Firebacks

Shape: arched rectangular

207 results

  1. 1211

    new_malden,_thornhill_galleries_02_850x810.jpg
    850 x 810 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape: ovolo-moulded edging; pictorial scene of St George in armour, mounted on a horse, spearing a dragon which lies beneath the horse; in each top corner, a rose.

    Notes: A portrayal of St George and the Dragon in bold relief that owes something to the famous modelling by Benedetto Pistrucci of 1817; however, the figure of St George is disproportionately large in relation to the horse.

    Manufactured: in the 20th century in England.

    Current location: Thornhill Galleries, 43-45 Wellington Crescent, New Malden, London, England.

  2. 502

    newick_park 03.jpg
    600 x >435 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; embattled cavetto-moulded edging; shield, garter, supporters and crown of James I of England; a branch sprouting a rose and leaf to the left of the crown, a branch sprouting a thistle and leaf to the right; initials at top, split by crown; date below shield.

    Notes: Similar in style to the 1619 series, this plate has larger rose and thistle plant stamps and was probably designed by the same pattern-maker

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: I R / 16 21

    Arms: English Stuart royal - James I

    Manufactured: in 1621 in England.

    Current location: Newick Park Hotel, Newick, East Sussex, England.

  3. 501

    newick_park_01a.jpg
    >700 x 645 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; central crest of a gryphon's head couped, its wings displayed; above, the initials, the 'S' above the 'P's; below, the date.

    Notes: The crest is likely to be that of Peter Short of Lindfield, Sussex, who married Philadelphia Burrell in 1704.

    Inscription: PSP / 1730

    Arms: Short of Lindfield

    Manufactured: in 1730 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Newick, East Sussex, England.

  4. 1144

    norton,_norton manor a.jpg
    1000 x 670 mm

    Description: Composite; arched rectangular shaped, armorial fireback, cavetto edging, with Stuart Royal arms, garter, supporters, crown and motto, and 1662 date above crown; this overlies a rectangular plate with fillet edging; top centre in the space each side of the central shield, an initial letter - A to left, B to right - each above a fleur-de-lys, its stem terminating in a small buckle.

    Notes: Several firebacks have incorporated the same Stuart royal shield, which probably originally dated to 1619, but with the date altered. A similar fireback, but without the initials and fleurs-de-lys, dated 1661, and reputed to have come from the Totsey, the old guildhall at the market cross in Gloucester, is illustrated in Ames, 1980, 23; possibly the same fireback was reported by the late David Bick to be at The Grange, Minsterworth, Gloucestershire (demolished in the late 1960s).

    Inscription: 16 62 / [Garter motto (illeg.)] / A B

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1662 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Norton, Wiltshire, England.

    Citation: Ames, A., 1980, Collecting Cast Iron (Ashbourne, Moorland Publishing).

    Citation: Badeni, J., 22 Sep 1983, 'Whose Fireback?' [letter], Country Life, 174, 4492, p. 772.

  5. 1141

    ozleworth,_newark park.jpg
    740 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); date stamp, 1634, in arch; initials, EH, separated by a cross, below date.

    Notes: The same date stamp has been noted on another fireback; the cross between the initials may have an apotropaic purpose.

    Inscription: 1634 /E + H

    Manufactured: in 1634 in England.

    Current location: Newark Park, Ozleworth, Gloucestershire, England.

    (part of the National Trust museum group)

  6. 1237

    panxworth,_norfolk_reclamation_03.jpg
    560 x 610 mm

    Description: Low-arched rectangular shape; cavetto-moulded edging (top and sides); top centre, shield, crest and motto of William Wood (1806-88), Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway.

    Notes: The blazon: Per chevron Argent and Or, a chevron counter-embattled between three mullets gules; crest: a talbot's head erased Or; motto: Semper Vigilans - Always Vigilant.

    Inscription: SEMPER VIGILANS

    Arms: William Wilson, Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 19th century in Scotland.

    Current location: Norfolk Antique and Reclamation Centre, Woolseys Farm, Salhouse Road, Panxworth, Norfolk, England.

  7. 508

    penhurst_church farm 01.jpg
    1680 x 950 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; no edging; top centre, crowned capital ‘A’; date divided at top corners of plate; single six-pointed star outside date.

    Notes: Earl’s coronet denotes the Earl of Ashburnham, furnace owner; the furnace was blown out for the last time in late February 1813, this fireback being reputedly the last casting from a Wealden furnace. One of a small series of firebacks cast in the early-19th century for farms on the Ashburnham estate.

    Inscription: * 18 A 13 *

    Manufactured: in 1813 at Ashburnham Furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Penhurst, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 558

    pet-m-50.jpg
    765 x 846 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; top centre, stamp formed of a carved domestic scene of a family around a table; in top corners, repeated small stamp of St George and the Dragon; below, repeated stamp of a pineapple in a pot; centre; small stamp of the royal arms of the United Kingdom 1801-37.

    Notes: The domestic group has been formed from a decorative iron mantelpiece ornament portraying the tale of the goose that laid golden eggs. Having killed the goose, the family are lamenting the loss of their bounty (see Ames, 1980, p.94). The same mantelpiece group and pineapple stamp can be seen as decoration on the kitchen spit assemblage at Petworth House, West Sussex, which was cast at Robert Chorley's foundry at Cocking, south of Midhurst. Evidently this and another fireback bearing the same ornament stamp were among items from the Cowdray estate sold in 1898.

    Manufactured: in the early 19th century probably at Cocking Foundry in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/50 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Ames, A., 1980, Collecting Cast Iron (Ashbourne, Moorland Publishing).

    Citation: Arnold, F. H., 1900, 'Notes and Queries No. 7: Relics of Old Cowdray', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 43, p. 281.

  9. 563

    pet-m-57.jpg
    564 x 588 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto edging; Stuart royal arms of England (quarterly, 1st and 4th, France and England, 2nd Scotland and 3rd Ireland) with garter, crown, motto and supporters; initials either side of crown base.

    Notes: As in others of this series the design overlaps the edging.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: C R / ...SOIT QVI MAL Y ...

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/57 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 580

    pet-m-71.jpg
    474 x 606 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with fillet edging and a repeated line and concentric semi-circle design; wicker enclosure with gate at bottom, overlaid with a lion rampant surmounted by a crown.

    Notes: The enclosure is the Garden of Holland (Hollandse Tuin) and the lion the badge of the States General of the Netherlands; on the shoulders of the plate, and on three other positions equally spaced around the arch, repeated small fleurs-d-lys.

    Inscription: ...E HOV...

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Petworth House, Petworth, West Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/PET/M/71 (part of the National Trust museum group)