Edging: ovolo

101 results

  1. 972

    bristol,_red lodge museum 02a.jpg
    760 x 924 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with ovolo-moulded edging and extensions to sides and top; central shield bearing arms with lion rampant supporters and motto scroll beneath; above, a marquesal coronet; date (over-pressed) in extension above main panel; inserted initials (slightly over-pressed) on either side of coronet.

    Notes: The arms are of the family of Pierrepont, marquesses of Dorchester and later dukes of Kingston-upon-Hull, of Thoresby Hall, Nottinghamshire (blazon: argent semi of cinquefoils gules, a lion rampant sable), with the motto: Pie Repone Te (Place yourself piously), a pun on the name, Pierrepont. The original casting must have dated to between 1706 and 1715, during the marquisate, with the unidentified initials added to a subsequent casting which, in turn, is likely to have pre-dated the addition of the dated extensions which have obliterated 'Dutch'-style dolphins known to have surmounted the original.

    Inscription: 1722 / I H / PIE REPONE TE

    Arms: Pierrepont, Marquess of Dorchester

    Manufactured: in 1722 in England.

    Current location: Red Lodge, Park Row, Bristol, England.

    Museum number: NX420 (part of the Bristol Museums, Galleries and Archives museum group)

  2. 1002

    broadway,_ashmolean museum 04.jpg
    785 x 1095 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of a seated female figure resting against a hurdle, holding an anchor, a child on each side of her, the one on the left standing clutching corn stalks, the one on the right sitting also holding the anchor and a circular object; a bird sits on a post; arched rectangular border with bead edging; fructal and floral festoons suspended on ribbons with two putti at the top and two on each side; in the left and right bottom corners, the initials 'HH' and 'S' respectively; at the bottom, a central cartouche with date, between floral swags; on top, twin spirals between descending floral festoons.

    Notes: The figure is an allegory of Hope. The theft in 1699 from a Thames-side warehouse of several firebacks, including '3 of Hope with an Anchor' may refer to this type (Post Boy 11-14 Nov. 1699). A recasting.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: [?H]H ...

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Ashmolean Museum Broadway, 65 High Street, Broadway, Worcestershire, England.

    (part of the Ashmolean Museum museum group)

  3. 621

    butleigh_court tower.jpg
    790 x 710 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo moulded edging (top and sides); central shield, crest and mantling of the Fuller family. The date, of which the 1 is not visible, is split between the top corners of the shield and about two-thirds of the way down.

    Notes: A carved armorial on a plain, edged base board; the arms of the Fullers of Brightling Park, Sussex, are: Argent, three bars and a canton gules; the crest; Out of a ducal coronet Or, a lion’s head argent. The Fullers were iron masters and gun founders in the first half of the 18th century, operating Heathfield furnace, where it is likely that this fireback was cast.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: [1] 7 / 4 7

    Arms: Fuller, of Brightling, Sussex

    Manufactured: in 1747 probably at Heathfield furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Butleigh, Somerset, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 1070

    cardiff,_st fagans 18.jpg
    ? x ? mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging; two fleurs-de-lys arranged vertically top left and top right; top centre, date; below date, initials WEI in triad.

    Notes: Said to have been made by George White, iron founder, of Monmouth. Formerly from Newport, Monmouthshire.

    Inscription: 1668 / W E I [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1668 possibly at Tintern furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 25.21 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Kissack, K., 2003, Monmouth and its Buildings (Almeley, Logaston Press).

  5. 856

    chailey,_warren farmhouse 02.jpg
    1207 x 610 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); otherwise plain.

    Notes: A base board, possibly used for other firebacks.

    Manufactured: in the 16th or 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Chailey, East Sussex, England.

  6. 957

    chateau_de duras.jpg
    ~914 x ~940 mm

    Description: Upon a rectangular base plinth, an arched rectangular, ovolo-moulded panel containing a draped cloth (disclosing on the reverse the arms of Duras) upon which two oval shields are surmounted by a ducal coronet, and encircled by the collars of the Orders of St Michel and Saint-Esprit. Behind the cloth are crossed batons of a Marshal of France; on each side are flattened S-scrolls with tassels.

    Notes: In all probability the arms of Jean-Baptiste de Durfort, Duc de Duras (1684-1770), created Marshal of France in 1741.

    Arms: Durfort, duc de Duras

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 18th century in France.

    Current location: Chateau de Duras, Duras, Lot-et-Garonne, France.

  7. 824

    christies_10-06-11 6359 710x650.jpg
    710 x 650 mm

    Description: Rectangular with complex quasi-arched rectangular top; ovolo moulded edging; shield with Royal arms of France in a swirled cartouche; above, an English crown; below to right and left, a prancing stag.

    Notes: The combination of the English crown and French arms is common and may relate to the marriage of Charles I and Princess Henrietta Maria of France in 1625; although the framing of the pattern is very similar to others of the same basic design, the style suggests a different pattern maker. Christie's auction 21 Jun 2011 lot 208.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: France modern

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

  8. 845

    christies_24-05-01 458mm x 420mm.jpg
    458 x 420 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); from top: double star stamp repeated four times; date between two triads of the same initials, the 'Y' and the 'N' reversed; stylised fleur-de-lys below each pair of initials, with a large hollow fleur-de-lys in the centre.

    Notes: The initials 'NYM' in triad probably relate to a couple whose surname initial was 'Y'; a fireback, dated 1659, with some of the same stamps is at the Dean Heritage Centre, Soudley, Gloucestershire, and another, dated 1667, has been noted at Upper End Farm, Hope Mansell, Herefordshire. Christie's auction, 24 May 2001.

    Inscription: NYM [triad] 1669 NYM [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1669 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location:.

  9. 47

    cuckfield,_legh manor 02.jpg
    1220 x 850 mm

    Description: Rectangular with canted top corners; ovolo-moulded edging (except base); top centre, cherub face and wings; below, date separated by initials in triad on either side of which a stag statant on a chapeau.

    Notes: The cherub is similar, but not identical to those on a fireback, of 1713, from Ashburnham, and the layout and edging are also similar.

    Inscription: 17 ICI [triad] 30

    Manufactured: in 1730 possibly at Ashburnham furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Cuckfield, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 52

    dartford_museum 01.jpg
    655 x 670 mm

    Description: Arch-shaped, the arch consisting of eight, straight, ovolo-moulded sections; longer ovolo-moulded pieces form the lower sides of the fireback; in the centre a circular garter enclosing the Tudor arms of England; above, a crown; the date was carved on a single stamp and placed left of the crown.

    Notes: From other examples it is apparent that the crown is formed from a separate stamp to the shield and garter. Formerly at Knole, Sevenoaks, and later at Horton Court Lodge, Monks Horton, Kent.

    Inscription: 1589 / HONI SOIT qVI MAL I PANSE

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in 1589 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Dartford Museum, Dartford, Kent, England.

    Museum number: 1938-141 (part of the Dartford Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1950, 'A Rare Group of Wealden Firebacks', Journal of the Iron & Steel Institute, 165, pp. 39-40.