Firebacks

Edging: astragal & fillet

16 results

  1. 637

    ripley_057.jpg
    590 x 600 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal and fillet edging; date across top of plate.

    Notes: One of a series of backs dating to the 1730s and 40s using the same set of letters and numerals.

    Inscription: 1736

    Manufactured: in 1736 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Mark Ripley Forge & Fireplaces, Northbridge Street, Robertsbridge, East Sussex, England.

  2. 1031

    saxtead_green, limes farmhouse.jpg
    460 x 420 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal and fillet edging; two heater-shaped shields side by side, with a stag trippant crest above centre.

    Notes: The dexter shield: quarterly first and fourth, a saracen's head affronté, erased at the shoulders wreathed about the temples; second and third, three lozenges in fess conjoined within a border; a baronet's inescutcheon in the centre chief. The sinister shield: on a bend cotised three gryphons' heads erased. The identity of the arms has yet to be determined.

    Manufactured: in the 19th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Saxtead, Suffolk, England.

  3. 710

    unknown_06 700 x 515.jpg
    515 x 700 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; figure of a man with a shield, brandishing a sword in his right hand; arched rectangular border with astragal and fillet edging; mirrored swirled foliate design; on top, scallop shell between two descending sea serpents.

    Notes: The figure is probably a mythological subject.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location:.

  4. 988

    unknown_89 910x760.jpg
    910 x 760 mm

    Description: Complex quasi-arched rectangular shape with astragal and fillet edging; within a parallel border and a rococo cartouche an oval shield (argent, a lion rampant sable, crowned, armed and langued gules), surmounted by a ducal coronet, and a bishop's mitre and crozier; above, a bishop's hat with trailing tassels; below, a compartment semie with diamond shapes.

    Notes: Henri-Louis-René de Nos (1717-93) was abbot of Saint-Sauveur de Redon in 1747 and later, successively, Bishop of Rennes and of Verdun.

    Arms: Henri-Louis-René de Nos

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 18th century in France.

    Current location:.

    Citation: Palasi, P., 2014, Plaques de Cheminées Héraldiques (Paris, Éditions Gourcuff-Gradenigo)

  5. 753

    va_29.jpg
    680 x 780 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; parallel astragal and fillet edging; four panels divied by fillets, an orb with a cross at the intersection; top left, naked female figure holding scales in her right hand, a scroll bearing an inscription above her and to her left and right; top right, a naked female figure holding a hawk in her right hand and leading two dogs with her left hand, a scroll bearing an inscription above her and to her left and right; bottom left, a clothed female figure, at her feet a fox attacking a serpent, a scroll bearing an inscription above her and to her left and right; bottom right, a clothed female figure, at her feet hounds chasing and attacking another animal, a scroll bearing an inscription above her and to her left and right.

    Notes: The figures (clockwise from top left) probably represent Justice and Vigilance (both naked), Indifference and Perfidy (both clothed).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: ..T IS V EN SCHADE DAT TROV IS LICHTER DAN PLVME / ICH JAG OM DIE VINDE OFT ICH TROV KOND FINDEN / TROV IS DOET ONTROVE VERDT VERFAVLEN / ONTOVE LOEPT OVER ..AL

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century possibly in the Wallonia area of Belgium.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 142.1898 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Driesch, K. von den , 1990, Handbuch der Ofen-, Kamin- und Takenplatten im Rheinland (Cologne, Rheinland-Verlag).

  6. 762

    va_38.jpg
    600 x 680 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal and fillet edging; oval shield of the Paulet family (three swords, points conjoined in pile), within a cartouche, surmounted by a marquis’s coronet; date split between bottom corners.

    Notes: The arms of Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester, who succeeded to the title in 1674 and was created Duke of Bolton in 1689. The fireback is reported to have come from Grange Farm, Basing House, Hampshire; Basing House was the seat of the Paulets.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 87

    Arms: Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly at Sowley furnace in England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.103-1913 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).