner panels, lion passant stamp, left facing in right corner, right facing in left corner; top panel, date between fleurs-de-lys; side panels, suspended vine stamp repeated each side; centre panel, flower stamp in each top corner.

    Notes: The lion stamps and design elements (canted shape, vertical and horizontal divisions) are identical to those on similar firebacks dated to the first decade of the 18th century, and indicate a common source.

    Inscription: 1699

    Manufactured: in 1699 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location:, Somerset, England.