Firebacks

Shape: rectangular

260 results

  1. 1172

    kensal_green,_retrouvius_a.jpg
    720 x 410 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); to each side, two saltires formed of crossed lengths of twisted rope; in between, and repeated seven times, a circular stamp decorated in low relief with a central disc perforated in the centre, surrounded by a circle inside a square looped at each corner, the sides of which are echoed twice on each side; the stamps are arranged in two rows, of three and four, in the upper part of the plate.

    Notes: A boldly cast fireback with an excrescence top centre caused by disturbance of the casting sand by the pouring of the iron.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Retrouvius, 1016 Harrow Rd, Kensal Green, Brent, London, England.

  2. 357

    knowle,_baddesley clinton 02.jpg
    550 x 697 mm

    Description: Stove side plate; ovolo moulded edging; upper panel, pictorial scene of Jesus and the woman of Samaria (John: 4), with inscription below; lower panel, two circular frames, each with a figure, male to the right, female to the left, decorative scroll work between.

    Notes: Stove plates were often used as firebacks once the stoves had been replaced by more efficient ones.

    Inscription: VON DEN FREWLEIN VON SAMARIA IOHAN 4

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Eifel area of Germany.

    Current location: Baddesley Clinton Hall, Knowle, Warwickshire, England.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

  3. 362

    lamberhurst,_scotney castle 04.jpg
    559 x 507 mm

    Description: Rectangle; no edging; date just above centre; initials above date.

    Notes: The disparity between the quality of the stamping of the date and initials may be because the date has been stamped from a single block. There are stylistic similarities with the memorial plate to John and Ann Luck, dated 1771, in Wadhurst church porch, Sussex.

    Inscription: I H / 1776

    Manufactured: in 1776 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Scotney Castle, Lamberhurst, Kent, England.

    Museum number: NT/SCO/oc/M/190 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 366

    leicester,_guildhall 02.jpg
    545 x 410 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal edging; shield motto and crest of the family of Lawrence.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: IN GOD IS MY TRUST

    Arms: Lawrence

    Manufactured: in the late 19th to early 20th century in England.

    Current location: Guildhall, Leicester, Leicestershire, England.

    (part of the Leicester City Museums museum group)

  5. 1097

    leland_little auctions 3 mar 18 lot 260 hillsborough nc 699x635.jpg
    699 x 635 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto-moulded edging; [?]fillet frame parallel with edging; on top, central date between two groups of initials in triad, with six 'daisy heads' above; on each side, vertical line of at least four squared cross stamps; inside frame, four fleurs-de-lys between two oval 'buttons' on a rectangular base at least five 'daisy heads' in a vertical line on each side.

    Notes: A significant fireback, it comprises decorative stamps from at least three series of firebacks produced in the Forest of Dean area, linking their production to the same (unidentified) ironworks. The attached grate is of 19th century construction.

    Inscription: THM [triad] 1669 THM [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1669 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location:, United States of America.

  6. 371

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 006.jpg
    1170 x 770 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging on top and sides; approximately symmetrical arrangement of repeated stamps formed from Gothic tracery cresting (5), fleurs de lys (12 - one over-stamped by a Gothic tracery stamp), butter mould stamps (3), crowned butter mould stamps (3), and rope patterns.

    Notes: Many of the stamps employed on this fireback are seen, with other stamps, on a wide variety of firebacks, suggesting a common source; similar gothic tracery stamps can be seen as pierced cresting on a rare late-Medieval, wooden Easter sepulchre at the redundant church of St Michael at Cowthorpe, North Yorkshire. Correspondence with stamps used on side panels cast with other examples point to this fireback being cast at Pounsley Furnace, Sussex.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.940 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 373

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 008.jpg
    1140 x 550 mm

    Description: Rectangular, edged with twisted leather lengths on top and sides; three stamps of a ballock dagger (390mm) with hollow-ground cruciform blade, point down, arranged vertically; between each, two short lengths of twisted leather, arranged in a cross; at either end, the same short lengths of dowel arranged in an inverted ‘V’.

    Notes: The dagger dates from c1575-1625. The probable use of twisted leather is hitherto unknown. The grouping of three daggers may also have apotropaic significance in relation to the Trinity.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.035 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Easton, T. & Hodgkinson, J. S., 2013, 'Apotropaic Symbols on Cast-Iron Firebacks', Jnl. of the Antique Metalware Soc., 21, pp. 14-33.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 375

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 010.jpg
    1035 x 450 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); central rope carbuncle with eight arms, with a rose between each of the top six pairs of arms; a fleur-de-lys repeated six times in two triads (2-1) in each top corner; a letter ‘E’ rotated clockwise repeated 8 times along the top between the fleurs and roses, and twice down each side; four additional ‘E’s, one to the left of the carbuncle and three to the right.

    Notes: All the stamps can be seen on other firebacks associating them with the same source; The ‘E’s are identical to those seen on the John Harvo armorial fireback.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.076 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hughes, G. B., May 1940, 'Old English Firebacks', Apollo, 31, 185, pp. 117-120.

  9. 379

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 014.jpg
    1020 x 620 mm

    Description: Rectangular; single moulded edge on top and sides; bold date and initials, formed from large individual characters, on same line across full width of plate; otherwise plain. Side lifting lug on top right.

    Notes: The style of the numerals, particularly the 6 and 5, can be seen on a smaller fireback of 1656. Lifting handles are only seen on a few firebacks.

    Inscription: 1653 IHA

    Manufactured: in 1653 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.044 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 382

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 017.jpg
    1050 x 660 mm

    Description: Rectangular; broad fillet edging; ‘IhS’ stamp repeated five times (4-1-4) centrally.

    Notes: The use of the christogram suggests a Catholic, and therefore a possibly pre-Reformation or Marian date.

    Inscription: IhS [repeated 5 times]

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.036 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)