Firebacks

600mm wide

24 results

  1. 454

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 094.jpg
    600 x 701 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; rebated fillet edging; shield, helm, crest and mantling of the family of Barttelot of Stopham, Sussex.

    Notes: The shield is divided into eight quarters (from left) top: Barttelot, Stopham, Lewknor, Doyley; bottom: Tregoz, Camoys, Walton and Sykeston; arms granted in this form in 1616. Walter Bartlett/Barttelot ran Pallingham furnace in the early 17th century, suggesting a possible place of manufacture.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Barttelot of Stopham

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century possibly at Pallingham furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hall Place, Bexley, Kent, England.

    Museum number: 1931.21.005 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 502

    newick_park 03.jpg
    600 x >435 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; embattled cavetto-moulded edging; shield, garter, supporters and crown of James I of England; a branch sprouting a rose and leaf to the left of the crown, a branch sprouting a thistle and leaf to the right; initials at top, split by crown; date below shield.

    Notes: Similar in style to the 1619 series, this plate may have been designed by the same pattern-maker

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: I R / 16 21

    Arms: English Stuart royal - James I

    Manufactured: in 1621 in England.

    Current location: Newick Park Hotel, Newick, East Sussex, England.

  3. 522

    pet-m-76.jpg
    600 x 416 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cavetto-moulded edging; shield, helm, crest, supporters, mantling and motto of the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers: Sable a chevron ermine between in chief two Havettes Argent and in base a Teazel Cob Or; crest: on a Mount vert a Ram statant Or; supporters: two Griffins Or pellettée.

    Notes: The arms as displayed were granted in 1587; the same fireback was also used as a stamp for a large fireback of 1659 in Haslemere Museum.

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Clothworkers

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/76 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  4. 608

    ripley_017.jpg
    600 x 470 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); shield of the Worshipful Company of Masons: Sable, on a chevron, engrailed argent between 3 castles of the second, with doors and windows of the field, a pair of compasses extended of the first; above, the letter ‘C’, the letters ‘H’ and ‘M’ split by the shield.

    Notes: The arms of the Masons’ Company were granted in 1473.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: HCM [triad]

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Masons

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Mark Ripley Forge & Fireplaces, Northbridge Street, Robertsbridge, East Sussex, England.

  5. 1044

    salisbury,_anthony west.jpg
    600 x 610 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with sloped spandrels; stepped fillet-moulded edging; pictorial scene of a behatted woman and a girl standing behind a kneeling cloaked figure of a man wearing a pointed cap and holding an open book, with a cross above it; to the left a cottage with trees and ground; to the right the frame of a building.

    Notes: The scene is entitled 'Frère Luce', copied from an engraving by Nicolas Larmessin III (1656-1725), of a painting (now lost) by Nicolas Vleughels (1668-1737), from 'Suites d'Estampes Nouvelles pour les Contes de La Fontaine' (c.1736-43).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 18th century in France.

    Current location: in private hands Salisbury, Wiltshire, England.

    Citation: Carpentier, H., 1912, Plaques de Cheminées, Paris.

  6. 1099

    saltash,_stax reclamation.jpg
    600 x 390 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; raised central rectangular panel with inset stylised design of a rounded arch upon Ionic columns, the inside edge indented; at quarter angles outside the arch, two trefoils; within the arch, sequence of linked hollow strapwork rhomboids and circles; between the columns, a roundel with the internal edge indented; left of the central panel, 16 above upper-case M in low relief; right of the central panel, 56 above upper-case G in low relief.

    Notes: An unusually small but well-preserved back with a stylised design. The style of the numerals, particularly the 6 and 5, can be seen on a larger fireback of 1653.

    Inscription: 16 56 / M G

    Manufactured: in 1656 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Avery Way, Tamar View Industrial Estate, Saltash, Cornwall, England.

  7. 714

    unknown_15 600 x 690 somerset.jpg
    600 x 690 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; cavetto moulded edging (top and sides); single horizontal fillet below canted corners and vertical fillet parallel to each side, dividing the fireback into two side panels, two top corner panels, top panel and main central panel; corner panels, lion passant stamp, left facing in right corner, right facing in left corner; top panel, date between fleurs-de-lys; side panels, suspended vine stamp repeated each side; centre panel, flower stamp in each top corner.

    Notes: The lion stamps and design elements (canted shape, vertical and horizontal divisions) are identical to those on similar firebacks dated to the first decade of the 18th century, and indicate a common source.

    Inscription: 1699

    Manufactured: in 1699 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location:, Somerset, England.

  8. 947

    unknown_71a 600x820.jpg
    600 x 820 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead edging; naked figure of Poseidon/Neptune holding a a trident in his raised left hand, his right arm extended; he is sitting on a bridge over a flowing stream; to his right a merman, half immersed, blows a shell trumpet; above centre, is the word AQUA (water - Latin); above is a swag of drapery enclosing a scallop shell; outside the panel is a narrow border of the same shape with fillet edging; the fireback is surmounted by a scallop shell between two outward-facing sea serpents.

    Notes: One of a series of four designs of the classical elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: AQUA

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location:.

  9. 760

    va_36.jpg
    600 x 820 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel; bead-on-fillet edging; wickerwork Garden of Holland (Hollandse Tuin) within which is seated a berobed female figure holding a cap of freedom on the end of a long pole; before her is the crowned heraldic lion of the States General of the Netherlands, clutching a sheaf of arrows in its left front paw; above are the words, Pro Patria; arched rectangular boreder with fillet edging, and foliage draped from the top; on top, a pomegranate to which ascends a serpent on each side, with a further pomegranate on each shoulder of the plate.

    Notes: An overtly patriotic theme with symbols of Dutch nationhood.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: PRO PATRIA

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.1411-1926 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

  10. 762

    va_38.jpg
    600 x 680 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal and fillet edging; oval shield of the Paulet family (three swords, points conjoined in pile), within a cartouche, surmounted by a marquis’s coronet; date split between bottom corners.

    Notes: The arms of Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester, who succeeded to the title in 1674 and was created Duke of Bolton in 1689. The fireback is reported to have come from Grange Farm, Basing House, Hampshire; Basing House was the seat of the Paulets.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 87

    Arms: Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester

    Manufactured: in 1687 possibly at Sowley furnace in England.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.103-1913 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).