Firebacks

Manufactured in the Siegerland area

92 results

  1. 414

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 048.jpg
    410 x 660 mm

    Description: Rectangular central panel with elongated arch; bead edging; semi-nude figure of Poseidon/Neptune, a trident in his right hand, standing on two hippocampi (mythical sea horses). Rectangular border with elongated arch; fillet edging; two suspended festoons of fruit and leaves; at the bottom, the date and monogram. On top, two scrolls of foliage. On each shoulder of the fireback, a basket with fruit

    Notes: A number of images of Poseidon on firebacks bear more than a passing similarity to fountain statuary. This is just such an example although the source of the design has yet to be identified. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 NDW 97

    Manufactured: in 1697 in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.075 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  2. 419

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 054.jpg
    530 x 770 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with cavetto-moulded edging; standing female figure holding a bunch of lowers in her left hand and a pot of flowers in her ight hand; to her left a ribbed, two-handled vase of tulips, to her right a fountain with a seated figure of Neptune/Poseidon holding a trident in the right hand; the words, Fruhling, split by the figure; above, clouds; on top a scallop shell between two descending sea serpents.

    Notes: An iconic personification of Spring. Formerly at Swanborough Manor, Sussex.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: FRVH LING

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.909 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

  3. 423

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 058.jpg
    635 x 925 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; standing female figure, classically dressed, holding a child in her arms, another child holding a wreath, seated to her left, and a putto standing to her right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; mask top centre with descending floral bunches on ribbons, with a cartouche centre bottom; on top, two symmetrical descending serpents.

    Notes: The figure represents Charity, one of a several iconic figures portrayed on firebacks of this period.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.947 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  4. 424

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 059.jpg
    590 x 920 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging terminating at the top in two loops, gather drapery and a scallop shell; two figures to the right, both bearded, the one kneeling wears cavalry armour, a cloak and a crown, the other stands behind; to the left is a sacrificial pyre on which an ox carcass burns, and above an angel carrying a sword in his right hand and a skull in his left; around this is an arched rectangular border with fillet edging and a repeated leaf pattern; on top is a scallop shell between two dolphins.

    Notes: The scene illustrates the visitation of the pestilence on Israel described in 2 Samuel 24, and the sacrifice of an oxen by King David; the skull borne by the angel represents the death of those struck down by the plague. A slightly different version has the face of David looking down. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.070 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1957, History of the British Iron and Steel Industry (London, Routledge), pp. 256-264.

  5. 426

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 061.jpg
    450 x 610 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; suspended from the top, by a ribbon, a ring with a popinjay, or parrot, perched thereon, biting a twig in its right claw; below left is a seated child; around this panel is an arched rectangular border with fillet edging containing floral swags hung on ribbons suspended from rings; on top, two serpents.

    Notes: A common design among firebacks produced in Germany for the Dutch market. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.072 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  6. 446

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 086a.jpg
    575 x 760 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular; bead edging; pictorial scene of Venus, naked and kneeling, and Adonis, standing, holding a spear in his left hand, with Cupid to the left, and a hound to the right; pomegranates on top and on each shoulder of the plate, with two symmetrical, descending serpents.

    Notes: Based on the painting of Venus and Adonis by Peter Paul Rubens.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.971 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 476

    maidstone_museum 02.jpg
    443 x 630 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of a stork dipping its beak into a tall pot, a fox close by, a tree to the right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; at top, a double clasp with descending ribbon on each side from which are suspended, via rings, a shield, trumpets and an armoured torso; at the bottom, an oval cartouche between two blocks; on the top, a central pomegranate between two descending sea serpents, and a pomegranate on each shoulder of the plate.

    Notes: The scene illustrates one of Aesop's Fables.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Maidstone Museum, St Faith's Street, Maidstone, Kent, England.

    (part of the Maidstone Museum museum group)

  8. 489

    michelham_003.jpg
    715 x 1003 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with additional arch above; bead and fillet edging; pictorial scene of Solomon, rising from a scallop-backed, canopied throne, greeting the Queen of Sheba, with other figures in attendance; identical shaped border with cavetto-moulded edging; a vase on top with descending swags of drapery; at the sides, overlapping bunches of foliage suspended from ribbon bows; at the bottom, a central cartouche between fruit bunches; on top, a pomegranate with a descending serpent on each side, and a pomegranate on each shoulder of the plate.

    Notes: Several contemporary paintings are of similar scenes; this design may have been derived from any of them.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  9. 492

    michelham_006.jpg
    374 x 540 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel; fillet and ovolo edging; a ring suspended with drapery, supporting a bird, its wings displayed and inverted, looking to the right, with a small roundel below it in each corner; arched rectangular border with fillet edging, and symmetrical drapery in the arch; and indistinct figure on each side, and indistinct foliage below; on top, a scllop shell between two descending serpents.

    Notes: A bird, usually a parrot, perching on a suspended ring can be seen on other firebacks produced in the Siegerland for the Dutch market in the latter part of the 17th century.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  10. 1203

    milton_common,_three_pigeons_03.jpg
    805 x 1060 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead on fillet edging; central shield of the Dutch house of Orange impaling English royal Stuart, surmounted by a crown and supported by two putti; above, a maske with two descending grape bunches; below, two more putti seated on scrolls and cornucopiae; a drapery swag and bow in each top corner; arched rectangular border with cavetto-moulded edging and canted top corners; on each side, a Corinthian column and entablature on a pedestal, the columns with floriate decoration; below, a symmetrical swirled design; above the arch, from a scallop shell on each shoulder, two serpents rising towards a third scallop on top.

    Notes: The arms are of William IV Prince of Orange (1650-1702) impaling those of his wife, Mary, Queen of Great Britain. Note, these are not the royal arms of William III and Mary II as joint sovereigns, but as Prince and Princess of Orange. William and Mary married in 1677 and Mary died in 1694, so the fireback dates from between 1689, when Mary became Queen, and 1694. A fireback of the same design with the arms of Louis XIV of France is illustrated by Elling and Winkler-Borck, p.213; it has the initials AD in the cartouche above the arch, not visible on this casting.

    Arms: William of Orange

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Lassco, Three Pigeons, Milton Common, , Great Milton, Oxfordshire, England.

    Citation: Elling, W. & Winkler-Borck, S., 1992, Ofen- und Kaminplatten (Vreden, Hamaland-Museum).