Firebacks

Edging: fillet

224 results

  1. 541

    pet-m-96.jpg
    754 x 1005 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of a female holding a small child, with two putti, one on each next side of her; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; central cartouche at top, with festoons of fruit, flowers and leaves suspended on each side from ribbons supported by rings; at the bottom, swirled ribbon around an oval compartment bearing the inscription; on top, a central cartouche from which descend a cornucopia on each side of the arch.

    Notes: The allegorical figure of Charity; the inscription indicates the style of border; other firebacks with the same inscription have the same border; similar inscriptions (e.g. L7C and L8G) indicate different borders.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: L6C

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/96 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  2. 542

    pet-m-97.jpg
    743 x 1015 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with canted top corners and bead-on-fillet edging; elaborate central cartouche containing the double-headed eagle of the Holy Roman Emperor supported by male and female figures standing on a compartment with fillet edging, containing scrolled foliage and a central fleur-d-lys; above the central cartouche, the imperial crown and swagged drapery; arched rectangular border with canted top corners and cavetto-moulded edging; symmetrical arrangement of traceried foliage; on top, central oval casket with a serpent descending on each side of the arch to a further similar casket on each shoulder of the plate.

    Notes: A variation of the standard 'Dutch' style of fireback.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/97 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  3. 527

    petworth_008.jpg
    588 x 824 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging terminating at the top in two loops, gather drapery and a scallop shell; two figures to the right, both bearded, the one kneeling wears cavalry armour, a cloak and a crown, the other stands behind; to the left is a sacrificial pyre on which an ox carcass burns, and above an angel carrying a sword in his right hand and a skull in his left; around this is an arched rectangular border with fillet edging and a repeated leaf pattern; on top is a scallop shell between two dolphins.

    Notes: The scene illustrates the visitation of the pestilence on Israel described in 2 Samuel 24, and the sacrifice of an oxen by King David; the skull borne by the angel represents the death of those struck down by the plague. A slightly different version has the face of David looking up at the angel.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/81 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  4. 528

    petworth_009.jpg
    601 x 796 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of seven figures, the central one crowned, seated at a table laid with cups and dishes, with two other figures, one at the front, the other to the right, serving them; below are martial symbols (cannon, banners etc.); behind the figures are two archways with drapery at the side, and a chandelier above; arched rectangular border with fillet edging, and egg-and-dart moulding on top and sides; on top, a diamond within a cartouche, and the same on each shoulder of the plate; descending from the top, a serpent on each side.

    Notes: The scene is of the marriage at Cana (John 2), a biblical story often portrayed on firebacks and stoveplates.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/82 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  5. 538

    petworth_019.jpg
    720 x 990 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; blank arched rectangular central panel with rebated fillet edging; on top, above a cone of laurel leaves, a crown supported by two putti, each holding a plant stem; on each side, a flower and fruit festoon suspended on a ribbon from a ring; at the bottom , inscription on a scroll.

    Notes: A border panel, usually incorporated with a separate pictorial central panel.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: [...]O 1695

    Manufactured: in 1695 in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, Kent, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/93 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  6. 558

    petworth_040.jpg
    765 x 846 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; top centre, stamp formed of a carved domestic scene of a family around a table; in top corners, repeated small stamp of St George and the Dragon; below, repeated stamp of a pineapple in a pot; centre; small stamp of the royal arms of the United Kingdom 1801-37.

    Notes: The domestic group has been formed from a decorative iron mantelpiece ornament portraying the tale of the goose that laid golden eggs. Having killed the goose, the family are lamenting the loss of their bounty (see Ames, 1980, p.94). The same mantelpiece group can be seen as decoration on the kitchen spit assemblage at Petworth House, West Sussex, which was cast at Robert Chorley's foundry at Cocking, south of Midhurst. Evidently this and another fireback bearing the same ornament stamp were among items from the Cowdray estate sold in 1898.

    Manufactured: in the early 19th century probably at Cocking Foundry in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/50 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Ames, A., 1980, Collecting Cast Iron (Ashbourne, Moorland Publishing).

    Citation: Arnold, F. H., 1900, 'Notes and Queries No. 7: Relics of Old Cowdray', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 43, p. 281.

  7. 585

    petworth_064.jpg
    910 x 756 mm

    Description: Central arched rectangular shape formed of fluted Ionic pilasters supporting a rounded arch, with fillet edging, bearing the date between two flower heads; beneath is a fouled anchor within a circlet of rope gathered into eight loops; a phoenix, its wings displayed and inverted, rises from the flames above the rope; mirrored outside each pilaster, a crouching, naked faun, facing inwards, disgorges a vine with bunches of grapes; above each faun a volute forms the top corner of the plate.

    Notes: The decorative elements of this fireback have yet to be fully interpreted; the vines disgorged from the mouths of the fauns are related to the 'green man' tradition associated with woodland spirits and symbolising resurrection, the latter echoed by the phoenix, though in the form in which they appear on this fireback they may be a purely decorative device. By contrast, the cabled anchor is the badge of the Lord High Admiral who, in 1608, was Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham (previously Lord Howard of Effingham). A pastiche of this fireback, dated 1633, is also known.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1608

    Manufactured: in 1608 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/L/PET/M/117.1 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  8. 885

    pimlico,_gifford mead 02.jpg
    491 x 755 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel, bead-and-pellet edging, narrow-necked, two-handled urn with flowers and wheat ears issuing therefrom, the vase resting on a wall with stone courses, against which are two small flowers in pots with a stool between; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging and symmetrical floral tendrils, a looped 'W' in each shoulder; on top, mirrored leaves, tendrils and wheat ears; inscription along bottom of border.

    Notes: The largest of five flower vase designs in this series. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The casting is an amalgamation of parts of two firebacks of the same design, the bottom portion from an earlier casting than the top (reduction 2%).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Pimlico, London, England.

  9. 886

    pimlico,_gifford mead 03.jpg
    660 x 910 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with ‘nutshell’ edging on a broad fillet; head-dressed figure, holding a sceptre in her right hand, sitting in a chariot drawn to the left by two armadillos; the whole upon a two-arched bridge with masonry, decorated keystones and spandrels, and waves beneath; above, swagged drapery with two tassels hanging from the centre; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, with a symmetrical scrolled wire design; the monogram, SHR, bottom centre; above is a symmetrical design of scrolled floral tendrils.

    Notes: The design is derived from a personification of America, one of a set of playing cards entitled 'Jeu de la Géographie', designed by Stefano della Bella (1677).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: SHR

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Pimlico, London, England.

  10. 598

    ripley_004.jpg
    590 x 470 mm

    Description: Rectangular with fillet edging; central, oval panel with fillet edging containing the semi-reclining, begowned figure of Cleopatra, a mirror/sceptre in her right hand and an asp in her left hand; oval border with astragal and fillet edging and undulating foliage; in each of the top spandrels, a face of a putto; in the bottom spandrels, a triangular design of swirled foliage; at the centre of each side, overlapping the central oval border, an oval cartouche with scrolls in the inward facing side; four horizontal plank lines regularly spaced.

    Notes: The naivety of the figuration and the similarity of the scrolled designs suggest that this may be the work of the same pattern-maker as the Lenard fireback. Either of two tapestries of the death of Cleopatra after Karel van Mander II (1579-1623), one made for the Swedish royal court, may be the inspiration for this fireback.

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Mark Ripley Forge & Fireplaces, Northbridge Street, Robertsbridge, East Sussex, England.