Firebacks

Edging: fillet

223 results

  1. 1037

    criterion_auctions, bath, lot 168 10 sep 2016 350x420.jpg
    350 x 420 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; central rose with stem and two branches with leaves, surmounted by a crown.

    Notes: The rose is more naturalistic than heraldic. Criterion Auctions, Bath, 10 Sep 2016 lot 168.

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century in England.

    Current location:.

  2. 46

    cuckfield,_legh manor 01.jpg
    400 x 612 mm

    Description: Ionic columns supporting a semi-circular arch, in the centre of which the bust of a man has a floral swag beneath; below is a quasi-arched rectangle of beads within which is the figure of Hercules, wielding a club, slaying the Nemean Lion; beneath are floral scrolls; on top of the main arch two kneeling putti hold a wreath over the bust.

    Notes: Not the standard 'Dutch' type, which may indicate a different origin.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 18th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Cuckfield, West Sussex, England.

  3. 42

    cuckfield_park 04.jpg
    655 x 920 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of a seated female figure resting against a hurdle, holding an anchor, a child on each side of her, the one on the left standing clutching corn stalks, the one on the right sitting also holding the anchor and a circular object; a bird sits on a post; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, containing floral swags suspended from a wreath; on top, a scallop shell between two dolphins.

    Notes: The figure represents Hope. The theft in 1699 from a Thames-side warehouse of several firebacks, including '3 of Hope with an Anchor' may refer to this type (Post Boy 11-14 Nov. 1699).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: in private hands, Cuckfield, West Sussex, England.

  4. 49

    dallington,_acelands.jpg
    635 x 590 mm

    Description: Rectangular with cavetto curves rising to corners and a ‘portico’ top; fillet edging with bas-relief, alternate regularly spaced semi-circles and triangles inside; two-handled flower vase with acanthus bas-relief, trailing vines issuing from top, with pomegranate and hop(?), descending through handles to base; lion’s head at top; date split either side of vase base.

    Notes: The bas-relief edging also appears on other firebacks, suggesting the same pattern maker. The date was probably added separately.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1662

    Manufactured: in 1662 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Dallington, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 935

    dammarie-sur-saulx_a.jpg
    ~850 x ~850 mm

    Description: Carved wooden fireback pattern. Rectangular shape with fillet edging; pictorial scene with three nymphs playing cymbals and tambourine, and dancing in the shade of two trees, with three satyrs play pipes behind; a jug stands on a pedestal; in the foreground a putto fills a jug from a barrel.

    Notes: From the Fonderie Salan, Dammarie-sur-Saulx (Meuse).

    Manufactured: in the 18th century at not applicable furnace in France.

    Current location:.

  6. 271

    dorchester_museum 02.jpg
    914 x 1067 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with top corners cavetto canted, bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; hanging drapery with central tassels over three low-arched cubicles, the two outer smaller than the centre, with Tuscan columns and overlapping scales behind; on a plinth of overlapping scales with a scallop shell behind, the standing figure of Neptune/Poseidon, holding a trident in his right hand; water issues from by his feet and from the waves below him disport two ‘sea horses’ and three dolphins; arched rectangular shaped border with top corners cavetto canted, fillet edging: suspended symmetrical beads with tassel ends decorated with sea shells; between two looped 'W' figures, the inscription separating halves of the date along the bottom; above, a central scallop shell with symmetrical floral scrolls on each side.

    Notes: From a design in 'Nouveaux livres de ...Statues [etc.]' (La Haye & Amsterdam 1702-5), by Daniel Marot. The inscription, translated as 'GOD He is our strength', is a paraphrase of Psalm 46: 1; the original wooden pattern is in the Historisch Museum, Rotterdam; an identical inscription and date is found on several firebacks. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. Formerly at Dogwells Farmhouse, Corscombe, Dorset; other examples are at Leith Hill Place, Surrey, and Lower Brockhampton farmhouse, Herefordshire, the latter having originally been in Dunster Castle, Somerset.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: Dorset County Museum, Dorchester, Dorset, England.

    (part of the Dorset County Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 869

    dublin,_national museum of ireland 01.jpg
    432 x 635 mm

    Description: Low arched central panel with fillet edging; on a square frame in perspective, a small gadrooned pot with flowers, including daffodils and tulips, issuing from it; narrow fillet border of same shape, around top and sides, containing a repeated chain and tassel design; wide outer border with quasi-symmetrical, wave-shaped top, swirled floral design of hare bells and tendrils; inscription at bottom.

    Notes: In the museum guide of 1912, this fireback was said to have come out of an old house at Arran Quay, Dublin.

    Inscription: IP 1737

    Manufactured: in 1737 in Ireland.

    Current location: National Museum of Ireland, Benurb Street, Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.

    Museum number: NMIDM:1910.564 (part of the National Museum of Ireland museum group)

    Citation: Westropp, M. S. D. (ed.), 1912, General Guide to the Art Collections, Part VI, Metalwork, Chapter V, Iron (Dublin, National Museum of Science and Art).

  8. 1064

    dunsfold,_pound farm a.jpg
    1270 x 850 mm

    Description: A rectangular field with a central circle containing a fouled anchor, the rope gathered in eleven loops around it; in the top spandrels the initials HH, on the left, and IH, on the right; below the circle, the initials IM inset in a square; on each side, a strapwork Ionic pilaster formed of alternate hollow squares, with a pyramidal infill in low relief, and hollow circles; outside each pilaster, a crouching stylised humanoid figure, facing inwards, disgorging a fructed vine; above the figures two opposed volutes, forming part of the edging; above the central field, a semi-circular compartment containing a bird, its wings inverted, and three hollow diamond shapes irregularly arranged; the date above the bird; protruding from the edging above each pilaster is a small, inward-facing scroll. Three vertical plank lines can be discerned, one in front of the right-hand figure, one through the I of the initials IH, and one to the right of the second H of the initials HH. The whole design is in low relief.

    Notes: This is a reworking of a design seen on a fireback of 1608 (see Phoenix Firebacks no. 585) though intentionally stylised. The decorative elements have yet to be fully interpreted; on the 1608 version the figures are fauns, the vines disgorged from their mouths being related to the 'green man' tradition associated with woodland spirits and symbolising resurrection, the latter echoed by the bird which, on the earlier version is a phoenix. However, in the form in which they appear on both firebacks they may be purely decorative devices. By contrast, the cabled anchor is the badge of the Lord High Admiral but in 1633 the office was vacant. The initials IM indicate that this is an early work by a prolific fireback pattern-maker more usually associated with the eastern Weald.

    Inscription: 1633 / HH IH / IM

    Manufactured: in 1633 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Pound Farm, Common Road, Dunsfold, Surrey, England.

    Citation: Wall, J. R. S., 20 May 1965, 'Wealden Fireback' [letter], Country Life, p. 1208.

  9. 1101

    east_grinstead, sackville college 04.jpg
    955 x 555 mm

    Description: Rectangular arrangement with fillet edging of eight square panels (four over four) between moulded stiles.

    Notes: The pattern for this fireback suggests that it was made from a section of panelling, perhaps fitted into a frame for rigidity.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Sackville College, Church Lane, East Grinstead, West Sussex, England.

  10. 275

    edburton,_tottington manor.jpg
    530 x 760 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with indented arch at bottom; bead within double fillet edging; shield, helm, crest and supporters of Bruce, of Duffryn, Glamorgan; 'Fuimus' inscription above crest; motto in rectangular panel below arms; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; scrolled tendril decoration all round, except at centre bottom where is inserted crowned 'A' between halves of date; mirrored scrolls above shoulders of plate.

    Notes: A modern plate in traditional style; the arms are of Henry Campbell Bruce (1851-1929), the second baron, who succeeded to the title in 1895.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: FVIMVS [We have been] / OFNER NA OFNE ANGAV [Fear him who does not fear death] / 19 A 06

    Arms: Henry Campbell Bruce, 2nd Baron Aberdare

    Manufactured: in 1906 in England.

    Current location: Tottington Manor, Edburton, West Sussex, England.