Firebacks

In the Royal Collection museum group

  1. 87

    hampton_court 01.jpg
    995 x 1185 mm

    Description: 'Dutch' style; cavetto-canted arched rectangular shaped central panel, double fillet and bead edging, figure of Poseidon/Neptone, trident in right hand, standing on three scallop shells, within a niche with a demi-hemispherical roof and two sloping supporting walls, on either side is a mythical seahorse, below is a walled fountain base with two mermaids at the front; cavetto-canted arched rectangular shaped border with scallop and clam shells separated by swirled foliage, monogram at base between scrolled foliage; on top, scrolled foliage.

    Notes: The central design is likely to be derived from the work of Daniel Marot.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: EB

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Hampton Court, Richmond, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 1098 (part of the Royal Collection museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 89

    hampton_court 03.jpg
    865 x 705 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shaped, with sides leaning slightly towards the top; wide ovolo edging (top and sides) with twisted rope relief; Tudor shield, garter, crown and supporters (crowned lion and dragon); motto along base; irregular ribbon behind.

    Notes: Whole pattern; strong stylistic similarities with a Buckhurst arms fireback at Michelham Priory suggest a common pattern maker and possibly furnace.

    Inscription: DIEV ET MON DROI

    Arms: Tudor royal (prob. Elizabeth I)

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hampton Court, Richmond, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 1241 (part of the Royal Collection museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 90

    hampton_court 04.jpg
    740 x 520 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo moulded edging (top and sides); eight impressions of a fleur de lys, arranged in three horizontal rows (3-2-3), carefully spaced.

    Notes: The same fleur de lys stamp has been noted on several firebacks, indicating a common source.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hampton Court, Richmond, Greater London, England.

    (part of the Royal Collection museum group)

  4. 92

    hampton_court 05.jpg
    890 x 710 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped; paternost bead edging (top and sides); Stuart royal arms: shield, garter, helm, crown, crest, supporters and motto; date split between top corners; initials split beneath supporters.

    Notes: Firebacks with royal arms attributable to the reign of James II are, inevitably, uncommon owing to the brevity of his reign. Paternost beads are more usually found as edging on ‘Dutch’ types of fireback. A polychrome casting of this fireback is displayed as the royal arms in St James's church in North Cray, Kent.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1687 /HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE / I R / DIEU ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal (James II)

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hampton Court, Richmond, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 1010 (part of the Royal Collection museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 309

    hampton_court 09.jpg
    830 x 1110 mm

    Description: Central panel, cavetto-canted rectangle with arch; bud and annulet edging (in alternate threes); pictorial panel portraying Europa being carried to sea by Zeus, disguised as a bull; two female attendants wave from the right shore; two putti attend, one below with a bow and arrow; trees to right and left; clouds and sun above. Same shaped, fillet-edged border with floral scrolls top and sides; at the bottom, a cartouche bearing EB monogram between oak leaf and acorn fronds; on top, central scallop shell between floral scrolls with dolphin’s heads.

    Notes: The central design is closely based on an illustration by Bernard Salomon, first published in a 1557 edition of Ovid’s Metamorphoses and copied in subsequent editions by Virgil Solis (1514-62). The initials, EB, are likely to be those of the pattern maker. The similarity between the execution of this picture and those on firebacks bearing the SHR monogram suggests the possibility of a common source. Ten rivets are the result of later repair.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: EB

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Hampton Court Palace, Richmond, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 1107 (part of the Royal Collection museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 310

    hampton_court 10.jpg
    858 x 1196 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of Venus, naked and kneeling, and Adonis, standing, holding a spear in his left hand, with Cupid to the left, and a hound and a quiver of arrows below to the right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; descending swags of fruit and seashells enclosing the central panel; inscription in an oval cartouche at the bottom; on top, a Holy Roman Imperial crown between two mirrored dolphins, heads downward.

    Notes: The scene is based on the painting (c.1635) of Venus and Adonis by Peter Paul Rubens; the initials, L8G, denote the style of border - other firebacks having the same inscription have the same border - and other borders are denoted by similar inscriptions (e.g. L6G and L7G).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: L8G

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Hampton Court Palace, Richmond, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 1042 (part of the Royal Collection museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).