Firebacks

Edging: fillet

224 results

  1. 765

    va_41.jpg
    815 x 810 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular; fillet edging with darts on the inside; circular arms of France within the chains of the Ordre d'Esprit and the Ordre de St Michel, with crown above, all resting on a framework compartment, with olive leaf sprays on each side ofn the shield.

    Notes: Typical form of the arms of France of the period of Louis XIV.

    Arms: France modern

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in France.

    Current location: Victoria & Albert Museum, Cromwell Road, Kensington & Chelsea, Greater London, England.

    Museum number: M.1132-1926 (part of the Victoria & Albert Museum museum group)

    Citation: Carpentier, H., 1912, Plaques de Cheminées, Paris.

  2. 1171

    virton_069.jpg
    ~770 x ~770 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; fillet edging; arrangement of five shields: centre, arms of the kingdom of France surmounted by a crown and, below, the word FRANCE on a fillet edged rectangular block over a cartouche; top left, arms of the duchy of Lorraine surmounted by a bishop's mitre and crozier separating a largely illegible text; top right, arms of the kingdom of Spain surmounted by a crown with the letters SPA to the left; bottom right, arms of the duchy of Nevers surmounted by a coronet below a fillet edged rectangle with the word NEVERS; bottom left, arms of the kingdom of England surmounted by a crown below a fillet edged rectangle with the word ANGLIA; bottom centre, the date 1623.

    Notes: A taque de foyer or takenplatte; the arms in the corners are likely to be of (from top left): Louis III of Lorraine, Archbishop of Reims; King Philip III of Spain; Charles I, Duke of Nevers and Rethel; and Queen Elizabeth I of England. A similar fireback with the same arms, illustrated by von den Driesch (1990, p.181), has the date 1611, but the absence of a cardinal's hat over the arms of Louis of Lorraine suggests that the fireback originally dates from before 1605.

    Inscription: [LORR]AI[NE] SPA / ANGLIA NEVERS / FRANCE / 16z3

    Arms: Louis of Lorraine; Kingdom of Spain; Kingdom of France; Kingdom of England; Charles Gonzaga, Duke of Nevers

    Manufactured: in 1623 possibly in the Ardennes area of Belgium.

    Current location: Musée Gaumais, 38 Rue d'Arlon, Virton, Luxembourg, Belgium.

    (part of the Musée Gaumais, Virton museum group)

    Citation: Driesch, K. von den , 1990, Handbuch der Ofen-, Kamin- und Takenplatten im Rheinland (Cologne, Rheinland-Verlag).

  3. 991

    waldron,_star inn.jpg
    1060 x 705 mm

    Description: Rectangular with fillet edging (top and sides) formed from separate strips, possible from furniture; date split by letters in triad; number '1' has a central knob.

    Notes: The initials are believed to relate to Thomas and Mary Manser, who occupied the Star Inn, Waldron, East Sussex, in the seventeenth century.

    Inscription: 16 TMM 94

    Manufactured: in 1694 probably at Waldron Furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: The Star Inn, Waldron, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Russell, S., Parker, R. & Chidson, V., 2000, Waldron: Portrait of a Sussex village (Horam, Tartarus Press).

  4. 1159

    waltham_on_the_wolds,_charles_graham_architectural_antiques_a.jpg
    406 x 648 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel, nut-shell on fillet edging, narrow-necked vase on a ground, with flowers and pea pods issuing therefrom, a plant in a pot to each side; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging and descending quasi-symmetrical floral tendrils; on top, quasi-symmetrical swirled foliage; date split between bottom corners, with two looped 'W' figures between. A single plankline is evident to right of centre.

    Notes: The fourth largest of six flower vase designs on a discrete series of firebacks from 1724. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker.

    Inscription: 17 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: Charles Graham Architectural Antiques, Unit 1, Fairfield Industrial Estate, Melton Road, Waltham on the Wolds, Leicestershire, England.

  5. 779

    warkworth_castle.jpg
    750 x 905 mm

    Description: Low arched shape; broad fillet edging with repeated arrow pattern; on a hatched ground, a crowned Tudor royal shield with stylised dragon and greyhound supporters, all standing on a stepped bottom panel with astragal and cavetto moulded edge.

    Notes: A Victorian pastiche of a Tudor design; possibly the work of Anthony Salvin

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the mid 19th century in England.

    Current location: Warkworth Castle, Warkworth, Northumberland, England.

    Museum number: 00257085 (part of the English Heritage museum group)

  6. 43

    watchet,_lynda cotton gallery.jpg
    700 x 542 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with ovolo canted top corners; fillet edging; within a cartouche, shield of the Worshipful Company of Barber-Surgeons - quarterly, first and fourth, Sable a Chevron between three Fleams Argent, second and third, Per pale of the second and Vert on a Spatter also Argent a Tudor Rose proper crowned Or; on a Cross Gules dividing the quarters a Lion passant guardant Or; the date is above the shield, which is surmounted by a vase from which are displayed a flower and leaf stems; the same occupy the spaces on each side of the shield, below which is a motto scroll.

    Notes: The arms on this fireback were granted to the company in 1569.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1631

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Barber-Surgeons

    Manufactured: in 1631 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 873

    welshpool,_powis castle 01.jpg
    660 x 640 mm

    Description: Arched shape; fillet edging; shield, supporters, earl's coronet and motto.

    Notes: The arms are those of William Herbert (1626-96), created 1st Earl of Powis in 1674, impaled with those of his wife, Lady Elizabeth Somerset, whom he had married in 1654. He was created Marquess in 1687, so the fireback dates from between 1674 and 1687. The blazon: Party per pale azure and gules three lions rampant argent armed and langued or (Herbert), quarterly 1st and 4th England 2nd and 3rd France Modern (Somerset); Supporters: Dexter: A Panther rampant guardant Argent spotted of various colours fire issuing out of the mouth and ears ducally gorged Azure; Sinister: A Lion rampant Argent ducally gorged Gules; Motto: Ung je serviray (One I will serve).

    Inscription: Ung iay serviray

    Arms: William Herbert, 1st Earl of Powis

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century .

    Current location: Powis Castle, Welshpool, Powys, Wales.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Anon., 1907, 'Armorial iron fire back', Montgomeryshire Collections, 34, p. 212.

    Citation: Powis, Earl of, 1940, 'Notes on the Gates, Terraces and Firebacks at Powis Castle', Montgomeryshire Collections, 46, 2, pp. 194-195.

  8. 300

    welshpool,_powis_castle_02.jpg
    ?610 x ?840 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a broad fillet; Jupiter in his chariot drawn by eagles; above are clouds, below is a landscape; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, with a symmetrical scrolled wire design; the monogram, SHR, bottom centre; above is a symmetrical design of scrolled floral tendrils.

    Notes: The design is derived from a personification of the planet, Jupiter, in 'Planetarum effectus et eorum in signis zodiaci', by Marten de Vos (1585); illustrated in Gardner, 1898.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: SHR

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Powis Castle, Welshpool, Powys, Wales.

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Gardner, J. S., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.

  9. 781

    west_hoathly, priest house 02.jpg
    537 x 777 mm

    Description: Rectangular with arched, mirrored, scrolls on top, surmounted by the winged face of a cherub; fillet edging continued into mirrored scrolls over the top; on either side, scrolled stylised seed pods; central scene of King David beneath a baldachin standing on a plinth, playing a harp to his left; to his left a child plays the violin, to his right another plays a trumpet, both stand on low plinths; at the bottom, a rectangular panel with an oval within a cartouche between swirled foliage.

    Notes: An untypical religious-inspired subject with notably rococo design elements.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 18th century in England.

    Current location: Priest House, West Hoathly, West Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 626

    westland_ltd 13197 560x815.jpg
    560 x 815 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel; bead-and-pellet edging; pictorial scene of a male figure seated in a chariot, his left arm resting on the side of the chariot, his right hand holding a sceptre at arm’s length, the chariot drawn by two lions across a ground with small bushes; clouds above with the personification of the wind blowing to the left; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; repeated, linked scroll-work on all sides; on top a vase of fruit between two mirrored serpents. A recasting.

    Notes: Similar to other designs incorporating figures in chariots, though not from the same series; a recasting has the date, 1702, superimposed

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Westland Ltd, St Leonards Church, Leonard Street, Shoreditch, London, England.