760mm tall

16 results

  1. 1228

    1570 x 760 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; possible twisted rope edging; top centre, date; initials, SP, repeated in top corners; a fleur-de-lys below each pair of initials and the date; between the initials and the date, a flower head, with two more flower heads arranged vertically on each side below the initials.

    Notes: The style of the fleurs-de-lys, and the distictive form of the number '8', indicate that this fireback is one of a small series. Bishop & Miller auction, Stowmarket, Suffolk, 25 May 2022, lot 292 & 23 Feb 2023 lot 250.

    Inscription: SP 1689 SP

    Manufactured: in 1689 possibly in the Shropshire area of England.

    Current location: Bishop & Miller Auctioneers, 19 Charles Industrial Estate, Stowmarket, Suffolk, England.

  2. 875

    bradford-on-avon,_westwood manor 04a.jpg
    1300 x 760 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; double fillet edging (top and sides); repeated 'X' stamp parallel to edging, horizontally across centre, and in two parallel lines from top to centre, dividing top half of plate into three sections; 'daisy' stamp approximately in middle of top left and right sections, repeated four times in triad in top middle section, and thrice along top of bottom section; small roundel stamp repeated 3-3-1 in top left section, and 3-1-3-1 in top right section; date split between top left and right sections; initials split in top centre section.

    Notes: An arrangement with several elements likely to have been repeated on other firebacks.

    Inscription: 16 D[reversed] B 81

    Manufactured: in 1681 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Westwood Manor, Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, England.

    Museum number: 222490 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  3. 1027

    broadway,_lygon arms 01a.jpg
    905 x 760 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; inset twisted rope edging (top and sides); stamp formed of a statuette of an standing angel with left hand at the waist, and holding a sceptre in the right hand; date split either side of angel; initials 'RD' split above date; initials 'IDA' in triad above angel; small face stamp in each top corner.

    Notes: The identity of those to whom the initials refer is not known; the use of the angel statuette is a rare inclusion of a religious motif on an English fireback. A variant of this fireback is at Flaxley Abbey, Gloucestershire.

    Inscription: IDA [triad] / R D / 16 32

    Manufactured: in 1632 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: The Lygon Arms, High Street, Broadway, Worcestershire, England.

  4. 917

    600 x 760 mm

    Description: Rectangular with detached pediment joined by S-curves; cavetto-moulded edging; shield, helm, bird crest and mantling, with date, 1635, split either side of crest; bottom of casting missing due to corrosion.

    Notes: Tentatively identified as the arms of Brooke or Broke of Lapley, Staffordshire (blazon: chequy argent and sable, impaling a chevron between three estoiles); this fireback, or its pattern, have been used as a stamp on another fireback with a later date and initials added separately (see Fireback no. 831).

    Inscription: 16 35

    Arms: poss. Brooke of Staffordshire

    Manufactured: in 1635 in England.

    Current location: Cambridge and County Folk Museum, 2/3 Castle Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.

    (part of the Cambridge and County Folk Museum museum group)

  5. 260

    1060 x 760 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape, with 5-facetted arch; cyma recta moulded edge; oval Tudor royal shield on a cartouche surrounded by a garter, a crown above separating the initials, ER, all on a larger cartouche; on either side a circular Tudor royal shield within a garter, with a crown above each.

    Notes: The word ‘PENSE’ in the garter mottoes is differently spelled on the central stamp — ‘PENCE’ - and the outer stamps — ‘PANSE’ (where the ‘N’ is reversed). The (outer) stamp has been noted above. Three horizontal planklines on central cartouche.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: ER [and Garter mottoes]

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Chiddingstone, Kent, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1950, 'A Rare Group of Wealden Firebacks', Journal of the Iron & Steel Institute, 165, pp. 39-40.

  6. 1175

    640 x 760 mm

    Description: Arch-shaped; fillet edge; Tudor shield, crown (with a circlet of acanthus leaves), garter (motto clockwise) and supporters. Crowned rose on dexter, and crowned portcullis (grid of 16) on sinister side of crown; the supporters, a dragon and a greyhound, stand on separate plinths; on the plinth below the greyhound is the number 28, probably half of the date 1528, the other part missing on the left side.

    Notes: There are several firebacks with the Tudor royal arms that were probably produced in the Spanish Netherlands, perhaps illustrating the association between England and Spain through the marriage of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. The firebacks differ in several small details, such as the form and rotation of the Garter motto, the style of the crown, the positioning of the supporters in relation to the Garter, and the form and size of the crowned rose and portcullis.

    Inscription: HONY SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE / 28

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in 1528 possibly in the Wallonia area of Luxembourg.

    Current location: Consuegra, Toledo, Spain.

  7. 275

    edburton,_tottington manor.jpg
    530 x 760 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with indented arch at bottom; bead within double fillet edging; shield, helm, crest and supporters of Bruce, of Duffryn, Glamorgan; 'Fuimus' inscription above crest; motto in rectangular panel below arms; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; scrolled tendril decoration all round, except at centre bottom where is inserted crowned 'A' between halves of date; mirrored scrolls above shoulders of plate.

    Notes: A modern plate in traditional style; the arms are of Henry Campbell Bruce (1851-1929), the second baron, who succeeded to the title in 1895.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: FVIMVS [We have been] / OFNER NA OFNE ANGAV [Fear him who does not fear death] / 19 A 06

    Arms: Henry Campbell Bruce, 2nd Baron Aberdare

    Manufactured: in 1906 in England.

    Current location: Tottington Manor, Edburton, West Sussex, England.

  8. 127

    1290 x 760 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, crowned Tudor royal shield between a lion passant on the right and a lion passant guardant sinister on the left; in each top corner a crowned four-petal rose, below which, to the right, a left-facing 'imp' with right arm raised, and to the left, a left-facing 'imp' with both arms lowered.

    Notes: One of a large series bearing heraldic stamps.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1925.3 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

  9. 155

    510 x 760 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with paternost bead edging; Hercules/Herakles slaying the Nemean lion on a ground with small trees, his club lying at his feet; above, clouds and sun rays; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical arrangement of swirled tendrils, floral wreath at base; on top, symmetrical arrangement of foliage.

    Notes: The image is taken from an engraving by Gerard de Jode, after Marcus Geeraerts, 1519 - 1591. One of a series of English firebacks which copied 'Dutch' styles, but which were rather crudely modelled. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.27 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

  10. 430

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 066.jpg
    >517 x 760 mm

    Description: Fragment; to the left, rectangular panel with braid edging, vine standard with six bunches of grapes and a cluster at the top; to the right, rectangular panel with wide fillet edging, arched recess with three flower heads in low relief, and in the arch spandrels four 'bullseye' motifs comprising concentric rings deepening towards the centre; on top, a semi-circular panel with fillet edging, within which are the date between the initials, with scattered small rings, below is a pattern of eight linked circles; vestige of another semi-circular panel to the left.

    Notes: Potentially a fragment of a large fireback, the vestage of a second semi-circular arched panel on top offers the possibility that several other panels originally existed further to the right. The two surviving panels combine elements from two separate sub-groups of firebacks that were moulded from individual, interchangeable panels, indicating that the sub-groups originated from a common source.

    Inscription: I 1598 R

    Manufactured: in 1598 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.083 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).