Firebacks

Edging: fillet

235 results

  1. 413

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 047.jpg
    360 x 605 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; standing figure of Abraham about to sacrifice a kneeling Isaac, Abraham's raised right hand holding a sword is retrained by an angel; behind Abraham is a ram; initials are placed in a triangle above behind and in front of the group; arched rectangular border with fillet edging and descending floral and fruit bunches on a ribbon, hanging from rings, foliate swirls at base; vases on rectangle shoulders and at top, between two putti

    Notes: The initials appear to have been added subsequently.

    Inscription: B / E A

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.946 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  2. 414

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 048.jpg
    410 x 660 mm

    Description: Rectangular central panel with elongated arch; bead edging; semi-nude figure of Poseidon/Neptune, a trident in his right hand, standing on two hippocampi (mythical sea horses). Rectangular border with elongated arch; fillet edging; two suspended festoons of fruit and leaves; at the bottom, the date and monogram. On top, two scrolls of foliage. On each shoulder of the fireback, a basket with fruit

    Notes: A number of images of Poseidon on firebacks bear more than a passing similarity to fountain statuary. This is just such an example although the source of the design has yet to be identified. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 NDW 97

    Manufactured: in 1697 in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.075 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  3. 415

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 049.jpg
    340 x 550 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a broad fillet; figure of Hera/Juno, a sceptre in her right hand, with a peacock below to her left, clouds above left; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; symmetrical arrangement of wire-work swirls; on top, two mirrored serpents.

    Notes: Similarities in the design and execution of the pattern suggest the work of the pattern-maker identified as ‘N’. Said to have been cast by Thomas Prickett (1727-95) at Gloucester Furnace, Lamberhurst.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century probably at Gloucester Furnace, Lamberhurst in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.948 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Phillips, C. T., 1894, 'Interesting additions to the museum', Sussex Archaeological Collections,39, pp. 214-5.

  4. 416

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 050.jpg
    410 x 660 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; with tassel at top; three nude female figures: on top, Juno/Hera with a peacock, to the left Venus/Aphrodite, the young cupid/Eros at her feet, to the right Minerva/Athena with spear and shield; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; the heads of two putti and from them two suspended festoons of fruit and leaves; at the bottom, the inscription, THE 3 GODDESES, widely spaced. On top, two figures of Triton blowing seashells. On each shoulder of the fireback, a fluted vase with flowers issuing.

    Notes: The three eponymous goddesses are those whose beauty was the subject of the Judgement of Paris. The composition is copied from an engraving by Adriaen Collaert (c1560-1618). This fireback is an instance of a continental back which has been copied in England, the opportunity being taken to insert an English inscription in place of the customary date and pattern maker's monogram. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: THE 3 GODDESES [sic]

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.074 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  5. 423

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 058.jpg
    635 x 925 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; standing female figure, classically dressed, holding a child in her arms, another child holding a wreath, seated to her left, and a putto standing to her right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; mask top centre with descending floral bunches on ribbons, with a cartouche centre bottom; on top, two symmetrical descending serpents.

    Notes: The figure represents Charity, one of a several iconic figures portrayed on firebacks of this period.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.947 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  6. 424

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 059.jpg
    590 x 920 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging terminating at the top in two loops, gather drapery and a scallop shell; two figures to the right, both bearded, the one kneeling wears cavalry armour, a cloak and a crown, the other stands behind; to the left is a sacrificial pyre on which an ox carcass burns, and above an angel carrying a sword in his right hand and a skull in his left; around this is an arched rectangular border with fillet edging and a repeated leaf pattern; on top is a scallop shell between two dolphins.

    Notes: The scene illustrates the visitation of the pestilence on Israel described in 2 Samuel 24, and the sacrifice of an oxen by King David; the skull borne by the angel represents the death of those struck down by the plague. A slightly different version has the face of David looking down (no. 527). Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.070 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1957, History of the British Iron and Steel Industry (London, Routledge), pp. 256-264.

  7. 425

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 060.jpg
    560 x 630 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead-and-pellet edging; S-scroll, two-handled, gadrooned vase with tulip stems, flowers and leaves; arched rectangular border with fillet edging and suspended flower bunches; two symmetrical, coiled serpents on top; narrow, curved shouldered side panels with beads in oval depressions.

    Notes: This is a shortened version of a much-copied fireback. Normally there is a bottom panel. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.091 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  8. 456

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 096.jpg
    452 x 711 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with canted, concave top corners and bead edging; figure seated astride a triumph of weaponry (cannon, spears, drums), holding a laurel wreath in his right hand, symmetrical hanging drapery above; same-shaped border with fillet edging and suspended ribbons with floral bunches; at base, symmetrical reeds tied with ribbon; base panel with nine linked rings; symmetrical serpents on top.

    Notes: Possibly a depiction of an allegory of Victory. Other firebacks have the same distinctive central panel, border shape and decoration at the bottom, suggesting the same pattern maker. A reduced version (no. 1253) lacks the serpents on top and the reeds at the bottom. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.079 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  9. 459

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 099.jpg
    766 x 580 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; shield, helm, crest and mantling of the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths; date in top corners; initials at bottom, below mantling.

    Notes: One of the hooked ‘1’ series; unevenly impressed, the right more deeply than the left.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 50 / I M

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths

    Manufactured: in 1650 possibly at Brede Furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1933.34.046 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2007, 'A Godly chimney plate and other firebacks from Brede', Wealden Iron, 2nd ser., 27, pp. 18-26.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Gardner, J. S., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.

  10. 1049

    lewes,_sussex arch soc 110.jpg
    485 x 760 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with alternate two-bead and pellet edging; table with draped cloth surmounted by a basket containing fruit, swagged drapery above; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; descending vine with leaves and berries; bottom centre, initials separated by a lozenge; on top, symmetrical swirled foliage.

    Notes: Typical pastiche of the 'Dutch' style of fireback produced with the option to affix it to a basket grate. Formerly part of the J. H. Every collection.

    Inscription: I T

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: 1944.24.082 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)