Firebacks

670mm tall

16 results

  1. 578

    pet-m-69.jpg
    530 x >670 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with arch; bead-on-fillet edging within a cavetto-moulded border; pictorial representation of a man and woman in the dress of the mid 17th century, with a fruit tree between them.

    Notes: The significance of this design has not been satisfactorily explained. Carpentier suggests it may be a contemporary depiction of Adam and Eve.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/69 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Carpentier, H., 1912, Plaques de Cheminées, Paris.

  2. 622

    ripley_037.jpg
    1170 x 670 mm

    Description: Rectangular with pediment arch; ovolo-moulded edging; central shield, mantling and crest: per pale, on a chevron between three heads erased, as many mullets; crest: a hind’s head erased.

    Notes: No secure identification of the arms. The blazon may be: Per pale on a chevron between three ?gryphons’ heads erased, three mullets (the tinctures are not known). The crest appears to be a hind's head erased.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:, England.

  3. 1081

    schubert_(1950).jpg
    ~655 x ~670 mm

    Description: Arch-shaped, the arch consisting of eight, straight, ovolo-moulded sections; longer ovolo-moulded pieces form the lower sides of the fireback; in the centre a circular garter enclosing the Tudor arms of England; above, a crown; the date was carved on a single stamp and placed below left of the crown.

    Notes: From other examples it is apparent that the crown is formed from a separate stamp to the shield and garter. Formerly at the Anchor Inn, Hartfield, Sussex; later at the Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA, it was deaccessioned in 2003 and sold at auction. Cropped illustration from Schubert 1950.

    Inscription: 1589 / HONI SOIT qVI MAL I PANSE

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in 1589 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:, United States of America.

    Citation: Hannah, I. C., 1919, 'Notes and Queries No. 4 Fire-back from the old Anchor Inn at Hartfield, now in Pennsylvania', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 60, p. 146.

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1950, 'A Rare Group of Wealden Firebacks', Journal of the Iron & Steel Institute, 165, pp. 39-40.

  4. 1116

    ticehurst,_authentic reclamation 07.jpg
    660 x 670 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with ovolo-curved shoulders; astragal eding (top and sides); central stepped cross with initials separated to each side above the date similarly separated.

    Notes: The crucifix suggests a Roman Catholic source; the letters and numerals appear to have been inscribed with a pointed instrument or finger.

    Inscription: AR / 17 61

    Manufactured: in 1761 in France.

    Current location: Authentic Reclamation, Lymden Lane, Ticehurst, East Sussex, England.

  5. 705

    tiverton_castle 05.jpg
    528 x 670 mm

    Description: Stove side plate; cavetto moulded edging; upper panel, Ionic column and pedestal to left; six courtly scenes separated by arches and columns; lower panel, two circular frames, each with a figure, male to the left, female to the right, decorative scroll work between.

    Notes: Possibly a graphic retelling of the parable of the Unjust Steward (Luke 16: 1-13)

    Inscription: [illegible]

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Tiverton Castle, Tiverton, Devon, England.

  6. 737

    va_13.jpg
    960 x 670 mm

    Description: Armorial within complex ovolo moulded edging on all sides; two plank lines; the achievement is distinguished by the elaborately festooned mantling, the whole resting on a boat-shaped compartment.

    Notes: The arms, which are those of an esquire, may be those of John Trevor, the son of Sir John Trevor, one of Charles II’s Secretaries of State. He married Elizabeth, widow of William Morley, of Glynde, Sussex, from whom passed the Glynde estates. The arms on this fireback have been variously attributed to Lord Dacre (a descendant of John Trevor), and Col. Marcus Trevor, 1st Viscount Dungannon. The distinctive shape is seen in similar form on several other armorial firebacks, suggesting a continuity of pattern making, if not the same pattern maker. Many copies of this fireback exist.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Trevor family, of Glynde

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: 142.1892 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Starkie Gardner, J., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.