Firebacks

450mm wide

  1. 234

    cardiff,_st fagans 11.jpg
    450 x 535 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped; cavetto moulded edging, scalloped top and sides; Prince of Wales’ badge of three ostrich feathers emerging through a coronet; symmetrical scroll with elaborate swirls, bearing motto; monogrammed initials at bottom, left of centre.

    Notes: The scalloped edging and RN monogram have been noted on other firebacks, suggesting a common pattern maker. Formerly from Burwash, Sussex.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: ICH DIEN / RN

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 20.177/1 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 71

    godalming_museum 02.jpg
    450 x >296 mm

    Description: Fragment; upper half of an arched rectangular shaped fireback; fillet edging; divided into two halves; left half - naked female figure of Truth holding scales in right hand, surrounded by motto ribbon bearing the text: HET IS V EEN SCHADE DAT TROVE IS LICHTER DAN EEN PLV; right half - naked female figure of Vigilance, a bird seated on her right hand, and with two dogs on leads held in her left hand, surrounded by a motto ribbon bearing the text: ICH IAGE OM DIE VINDEN OFT ICH TROVE KONDE VINDEN; initials between scales; date divided by cross of an orb forming the centre of the four intended panels.

    Notes: The complete fireback has four figures (clockwise from top left) representing Truth, Vigilance (both naked), Indifference and Perfidy (both clothed).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: SG 1598 HET IS V EEN SCHADE DAT TROVE IS LICHTER DAN EEN PLV / ICH IAGE OM DIE VINDEN OFT ICH TROVE KONDE VINDEN

    Manufactured: in 1598 possibly in the Lorraine area of Germany.

    Current location: Godalming Museum, Godalming, Surrey, England.

    Museum number: B980.407 (part of the Godalming Museum museum group)

    Citation: Seewaldt, P. v., 1988, Katalog der Herdgussplatten des Rheinischen Landesmuseums Trier (Trier)

  3. 328

    horsham_museum 06.jpg
    450 x 700 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of a figure in Roman dress, holding a large sword, and holding the head of a bearded man in his left hand; below to the left, a naked, decapitated body; above the winged face of a putto between mirrored, scrolled foliage; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; flowers in chain under the arch and down the sides; at the bottom, swirled foliage; on top, a crown between fruit triads.

    Notes: Possibly Perseus holding the severed head of the Medusa; similarities in the design and execution of the pattern suggest a common source with contemporary English firebacks.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Horsham Museum, Causeway, Horsham, West Sussex, England.

    (part of the Horsham Museum museum group)

  4. 418

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 052.jpg
    450 x 600 mm

    Description: Cavetto-arched rectangular central panel with bead-and-pellet edging, head and robed shoulders of a laureated man in left profile; cavetto-arched rectangular border with cavetto-moulded edging and arrangement of outward-facing acanthus leaves; on top, scallops on shoulders of border with cornucopiae over arch.

    Notes: A pastiche of the 'Dutch' style of fireback.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.090 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  5. 426

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 061.jpg
    450 x 610 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; suspended from the top, by a ribbon, a ring with a parrot perched thereon, biting a twig in its right claw; below left is a seated child; around this panel is an arched rectangular border with fillet edging containing floral swags hung on ribbons suspended from rings; on top, two serpents.

    Notes: A common design among firebacks produced in Germany for the Dutch market.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.072 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  6. 646

    rochester_03.jpg
    450 x 560 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; bell-flower column repeated on each side; at bottom, central rectangular panel, fillet edged, enclosing outstretched wings; above, intertwined leaves in figure-of-eight, enclosing a crown at the top.

    Notes: This fireback incorporates features of the ‘Dutch’ style but within an English form.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in England.

    Current location: Eastgate House, High Street, Rochester, Kent, England.

    Museum number: A3484 (part of the Rochester Guildhall Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).