Firebacks

Manufactured in the mid 17th century

112 results

  1. 1074

    mathern,_knovil house a.jpg
    550 x ~600 mm

    Description: Arched; twisted rope edging; date at top; initials in triad below date.

    Notes: A tall fireback in proportion to its height, probably specifically related to its early use with a coal fire.

    Inscription: 1648 / TMH [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1648 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales.

  2. 1072

    mathern,_moynes court 03.jpg
    >920 x 750 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); date top centre; initials split below date.

    Notes: The initials are believed to relate to Thomas Hughes (1604-64), MP and Governor of Chepstow Castle, who lived at Moynes Court, Mathern; a slightly larger variant of the same date but without initials has been noted; the right edge is concealed behind stonework.

    Inscription: 1658 / T H

    Manufactured: in 1658 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales.

  3. 1073

    mathern,_moynes court 04.jpg
    465 x 870 mm

    Description: Arched; twisted rope edging; date at top; initials in triad below date.

    Notes: An unusually tall fireback in proportion to its height, probably specifically related to its early use with a coal fire.

    Inscription: 1648 / TMH [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1648 possibly at Laytons (Tintern) furnace in the Forest of Dean area of Wales.

    Current location: in private hands, Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales.

  4. 817

    mayfield,_monks manor.jpg
    742 x 560 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths (see Fig. 3); date in top corners; initials at bottom, below mantling; two planklines.

    Notes: One of the hooked ‘1’ series; a copy from an evenly impressed original.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 50 / I M

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths

    Manufactured: in 1650 possibly at Brede furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Mayfield, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2014, 'A Seventeenth-Century Sussex Woodcarver: The Evidence of Cast Ironwork', Regional Furniture, 28, pp. 39-48

  5. 823

    mayfield,_yew tree farmhouse.jpg
    645 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched shape with ovolo egg-and-dart edging; crown surmounting a shield, a quartered shield with an escutcheon impaling a crowned lion rampant with an escutcheon; text along the bottom.

    Notes: The arms have not been identified; LOVEN is the town of Leuven, capital of the province of Brabant, which, in 1662, was in the Spanish Netherlands.

    Inscription: LOVEN 1662

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Lorraine area of Belgium.

    Current location: in private hands, Mayfield, East Sussex, England.

  6. 490

    michelham_004.jpg
    1490 x 805 mm

    Description: Rectangular; multiple moulding on top and sides; inscription below moulding at top; three pointed crosses, one between inscription and date, one each side of date.

    Notes: Purchased by J. H. Every in a sale at Groombridge Place, Kent in 1919. John Rivers was the husband of Isabella Packer, whose father Sir Thomas Packer, owned Groombridge Place. Bequeathed to the Sussex Archaeological Society in 1944.

    Inscription: IOHN·RIVERS / 1643

    Manufactured: in 1643 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.431 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Hughes, G. B., 1955, 'Old English Firebacks', Country Life, 117, 21 April, pp. 1056-60.

    Citation: Hughes, G. B., May 1940, 'Old English Firebacks', Apollo, 31, 185, pp. 117-120.

  7. 504

    northchapel,_brookside house.jpg
    770 x 535 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); along upper half of plate, date split with initials in between.

    Notes: The initials are likely of William Yalden (or Yaldwyn), an ironmaster who was active in north-west Sussex and south-west Surrey where this and other similar firebacks have been noted.

    Inscription: 16 WY 68

    Manufactured: in 1668 probably at Frith (Northchapel) furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Northchapel, West Sussex, England.

  8. 1144

    norton,_norton manor a.jpg
    1000 x 670 mm

    Description: Composite; arched rectangular shaped, armorial fireback, cavetto edging, with Stuart Royal arms, garter, supporters, crown and motto, and 1662 date above crown; this overlies a rectangular plate with fillet edging; top centre in the space each side of the central shield, an initial letter - A to left, B to right - each above a fleur-de-lys, its stem terminating in a small buckle.

    Notes: Several firebacks have incorporated the same Stuart royal shield, which probably originally dated to 1619, but with the date altered. A similar fireback, but without the initials and fleurs-de-lys, dated 1661, and reputed to have come from the Totsey, the old guildhall at the market cross in Gloucester, is illustrated in Ames, 1980, 23; possibly the same fireback was reported by the late David Bick to be at The Grange, Minsterworth, Gloucestershire (demolished in the late 1960s).

    Inscription: 16 62 / [Garter motto (illeg.)] / A B

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Norton, Wiltshire, England.

    Citation: Ames, A., 1980, Collecting Cast Iron (Ashbourne, Moorland Publishing)

    Citation: Badeni, J., 22 Sep 1983, 'Whose Fireback?' [letter], Country Life, 174, 4492, p. 772.

  9. 505

    ockley,_yew tree cottage.jpg
    940 x 600 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); inscription (‘S’ reversed) across upper middle of plate, with superscripted central ‘I’ (crossed) ; below each part of the date is a twisted rope saltire (145mm lengths).

    Notes: A personal fireback, made to order; a similar commission by Giles Moore, Rector of Horsted Keynes, Sussex, in 1657, cost 13 shillings.

    Inscription: I / 16 E S 63

    Manufactured: in 1663 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Ockley, Surrey, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 511

    penshurst_01.jpg
    940 x 710 mm

    Description: Rectangular with semi-circular protrusions on the top and sides; cavetto edging; a pheon (a downward-pointing arrow head barbed on the inner edge), within a wreath, an earl’s coronet above; the date on either side of the coronet; the initials on left and right sides; a fleur de lys in each bottom corner.

    Notes: The wreathed pheon and coronet are cast from a different pattern to the 1626 and 1630 plates.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 47 / R L

    Manufactured: in 1647 possibly at Robertsbridge furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Penshurst Place, Penshurst, Kent, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).