Firebacks

Edging: ovolo

105 results

  1. 870

    lyon_and_turnbull_1_sep_2021_lot_10,_640x840.jpg
    640 x 840 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with ovolo-moulded edging and narrow extensions to sides; central shield bearing arms with lion rampant supporters and motto scroll beneath; above, a marquesal coronet; date split between top corners; inserted initials above coronet; on top of arch, two downward facing dolphins with tails entwined.

    Notes: The arms are of the family of Henry Pierrepont, marquess of Dorchester and earl of Kingston-upon-Hull, of Thoresby Hall, Nottinghamshire (blazon: argent semi of cinquefoils gules, a lion rampant sable), with the motto: Pie Repone Te (Place yourself piously), a pun on the name, Pierrepont. Confusingly, the marquisate of Dorchester was created twice for members of the same family. In 1645 it was created for Henry Pierrepont, 2nd earl of Kingston-upon-Hull, becoming extinct on his death without surviving male issue in 1680. It was created again for Evelyn Pierrepont, the 5th earl of Kingston in 1706 who was subsequently elevated to the dukedom of Kingston in 1715. The original casting may therefore have dated to between 1645 and 1680 or between 1706 and 1715. The unidentified initials were probably added with the date in 1728. Lyon and Turnbull auction, Edinburgh, 1 Sep 2021, lot 10.

    Inscription: A H / 17 28 / PIE REPONE TE

    Arms: Pierrepont, Marquess of Dorchester

    Manufactured: in 1728 in England.

    Current location: in private hands Edinburgh, Mid-Lothian, Scotland.

  2. 1016

    mallams,_abingdon lot 1208 8 sep 2014 830x650.jpg
    830 x 650 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; Tudor royal shield within a cartouche, garter, crown, motto and supporters (crowned lion and dragon); Tudor rose to right of lion’s head, portcullis to left of dragon’s head.

    Notes: The cartouche enclosing the shield is an unusual feature. A recasting.

    Inscription: Garter and Royal mottoes [not legible]

    Arms: Tudor royal (prob. Elizabeth I)

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in England.

    Current location:.

  3. 1045

    marc_maison 02.jpg
    790 x 970 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; top centre, oval shield of arms within a cartouche, supported by two unicorns rampant reguardant, their hooves resting on a scrolled compartment; behind the shield is the cape of the Président à mortier of the Parliament; above the shield, a velvet cap or mortar board of office within a coronet.

    Notes: Blazon: azure, on a maltese cross argent a chevron gules between two mullets sable, and in base a rose gules. Louis-Michel Lepeletier, Marquis de Saint-Fargeau (1760-93) was a French parliamentarian. Having voted for the execution of Louis XVI Lepeletier was assassinated by a former guard of the king. The fireback dates from 1789 or later when Lepeletier was elected Président à mortier.

    Arms: Louis-Michel Lepeletier, Marquis de Saint-Fargeau

    Manufactured: in the late 18th century in France.

    Current location: 120 Rue de Rosiers, Saint Ouen, Seine-Saint-Denis, France.

  4. 1072

    mathern,_moynes court 03.jpg
    >920 x 750 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); date top centre; initials split below date.

    Notes: The initials are believed to relate to Thomas Hughes (1604-64), MP and Governor of Chepstow Castle, who lived at Moynes Court, Mathern; a slightly larger variant of the same date but without initials has been noted; the right edge is concealed behind stonework.

    Inscription: 1658 / T H

    Manufactured: in 1658 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales.

  5. 485

    mayfield,_hunts barn.jpg
    896 x 535 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo moulded edging (top and sides), except for middle section on top, where twisted rope is used; quasi-symmetrical arrangement of twisted rope lengths in two rows of alternate diagonals, crossing in the middle on the top row, and crossing on the outside on the bottom.

    Notes: The section of rope edging on the top suggests that an arch had been removed from the base pattern board. The arrangement of rope lengths may have apotropaic significance, the double 'v' alluding to the Virgin Mary.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Mayfield, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Easton, T. & Hodgkinson, J. S., 2013, 'Apotropaic Symbols on Cast-Iron Firebacks', Jnl. of the Antique Metalware Soc., 21, pp. 14-33.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 672

    mayfield,_middle house.jpg
    613 x 455 mm

    Description: Rectangular with pediment; ovolo moulded edging inside top of pediment and inside top and sides of rectangle; central talbot crest within wreath and eight-pointed star, between four fleurs-de-lys.

    Notes: The wreath and talbot crest are identical to those on a 1584 fireback in the Victoria & Albert Museum; one of the ‘Royal’ series.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Middle House Hotel, High Street, Mayfield, East Sussex, England.

  7. 491

    michelham_005.jpg
    890 x 673 mm

    Description: Armorial; one plank line; shield, supporters, helm, crest and garter of the Sackville family: quarterly or and gules, a bend vair.

    Notes: The arms of Thomas Sackville (1527-1608), created 1st Baron Buckhurst in 1567 and invested Knight of the Garter in 1589. He was MP for East Grinstead. He was created 1st Earl of Dorset in 1604; the back therefore dates between 1589 and 1604.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: HONI ... MAL Y PEN ...

    Arms: Sackville, Baron Buckhurst

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 1916, 'Old Wealden Firebacks', The Connoisseur, 46, pp. 197-209.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 492

    michelham_006.jpg
    374 x 540 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel; fillet and ovolo edging; a ring suspended with drapery, supporting a bird, its wings displayed and inverted, looking to the right, with a small roundel below it in each corner; arched rectangular border with fillet edging, and symmetrical drapery in the arch; and indistinct figure on each side, and indistinct foliage below; on top, a scllop shell between two descending serpents.

    Notes: A bird, usually a parrot, perching on a suspended ring can be seen on other firebacks produced in the Siegerland for the Dutch market in the latter part of the 17th century.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  9. 496

    michelham_010.jpg
    810 x 690 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo moulded edging; plain panel at bottom; Tudor royal shield, garter, crown, motto and supporters (crowned lion and dragon), temp. Elizabeth I; the top of the lion's crown and the dragon's ear overlap the edging.

    Notes: Another version has a rose and portcullis either side of the crown, and the top of the lion's crown and the dragon's ear do not overlap the edging.

    Inscription: [Garter] HONI SOIT QVI MAL E PENSE / [motto] DIEV ET MON DROIT.

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.999 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 498

    midhurst,_cowdray house 01.jpg
    <750 x 765 mm

    Description: Arched plate; ovolo moulding edging; shield, supporters, coronet, helm, crest and motto of Viscount Montague; quarterly Browne, Albini, Fitzalan, Fitzalan of Clare, Warren, Maltravers, Nevill, Montagu, Monthermer, Inglethorpe, Burghe, Delapole, Bradeston, Tiptoft, Charleton and Kent (Plantagenet); supporters: two bears collared and chained; the crest: an eagle, the wings elevated and displayed.

    Notes: The arms of either the 2nd (Anthony-Maria Browne, succ. 1592-1629) or 3rd viscount (Francis Browne succ. 1629-1682) - the 1st viscount was a Knight of the Garter and no garter is shown; the style of the modelling bears similarities to that on the 1618 series of firebacks and may be the work of the same pattern-maker.

    Inscription: VERITATE DUCE [Be led by Truth]

    Arms: Viscount Montague

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in England.

    Current location: Cowdray House, Midhurst, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Gardner, J. S., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.