Firebacks

540mm wide

  1. 110

    hastings_001.jpg
    540 x 780 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with fillet and bead edging, Neptune/Poseidon, holding a trident in his right hand, sitting in a scallop shell drawn by four mythical sea horses, behind are two mermaids; arched rectangular shaped border with ovolo egg and dart edging; above, two symmetrical dolphins with a clam shell between.

    Notes: Typical type of fireback produced in Germany by Dutch pattern makers; the central panel was made separately for intsertion into different borders; this border is a relatively simple type.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 952.51.36 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  2. 915

    honiton,_marwood house 02b.jpg
    540 x 578 mm

    Description: Rectangular with superimposed arch; embattled, cavetto-moulded edging, with the top edge of the rectangle interrupted; quartered shield, helm, crest and mantling.

    Notes: The arms appear to be those of the family of Armeston of Burbage, Leicestershire, possibly Thomas Armeston (c1606-85), 2nd son of Thomas Armeston (d.1640), sometime MP for Leicestershire: 1st and 4th (Armeston) sable a chevron between three spear heads argent with a crescent for difference, 2nd (unknown) three chevronels with a rose in a canton, 3rd (unknown) a fess between two chevronels, a crescent for difference over all. The Armeston crest is a dragon's head erased vert scaled or and charged with a crescent of the same for difference; the crescent is the mark of cadency for the second son; in this instance the arms appear to be of a second son descended from a second son in an earlier generation. The embattled edging and superimposed arch are features of a series of firebacks dated 1619.

    Arms: Armeston, of Burbage, Leicestershire

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Honiton, Devon, England.

  3. 1108

    islington,_criterion auctions.jpg
    540 x 810 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; Greek Key border with fillet edges; in high relief, in front of swagged drapery, the shield of, quarterly, France quartering England, Scotland and Ireland, surrounded by a Garter, and surmounted by a ducal coronet; below, the inscription in capitals.

    Notes: The use of the Greek Key design as a border is believed to be unique for an English fireback. The arms are indistinct but appear to be the Stuart arms of the reign of Queen Anne before the union with Scotland in 1707, which were anachronistic by 1732. Also, the superposition of a ducal coronet in place of the royal crown is unusual. Sowley Furnace, near Beaulieu in Hampshire, was owned in 1732 by John, 2nd Duke of Montagu, and was let to Miles Troughton. Criterion Auctions, Islington, 7 Jan 2019.

    Inscription: HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE / SOWLEY MDCCXXXII

    Arms: Stuart royal (1707-14) France/England, Scotland and Ireland

    Manufactured: in 1732 at Sowley furnace in the New Forest area of England.

    Current location: Criterion Auctions, 53, Essex Road, Islington, London, England.

  4. 376

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 011.jpg
    540 x >510 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edge on top and sides. Shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Worshipful Company of Joiners and Ceilers.

    Notes: Blazon: Gules a Chevron Argent between in chief two pairs of Compasses extended at the points and in base a sphere Or. On a chief of the second a pale Azure between two Roses of the field barbed and seeded proper, the pale charged with an Escallop of the second; Crest: a demi Savage proper wreathed about the head and waist with Leaves Vert holding in the dexter hand over the shoulder a Tilting Spear Or headed Argent; arms granted 1571.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Joiners and Ceilers

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.938 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 555

    pet-m-47.jpg
    540 x 858 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with overlapping leaf edging; pictorial scene of Poseidon/Neptune holding a trident in this right hand, and grasping the reins of two hippocampi in his left hand; beneath his feet a scallop shell, and to his lower left a putto blowing a horn; suspended above him an assemblage of shells; stepped-arched rectangular shaped border with scalloped fillet edging; top centre, scallop shell with a descending arrangment of seashells and seaweed; on top, a scallop shell between two putti and below them, two dolphins.

    Notes: An uncharacteristically elaborate version of the usual 'Dutch' style of fireback, suggesting a later date, or possibly a pastiche.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 18th century in Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/47 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  6. 684

    sevenoaks,_absaloms farm 02.jpg
    540 x 620 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; an inverted, cabled anchor surmounted by a crown, flanked by one initial each side; arched rectangular border with cavetto-moulded edging; top centre, face of a putto with flowing leaf arrangement descending each side.

    Notes: An English pastiche of the ‘Dutch’ style of fireback, which became popular in the second half of the seventeenth century. One of a small series of firebacks with similar proportions and detail. Much copied.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: C R

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Sevenoaks, Kent, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 1017

    unknown_93 540x760.jpg
    540 x 760 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with fillet edging; central seated female with an infant in her arms, a swan at her feet and a standing child on each side, the one to her left facing the front and holding aloft a flaming heart, its foot on a ball; the child to her right facing the woman, holding aloft a branch in its left hand, all on a ground with an overhanging tree to the right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging with descending festoons of acanthus flowers on each side, the date and initials at the bottom and, at the top on each side, a pair of acanthus flowers descending from a heart-shaped terminal of a strapwork frame; above, mirrored swirls of foliage.

    Notes: The central pictorial scene is a crude pastiche of a panel portraying an allegory of Charity frequently used on firebacks produced in the Siegerland of north-west Germany for the Dutch market in the second half of the seventeenth century. The swirled foliage on the top is typical of English 'Dutch' style firebacks of the early-eighteenth century and the numerals are also more typically English in style.

    Inscription: 17 . IAK[?] 31

    Manufactured: in 1731 in England.

    Current location:.

  8. 739

    va_15.jpg
    540 x 540 mm

    Description: Rectangular; a crowned lion fighting a boar in high relief on a raised bottom panel; above, a stamp formed from a fleur-de-lys on a bracket repeated three times, centre left and right corners; two angled shields and two sunburst discs.

    Notes: The shields probably signify civic or personal allegiance; the symbolism of the fighting beasts is not known.

    Inscription: P T

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in Germany.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.576-1926 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

  9. 754

    va_30.jpg
    540 x 745 mm

    Description: Rectangular; flanged edging; two panels at top, each with double astragal edging, containing the figures of St James and St Peter; plain panel below with same dging; bottom panel with fillet edging containing carved stamps of scrolled foliage and beasts.

    Notes: Carved religious figures are common on stove-plates.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.334-1940 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)