Firebacks

In the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group

103 results

  1. 458

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 098b.jpg
    510 x 460 mm

    Description: Fragment; bottom left corner missing; rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging; initials split by date across top of plate.

    Notes: The numerals show the transition between archaic and modern type styles.

    Inscription: S 1753 W

    Manufactured: in 1753 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.922 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  2. 459

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 099.jpg
    766 x 580 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths; date in top corners; initials at bottom, below mantling.

    Notes: One of the hooked ‘1’ series; unevenly impressed, the right more deeply than the left.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 50 / I M

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths

    Manufactured: in 1650 possibly at Brede furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1933.34.046 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2007, 'A Godly chimney plate and other firebacks from Brede', Wealden Iron, 2nd ser., 27, pp. 18-26

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Starkie Gardner, J., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.

  3. 461

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 103.jpg
    690 x 615 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging; irregularly spaced, 5 x 5 rope grid; damage to top right corner.

    Notes: A 5 x 3 variant is also known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.046 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 462

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 104.jpg
    885 x 705 mm

    Description: Rectangular with an arched rectangular style arch linked by symmetrical concave curves; ovolo moulding (top and sides); shield, helmet, crest and mantling of the family of Baker, of Mayfield, quartered with Farnden, of Sedlescombe: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, Argent, a tower between three keys erect sable (Baker); 2nd and 3rd, Purpure, a chevron vairy Or and gules, between three leopards’ faces Or (Farnden); crest (Baker): on a tower sable an arm embowed in mail holding in the hand a flint-stone proper. Date split by mantling.

    Notes: A carved armorial on a plain, edged base board. John Baker (1644-1723) married Ruth, daughter and co-heiress of Peter Farnden, in 1663; she died in 1691. During their marriage the Farnden arms, would have been borne as an inescutcheon in the centre of the arms of Baker, and not quartered with those of her husband until after her death. The date, 1690, is therefore spurious and would have been added to a later casting of what on other examples is an undated armorial fireback. The same base board has been also used for another achievement of arms.

    Inscription: 16 90

    Arms: Baker of Mayfield quartering Farnden of Sedlescombe

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 18th century possibly at Heathfield furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Barbican House, High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 854

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 105.jpg
    >690 x 810 mm

    Description: Sub-rectangular fragment; undulating vine tendril strip repeated twice vertically from left edge with a bird stamp repeated three times between, interspersed with a grape cluster stamp repeated seven times; vine tendril stamp repeated twice horizontally at right angles to rightmost vertical strip, three bird stamps between strips and two above, interspersed with seven grape cluster stamps.

    Notes: This fragment incorporates common elements from a large series of firebacks.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.924 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  6. 1048

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 107.jpg
    607 x 413 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); two saltires formed of twisted rope irregularly arranged.

    Notes: The small size suggests a 17th rather than a 16th century date.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.919 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  7. 1046

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 108.jpg
    795 x 440 mm

    Description: Sub-rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); two crosses between two saltires, all formed of straight lengths of twisted rope and irregularly arranged.

    Notes: A poorly cast, and probably early, fireback.

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.917 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  8. 1047

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 109.jpg
    1090 x 602 mm

    Description: Sub-rectangular shape, no edging; three impressions formed of a dagger (c.350mm) with fleur-de-lys terminals: two, at each end, with the handle uppermost, the other inverted lower right of centre.

    Notes: The dagger can be described as a 'cross-hilt' or 'quillon' type, possibly of German origin (ex. inf. Tobias Capwell). The grouping of three daggers may also have apotropaic significance in relation to the Trinity.

    Manufactured: in the 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.920 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  9. 1049

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 110.jpg
    485 x 760 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with alternate two-bead and pellet edging; table with draped cloth surmounted by a basket containing fruit, swagged drapery above; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; descending vine with leaves and berries; bottom centre, initials separated by a lozenge; on top, symmetrical swirled foliage.

    Notes: Typical pastiche of the 'Dutch' style of fireback produced with the option to affix it to a basket grate.

    Inscription: I T

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.082 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  10. 1050

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 111.jpg
    645 x 393 mm

    Description: Rectangular; triple-moulded edging (top and sides); top left, initials RKI in triad; top right, date.

    Notes: The initials probably relate to a husband and wife, the top initial being that of their surname.

    Inscription: RKI [triad] 1683

    Manufactured: in 1683 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.921 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)