Firebacks

Edging: fillet

233 results

  1. 211

    penhalvean,_kernow_furniture_530x560.jpg
    530 x 560 mm

    Description: Rectangular with arched, mirrored, scrolls on top, a cartouche scallop shell between; fillet edging; between two trees, three soldiers in Roman dress, holding either pikes, swords or shields, one on a plinth; at the bottom, a separate rectangular panel with mirrored scrolled foliage.

    Notes: Possibly intended to represent the Horatii who, according to Livy, defeated the Curiatii.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Kernow Furniture, Penhalvean Pottery, Penhalvean, Cornwall, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 509

    penhurst,_church farm 02.jpg
    605 x 840 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with astragal and fillet edging; Phaëton riding Apollo’s chariot across the skies, the sun to the left behind clouds, a lion on ground below, between two trees; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; trailing convolvulus leaves surround the central panel; on top, earl’s coronet above an illegible character, between mirrored, swirled foliage.

    Notes: The illustration upon which the design has been based has not been identified, save that it figures in book II of Ovid's Metamorphoses. The convolvulus border is a common feature of this series of firebacks and can be compared with other. The wooden pattern from which this casting was made survives in the collection of the Sussex Archaeological Society (no. 928).

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century at Ashburnham Furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Penhurst Manor, Penhurst, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Whistler, R. F., 1888, 'Penhurst: being some account of its Iron Works, Manor House, Church, etc.,' Sussex Archaeological Collections, 36, pp. 1-18.

  3. 510

    penhurst,_church farm 03.jpg
    605 x 835 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with astragal and fillet edging; to the left, Æneäs carrying his father, Anchises; to the right, an arched gateway and portcullis beneath battlements with flames rising therefrom; above left, clouds; far left, a tree; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; trailing convolvulus leaves surround the central panel; plain rectangular extensions to the bottom and each side; on top, mirrored, swirled foliage.

    Notes: Many of the early illustrated editions of Ovid’s Metamorphoses show Æneäs escaping from burning Troy, with his father on his back, most of them with an archway in the background.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: TAN

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century at Ashburnham Furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Penhurst Manor, Penhurst, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Whistler, R. F., 1888, 'Penhurst: being some account of its Iron Works, Manor House, Church, etc.,' Sussex Archaeological Collections, 36, pp. 1-18.

  4. 516

    penshurst_07.jpg
    815 x 1060 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead-and-pellet edging; on a ground between two plants, a gadrooned flower vase with two, scrolled handles, tulips and other flowers issuing from the narrow neck; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; mirrored descending flower swags; along a rectangular bottom panel with fillet edging a symmetrical arrangement of swirled foliage; on top, two mirrored sea serpents.

    Notes: The presence of tulips suggest a Dutch origin for the pattern of this fireback, although the presence of several examples in England suggest that it was produced here rather than on the Continent.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in England.

    Current location: Penshurst Place, Penshurst, Kent, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 545

    pet-m-100.jpg
    594 x 817 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with canted top corners and bead-on-fillet edging; pictorial scene of Jesus at the well with the woman of Samaria; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; on top, central scallop shell with a descending dolphin on each side of the arch.

    Notes: A scene from the New Testament - John 4.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/100 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  6. 548

    pet-m-102.jpg
    679 x 830 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; female figure, a crown above her head, holding two snakes; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; top centre, knot of ribbon with festoons of pomegranates suspended therefrom via a ring on each shoulder of the plate; at the bottom, two crossed palm fronds; on top, symmetrical arrangements of swirled foliage; on each side, a plain rectangular panel with fillet edging.

    Notes: Possibly the allegorical figure of Democracy; the form of the palm fronds and the swirled foliage on top suggest a common pattern-maker with the TAN series and the Mayfield 'Dutch' series.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/102 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  7. 554

    pet-m-46.jpg
    657 x 915 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead-on-fillet edging; pictorial scene of a seated female holding a small child, with two putti, one on each side of her, the one on her right holding an olive branch, the one on her left holding a flaming heart, his foot aginst a globe; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; top centre, laurel wreath from which descend festoons of flowers and fruit suspended from roses; at the bottom, a cartouche containing the intials between two cornucopiae; on top, a scallop shell between two descending dolphins.

    Notes: The group is an allegorical representation of Charity

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: H S

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/46 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  8. 557

    pet-m-49.jpg
    750 x 1060 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of Venus, naked and kneeling, and Adonis, standing, holding a spear in his left hand, with Cupid to the left, and a hound and a quiver of arrows below to the right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; at top of arch, grape bunches; at each side, a festoon of fruit suspended on a ribbon from a lion's head; at the bottom, an oval cartouche between flowers; on top, an urn from which descends a dolphin on each side of the arch.

    Notes: The scene is based on the painting (c.1635) of Venus and Adonis by Peter Paul Rubens; the same central panel is known with several different borders.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/49 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  9. 558

    pet-m-50.jpg
    765 x 846 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; top centre, stamp formed of a carved domestic scene of a family around a table; in top corners, repeated small stamp of St George and the Dragon; below, repeated stamp of a pineapple in a pot; centre; small stamp of the royal arms of the United Kingdom 1801-37.

    Notes: The domestic group has been formed from a decorative iron mantelpiece ornament portraying the tale of the goose that laid golden eggs. Having killed the goose, the family are lamenting the loss of their bounty (see Ames, 1980, p.94). The same mantelpiece group and pineapple stamp can be seen as decoration on the kitchen spit assemblage at Petworth House, West Sussex, which was cast at Robert Chorley's foundry at Cocking, south of Midhurst. Evidently this and another fireback bearing the same ornament stamp were among items from the Cowdray estate sold in 1898.

    Manufactured: in the early 19th century probably at Cocking Foundry in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/50 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Ames, A., 1980, Collecting Cast Iron (Ashbourne, Moorland Publishing).

    Citation: Arnold, F. H., 1900, 'Notes and Queries No. 7: Relics of Old Cowdray', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 43, p. 281.

  10. 571

    pet-m-62.jpg
    592 x 822 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-on-fillet edging; pictorial scene of the interior of the stable at Bethlehem with a stone arched doorway and a hay stall in the background; in the left foreground the seated figure of the Virgin Mary with the infant Jesus, and Joseph behind; behind Joseph a donkey, and to the left of the child a seated ox; to the right, three figures, one kneeling and another holding a hat; in front of the kneeling figure a basket; arched rectangular border with fillet edging and a repeated leaf pattern; on top, a scallop shell between two dolphins.

    Notes: The scene is of the Adoration by the Magi - Matthew 2: 11.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/62 (part of the National Trust museum group)