Firebacks

Manufactured in the Forest of Dean area

55 results

  1. 356

    knowle,_baddesley clinton 01.jpg
    1005 x 758 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); bearded face stamp repeated in top corners and below inscription; date along top edge; initials split by date and slightly below.

    Notes: The distinctive style of the ‘4’ in the date and the bearded mask stamp have also been noted on a fireback at Callow Farm, Dymock, Gloucestershire, associated with the operator of the Newent furnace.

    Inscription: E 1641 M

    Manufactured: in 1641 probably at Elmbridge (Newent) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Baddesley Clinton Hall, Knowle, Warwickshire, England.

    Museum number: NT/BAD/M/15 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 841

    lechlade,_old bell antiques b.jpg
    1110 x 725 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; cavetto-moulded edging (top and sides); single horizontal fillet below canted corners and vertical fillet parallel to each side, dividing the fireback into two side panels, two top corner panels, top panel and main central panel; corner panels, ‘daisy’ plant stamp; top panel, date between ‘daisy’ stamps, between initials in triad at each end; side panels, swirling foliage stamp repeated each side above a fleur-de-lys; centre panel, stamp of ‘Indian’ smoking a pipe at top left, stamp of seated ‘gentleman’ smoking a pipe and holding another, at top right; below each, a lion passant stamp, facing right on the left and facing left on the right; initials IB in bottom corners of centre panel.

    Notes: The 'daisy' stamp is identical to those on similar firebacks dated between 1703 and 1721, and probably indicating the same founder; the use of stamps relating to tobacco smoking may suggest an origin near Bristol, the main entry port for the tobacco trade at that time. Previously noted at Little Faringdon House, near Lechlade.

    Inscription: TME [triad] 1706 TME [triad] / I B

    Manufactured: in 1706 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Old Bell Antiques, High Street, Lechlade, Gloucestershire, England.

  3. 1097

    leland_little auctions 3 mar 18 lot 260 hillsborough nc 699x635.jpg
    699 x 635 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto-moulded edging; [?]fillet frame parallel with edging; on top, central date between two groups of initials in triad, with six 'daisy heads' above; on each side, vertical line of at least four squared cross stamps; inside frame, four fleurs-de-lys between two oval 'buttons' on a rectangular base at least five 'daisy heads' in a vertical line on each side.

    Notes: A significant fireback, it comprises decorative stamps from at least three series of firebacks produced in the Forest of Dean area, linking their production to the same (unidentified) ironworks. The attached grate is of 19th century construction.

    Inscription: THM [triad] 1669 THM [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1669 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location:, United States of America.

  4. 277

    london,_museum_of_london_895x875_80_271_92.jpg
    895 x 875 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular with cavetto-moulding along top, supported by Ionic pilasters; English Stuart royal shield, garter, helm, crown, motto and supporters; date below and either side of garter.

    Notes: One of several firebacks, all of the same date, but varying in size, framing style and moulding; all have stylistic features in common and will have been the work of the same pattern maker, who was also responsible for carving royal coats of arms in three West Country churches.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: I R [Jacobus Rex] / HONI SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE / 16 18 / DIEV ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal (James I)

    Manufactured: in 1618 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Museum of London, 150 London Wall, London, England.

    Museum number: 80.271/92 (part of the Museum of London museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2017, 'Church Armorials and Firebacks: Evidence of an Early 17th-Century Woodcarver', Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 135, pp. 213-223.

  5. 964

    longhope,_glasshouse inn 1.jpg
    1295 x 660 mm

    Description: Rectangular; Twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, date; initials in triad in top corners; a double fleurs-de-lys between date and each set of initials, and two rotated down each side of the plate.

    Notes: Formerly at a cottage in Bradford's Lane, Newent, Gloucestershire.

    Inscription: TRD / 1662 / TRD

    Manufactured: in 1662 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: The Glasshouse Inn, May Hill, Longhope, Gloucestershire, England.

    Citation: Bick, D. E., 1987, The Mines of Newent and Ross, (Newent, The Pound House), p. 35.

  6. 970

    maryland.jpg
    711 x 508 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging; date along the top; initials in triad across the middle, inside canted rectangular rope border; fleur-de-lys stamp repeated five times down each side.

    Notes: The initials probably represent those of a married couple, the 'V' for their surname; it is relatively unusual for twisted rope edging to continue along the bottom of the plate. The back was found in Massachusetts and may have been brought there by an early colonist.

    Inscription: 1626 / MVS

    Manufactured: in 1626 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Herndon, Virginia, United States of America.

  7. 1074

    mathern,_knovil house a.jpg
    550 x ~600 mm

    Description: Arched; twisted rope edging; date at top; initials in triad below date.

    Notes: A tall fireback in proportion to its height, probably specifically related to its early use with a coal fire.

    Inscription: 1648 / TMH [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1648 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales.

  8. 1072

    mathern,_moynes court 03.jpg
    >920 x 750 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); date top centre; initials split below date.

    Notes: The initials are believed to relate to Thomas Hughes (1604-64), MP and Governor of Chepstow Castle, who lived at Moynes Court, Mathern; a slightly larger variant of the same date but without initials has been noted; the right edge is concealed behind stonework.

    Inscription: 1658 / T H

    Manufactured: in 1658 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales.

  9. 1073

    mathern,_moynes court 04.jpg
    465 x 870 mm

    Description: Arched; twisted rope edging; date at top; initials in triad below date.

    Notes: An unusually tall fireback in proportion to its height, probably specifically related to its early use with a coal fire.

    Inscription: 1648 / TMH [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1648 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales.

  10. 1144

    norton,_norton manor a.jpg
    1000 x 670 mm

    Description: Composite; arched rectangular shaped, armorial fireback, cavetto edging, with Stuart Royal arms, garter, supporters, crown and motto, and 1662 date above crown; this overlies a rectangular plate with fillet edging; top centre in the space each side of the central shield, an initial letter - A to left, B to right - each above a fleur-de-lys, its stem terminating in a small buckle.

    Notes: Several firebacks have incorporated the same Stuart royal shield, which probably originally dated to 1619, but with the date altered. A similar fireback, but without the initials and fleurs-de-lys, dated 1661, and reputed to have come from the Totsey, the old guildhall at the market cross in Gloucester, is illustrated in Ames, 1980, 23; possibly the same fireback was reported by the late David Bick to be at The Grange, Minsterworth, Gloucestershire (demolished in the late 1960s).

    Inscription: 16 62 / [Garter motto (illeg.)] / A B

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Norton, Wiltshire, England.

    Citation: Ames, A., 1980, Collecting Cast Iron (Ashbourne, Moorland Publishing)

    Citation: Badeni, J., 22 Sep 1983, 'Whose Fireback?' [letter], Country Life, 174, 4492, p. 772.