Firebacks

Shape: rectangular

260 results

  1. 442

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 082.jpg
    >680 x 740 mm

    Description: Fragment: right part only; rectangular; twisted rope edging; lion passant with rose stamped twice above and below rear end, crowned rose below fore end; bottom right corner, two small walking figures, one with both arms down, the other with right arm raised.

    Notes: One of a series with the same and other stamps.

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH001.005 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  2. 444

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 084.jpg
    812 x 480 mm

    Description: Rectangular; top and side edging formed from the repeated stamping of a short length of twisted rope; three gothic panels arranged horizontally, the centre one wider than the other two, each panel a symmetrical arrangement of tracery patterns with an inverted ogee arch on top incorporating two flowers; a separate fleur-de-lys stamp has been repeated above each panel.

    Notes: The panels were probably derived from a dismantled wooden chest or hutch table, c.1500. Their gothic style belies the probable age of the fireback, such chests already being old when their parts might have been re-used. The same panels are on a fireback at Nymans, Handcross.

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: East Grinstead Museum, East Grinstead, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.796 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 1916, 'Old Wealden Firebacks', The Connoisseur, 46, pp. 197-209.

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 447

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 087.jpg
    912 x 568 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging; inscription across top of plate, numerals, except '2', larger than letters, 'A' raised above 'I' and 'M'.

    Notes: A late, and rather unsophisticated example of the use of individual stamps.

    Inscription: 17 IAM 32

    Manufactured: in 1732 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.950 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 448

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 088a.jpg
    1025 x 585 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); fleur de lys arranged in a pattern of 20, in three rows: 7-6-7.

    Notes: A type of fleur-de-lys used on firebacks possibly cast at Pounsley Furnace.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hall Place, Bexley, Kent, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.039 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  5. 450

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 090.jpg
    1067 x 622 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging; central crowned Tudor shield with lion passant guardant sinister to the left, and lion passant to right; four-petalled rose in right and left corners; crowned, barbed, four-petalled rose below shield.

    Notes: One of a large series bearing some or all of the same stamps.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Barbican House, High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.800 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

  6. 451

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 091.jpg
    1820 x 630 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); basic arrangement of crowned Tudor rose above a crowned Tudor royal shield, all between a crowned lion passant guardant sinister and lion passant, both per bend, repeated on both halves of the plate; irregularly arranged, mainly along the top and bottom, are sixteen small figures, alternately with right arm raised or lowered; bottom left and centre right are two different arrangements of a length of twisted rope in 'V' and 'I'.

    Notes: The stamps used on this large fireback are encountered on several firebacks indicating their common source; previously at Legh Manor, Cuckfield, Sussex.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.937 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1957, History of the British Iron and Steel Industry (London, Routledge), pp. 256-264.

  7. 453

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 093.jpg
    >520 x 525 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging; irregular arrangement of three rope lengths at top left; rope cross above V at middle bottom; impression of a pair of scissors between two impressions of a domestic table knife.

    Notes: The knife is early-17th century in date or perhaps a bit earlier, just into Elizabeth Is reign. The pommels date them from around this time and the long and narrow blades are right for the end of Elizabeth/early James I. The irregular rope lengths suggest this is probably part of a larger fireback.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.939 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Moore, S., 1999, Cutlery for the Table (Sheffield, The Hallamshire Press).

  8. 457

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 097.jpg
    >432 x 620 mm

    Description: Fragment; right part, prob. rectangular; twisted strip edging (top and sides); stamp of firedog with semi-circular feet, and with shields at top and bottom of shaft, the lower with quartered arms, the upper with diagonal bar over a rectangle (gate?); horizontal twisted strip length to left of firedog.

    Notes: The twisted lengths clearly show the flattened form of a strip of material (poss. leather).

    Manufactured: in the 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.914 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  9. 458

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 098b.jpg
    510 x 460 mm

    Description: Fragment; bottom left corner missing; rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging; initials split by date across top of plate.

    Notes: The numerals show the transition between archaic and modern type styles.

    Inscription: S 1753 W

    Manufactured: in 1753 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.922 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  10. 1050

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 111.jpg
    645 x 393 mm

    Description: Rectangular; triple-moulded edging (top and sides); top left, initials RKI in triad; top right, date.

    Notes: The initials probably relate to a husband and wife, the top initial being that of their surname.

    Inscription: RKI [triad] 1683

    Manufactured: in 1683 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.921 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)