Firebacks

with the same citation

295 results

  1. 237

    cardiff,_st fagans 14.jpg
    722 x 725 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); repeated scroll strip stamp along each side; date, top centre, between two fleurs de lys; initial below each fleur, with a fleur below each initial.

    Notes: A damaged variant, probably with six fleurs, no initials, dated 1694, is also known. Formerly at Great House, Llanllowell, Monmouthshire.

    Inscription: 1692 / T B

    Manufactured: in 1692 possibly in the South Wales area of Wales.

    Current location: St Fagans Castle, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 42.82 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 238

    cardiff,_st fagans 15.jpg
    612 x 830 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; crowned figure, holding a sceptre in his right hand, sitting in a chariot drawn to the left by two, caparisoned horses with ostrich feather head-dresses; the whole upon a three-arched bridge with keystones and a string course, waves beneath; above, swagged drapery with two tassels hanging from the centre; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical, descending oak leaf and acorn branches, with a looped 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils and berries. A single central vertical plankline.

    Notes: One of a series produced in the same year. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from a personification of Europe, one of a set of playing cards entitled Jeu de la Géographie, designed by Stefano della Bella for Louis XIV.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: F81.233 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 240

    cardiff,_st fagans 17.jpg
    562 x 803 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; ground with birds, and trees behind; in the centre a circular fountain rim with a swan on a plinth surrounded by water, with jets of water rising from the swan’s mouth and descending on either side; above, a heron and a goose fly to the left; under the arch, swags of drapery; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical floral fronds descending from a scallop shell, top centre, with a looed 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base between date; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils. A single central vertical plankline.

    Notes: One of a group of firebacks, all of the same date, some of which have the same Welsh inscription. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from an illustration in Labyrinthe de Versailles by Charles Perrault (1677); the flying heron is copied from a print by Wenceslaus Hollar c.1658.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: F83.116 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  4. 241

    chailey,_woodbrooks farm 01.jpg
    920 x 555 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); irregular arrangement of two rectangular pastry stamps, each with a fleur de lys within fern leaves, and one with three additional fern leaves below; the smaller stamps form the four corners, with the larger stamp, three times, in a triangular pattern between.

    Notes: Various excrescences on the plate were probably the result of careless pouring of the metal during casting.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Sutton, Surrey, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 242

    chailey,_woodbrooks farm 02.jpg
    675 x 625 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped; astragal edging; shield bearing a saltire, beneath a baron’s coronet; date and initials split by shield.

    Notes: The shield, coronet and initials may be those of George Nevill, 12th Baron Bergavenny (1665-95); the Neville arms has a rose in the centre but if the shield were a painted carving, the rose may have been painted and not carved.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 72 / G B

    Arms: George Nevill, 12th baron Bergavenny

    Manufactured: in 1672 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Fulham, London, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 247

    chawton_house 01.jpg
    1185 x 870 mm

    Description: A modified recasting of a variant of the ‘Armada’ fireback, with changed initials, a single anchor panel, and the addition of plain base and borders, the latter each with a twisted rope saltire, upper middle.

    Notes: It is likely that an original four-panel fireback has been used to recast a copy with additional side and base panels. A second fireback at the house, identical but for being 1% smaller all round, has a full-width extension on top bearing four symmetrical rope saltires, the outer two larger than the inner two; the saltires may have apotropaic significance. The reduction in size of the common elements due to shrinkage suggests the first example was used to make the second. It is alleged that John Knight, who built Chawton House, was rewarded with a fireback for contributing £50 to the Crown at the time of the Armada emergency; given that a great many of the gentry and aristocracy made similar contributions, this story is improbable. It seems likely that this putative original was used to make these two subsequent copies.

    Inscription: 1588 / IK

    Manufactured: in 1588 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Chawton House, Chawton, Hampshire, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 34

    chawton_house 02.jpg
    710 x 915 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; astragal and fillet edging (top and sides) with overlapping leaf pattern; floral cartouche with lion’s face at top, enclosing a shield bearing the arms of May (Gules, a fess between eight billets Or) quartering Broadnax (Or, two chevrons gules, on a chief of the last three cinquefoils Argent); at base a plain cuboid plinth.

    Notes: Thomas Broadnax (1701-81), son of William Broadnax of Godmersham, Kent, and Anne May, heiress of Christopher May, inherited the estate of his cousin, Sir Thomas May, adopting his surname in 1727. He later changed his name to Knight on inheriting the estate of that family at Chawton in 1738.

    Arms: May quartering Broadnax

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Chawton House, Chawton, Hampshire, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 250

    chevening_house 03.jpg
    930 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; astragal and fillet edging; shield, motto, earl’s coronet and supporters (a talbot erm. and a wolf or, ducally crowned gu.) of Stanhope impaling Pitt: quarterly (1st & 4th) erm. (2nd & 3rd) gu. (Stanhope); sa., a fess chequy az. and ar. between three bezants (Pitt); motto: A DEO ET REGE.

    Notes: James Stanhope was created 1st Earl in 1718; he had married Lucy Pitt in 1714. The Stanhope seat was Chevening, near Sevenoaks.

    Inscription: A DEO ET REGE

    Arms: Stanhope impaling Pitt; James, 1st Earl Stanhope

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Chevening House, Chevening, Kent, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  9. 255

    chiddingfold,_ramster 03.jpg
    770 x 535 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); along upper half of plate, date split with initials in between.

    Notes: The initials are likely of William Yalden (or Yaldwyn), an ironmaster who was active in north-west Sussex and south-west Surrey where this and other similar firebacks have been noted.

    Inscription: 16 WY 68

    Manufactured: in 1668 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Ramster, Chiddingfold, Surrey, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 260

    chiddingstone,_pilbeams.jpg
    1060 x 760 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape, with 5-facetted arch; cyma recta moulded edge; oval Tudor royal shield on a cartouche surrounded by a garter, a crown above separating the initials, ER, all on a larger cartouche; on either side a circular Tudor royal shield within a garter, with a crown above each.

    Notes: The word ‘PENSE’ in the garter mottoes is differently spelled on the central stamp — ‘PENCE’ - and the outer stamps — ‘PANSE’ (where the ‘N’ is reversed). The (outer) stamp has been noted above. Three horizontal planklines on central cartouche.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: ER [and Garter mottoes]

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Chiddingstone, Kent, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1950, 'A Rare Group of Wealden Firebacks', Journal of the Iron & Steel Institute, 165, pp. 39-40.