Firebacks

Manufactured in 1598

  1. 71

    godalming_museum 02.jpg
    450 x >296 mm

    Description: Fragment; upper half of an arched rectangular shaped fireback; fillet edging; divided into two halves; left half - naked female figure of Truth holding scales in right hand, surrounded by motto ribbon bearing the text: HET IS V EEN SCHADE DAT TROVE IS LICHTER DAN EEN PLV; right half - naked female figure of Vigilance, a bird seated on her right hand, and with two dogs on leads held in her left hand, surrounded by a motto ribbon bearing the text: ICH IAGE OM DIE VINDEN OFT ICH TROVE KONDE VINDEN; initials between scales; date divided by cross of an orb forming the centre of the four intended panels.

    Notes: The complete fireback has four figures (clockwise from top left) representing Truth, Vigilance (both naked), Indifference and Perfidy (both clothed).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: SG 1598 HET IS V EEN SCHADE DAT TROVE IS LICHTER DAN EEN PLV / ICH IAGE OM DIE VINDEN OFT ICH TROVE KONDE VINDEN

    Manufactured: in 1598 possibly in the Lorraine area of Germany.

    Current location: Godalming Museum, Godalming, Surrey, England.

    Museum number: B980.407 (part of the Godalming Museum museum group)

    Citation: Seewaldt, P. v., 1988, Herdgussplatten: Katalog der Herdgussplatten des Rheinischen Landesmuseums Trier (Trier, Rheinisches Landesmuseum).

  2. 430

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 066.jpg
    >517 x 760 mm

    Description: Fragment; to the left, rectangular panel with braid edging, vine standard with six bunches of grapes and a cluster at the top; to the right, rectangular panel with wide fillet edging, arched recess with three flower heads in low relief, and in the arch spandrels four 'bullseye' motifs comprising concentric rings deepening towards the centre; on top, a semi-circular panel with fillet edging, within which are the date between the initials, with scattered small rings, below is a pattern of eight linked circles; vestige of another semi-circular panel to the left.

    Notes: Potentially a fragment of a large fireback, the vestage of a second semi-circular arched panel on top offers the possibility that several other panels originally existed further to the right. The two surviving panels combine elements from two separate sub-groups of firebacks that were moulded from individual, interchangeable panels, indicating that the sub-groups originated from a common source.

    Inscription: I 1598 R

    Manufactured: in 1598 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.083 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 475

    lynchmere,_shulbrede 03.jpg
    795 x 750 mm

    Description: Composite of three elements; central panel has a complex ‘knot’ pattern with a fillet edge; side panel, repeated on either side of the central panel, contains a vase of flowers, possibly stylised thistles, within an arched frame and fillet edge; arched panel above, also with fillet edge, contains the date and inscription; the spandrels of the side panels, and the arched top panel, contain a series of 'bullseye' motifs comprising concentric rings deepening towards the centre.

    Notes: One of an unusual series formed from separate panels arranged, in this instance, with the outer panel repeated.‘Knot’ patterns were popular in gardens of the period. The garden theme is continued with the side panels. A version of the same design, recorded in a photograph of 1904 at Willesden, London, is a different casting, the top panel with the date and initials, being straight not slightly askew as in this example.

    Inscription: 1598 / IM IB

    Manufactured: in 1598 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Linchmere, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 1063

    va_e4376-2000.jpg
    ~790 x ~745 mm

    Description: Composite of three elements; central panel has a complex ‘knot’ pattern with a fillet edge; side panel, repeated on either side of the central panel, contains a vase of flowers, possibly stylised thistles, within an arched frame and fillet edge; arched panel above, also with fillet edge, contains the date and inscription; the spandrels of the side panels, and the arched top panel, contain a series of circular motifs comprising concentric rings deepening towards the centre.

    Notes: ‘Knot’ patterns were popular in gardens of the period. The garden theme is continued with the side panels. An example of the same design, noted at Linchmere, West Sussex, is a different casting, the top panel with the date and initials being slightly askew. From a photograph in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London; photographed at Mapesbury House, Willesden in 1904.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1598 / IM IB

    Manufactured: in 1598 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

    Museum number: E.4376-2000 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)