Firebacks

Shape: 'Dutch'

170 results

  1. 928

    lewes_002.jpg
    610 x 830 mm

    Description: Carved wooden fireback pattern. Arched rectangular central panel with astragal and fillet edging; Phaëton riding Apollo’s chariot across the skies, the sun to the left behind clouds, a lion on ground below, between two trees; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; trailing convolvulus leaves surround the central panel.

    Notes: The illustration upon which the design has been based has not been identified, save that it figures in book II of Ovid's Metamorphoses. The convolvulus border is a common feature of this series of firebacks; given to the Sussex Archaeological Society by the Earl of Ashburnham.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Manwaring Baines, J., 1958, Wealden Firebacks (Hastings Museum).

    Citation: Whistler, R. F., 1888, 'Penhurst: being some account of its Iron Works, Manor House, Church, etc.,' Sussex Archaeological Collections, 36, pp. 1-18.

  2. 464

    little_horsted, college farm 02.jpg
    715 x 608 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel, bead edging (top and sides), pedestal bearing a supine male figure with headband being trampled by a horse, facing left, mounted by a rider with long hair, facing to the front; on each side of the plinth is a seated figure with a basket of fruit; the inscription is split either side of the horse; arched rectangular shaped border, fillet edging, on each side a Solomonic column with vine decoration; in the arch, symmetrical parallel curved lines intertwined beneath a crown; on top of each shoulder of the plate a female figure in repose.

    Notes: The equestrian figure is derived from the statue of Charles II erected in Stocks Market, London, in 1672. Originally to be of Jan Sobieski, later king of Poland, riding down a Tatar, it was altered to represent Charles, and the Tatar’s face was changed to that of Oliver Cromwell; the statue attracted a fair degree of derision. The 'CC' monogram is likely to be for Charles and Catherine (of Braganza). The statue is now at Newby Hall, near Ripon, North Yorkshire.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: CC [interlocked, and the first reversed] R

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Little Horsted, East Sussex, England.

  3. 1005

    lostwithiel,_deja vu antiques.jpg
    330 x 550 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel within double fillet foliate edging; pictorial scene of a crudely modelled clothed female figure holding a wand? in the right hand; indistinct pictorial element to bottom right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging containing repeated swirled decoration; on top, two mirrored sea monsters.

    Notes: A crude pastiche of the 'Dutch' style of fireback; the central figure may be Hera with a peacock. Formerly at the Raleigh Trevelyan estate, St Cadix, Cornwall.

    Inscription: WHC[?]

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Deja Vu Antiques, 31 Fore Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, England.

  4. 476

    maidstone_museum 02.jpg
    443 x 630 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead edging; pictorial scene of a stork dipping its beak into a tall pot, a fox close by, a tree to the right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; at top, a double clasp with descending ribbon on each side from which are suspended, via rings, a shield, trumpets and an armoured torso; at the bottom, an oval cartouche between two blocks; on the top, a central pomegranate between two descending sea serpents, and a pomegranate on each shoulder of the plate.

    Notes: The scene illustrates one of Aesop's Fables.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Maidstone Museum, St Faith's Street, Maidstone, Kent, England.

    (part of the Maidstone Museum museum group)

  5. 479

    maidstone_museum 10.jpg
    610 x 890 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead-and-pellet edging; on a ground between two plants, a gadrooned flower vase with two, scrolled handles, tulips and other flowers issuing from the narrow neck; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; mirrored descending flower swags; along a rectangular bottom panel with fillet edging a symmetrical arrangement of swirled foliage; on top, two mirrored sea serpents.

    Notes: The presence of tulips suggest a Dutch origin for the pattern of this fireback, although the presence of several examples in England suggest that it was produced here rather than on the Continent.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in England.

    Current location: Maidstone Museum, St Faith's Street, Maidstone, Kent, England.

    (part of the Maidstone Museum museum group)

  6. 1170

    marlborough_ma,_skinners_482x724.jpg
    482 x 724 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead on broad fillet edging; two-handled vase standing on a ground, with flowers and oak fronds issuing therefrom in a symmetrical display; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; symmetrical undulating vine with flowers and leaves descending from a trio of flowers; at the bottom, the letter W in a cartouche between swirled foliage; on top, mirrored swirled foliage issuing upwards from a mythical creature on each shoulder.

    Notes: The floral theme and its execution shows parallels with the SHR, N and 1724 series of firebacks and could be from the same workshop. The 'W' initial probably denotes the pattern maker.

    Inscription: W

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location:, USA.

  7. 489

    michelham_003.jpg
    715 x 1003 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with additional arch above; bead and fillet edging; pictorial scene of Solomon, rising from a scallop-backed, canopied throne, greeting the Queen of Sheba, with other figures in attendance; identical shaped border with cavetto-moulded edging; a vase on top with descending swags of drapery; at the sides, overlapping bunches of foliage suspended from ribbon bows; at the bottom, a central cartouche between fruit bunches; on top, a pomegranate with a descending serpent on each side, and a pomegranate on each shoulder of the plate.

    Notes: Several contemporary paintings are of similar scenes; this design may have been derived from any of them.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  8. 492

    michelham_006.jpg
    374 x 540 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel; fillet and ovolo edging; a ring suspended with drapery, supporting a bird, its wings displayed and inverted, looking to the right, with a small roundel below it in each corner; arched rectangular border with fillet edging, and symmetrical drapery in the arch; and indistinct figure on each side, and indistinct foliage below; on top, a scllop shell between two descending serpents.

    Notes: A bird, usually a parrot, perching on a suspended ring can be seen on other firebacks produced in the Siegerland for the Dutch market in the latter part of the 17th century.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Michelham Priory, Arlington, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  9. 1131

    milton_common,_three_pigeons_02a.jpg
    510 x 775 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with 'nutshell' edging; pictorial: Mercury in his chariot drawn by two birds (possibly ravens) across the clouds, his caduceus held aloft; above are clouds, below is a landscape with plants; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, a scallop shell top centre with descending symmetrical arrangement of vine and acanthus leaves and tendrils; the monogram, SHR, bottom centre; on top is a symmetrical design of scrolled floral tendrils. One vertical plankline right of centre.

    Notes: The design is based on a personification of the planet Mercury in 'Planetarum effectus et eorum in signis zodiaci', by Marten de Vos (1585). The holes were for fixing to a grate.

    Inscription: SHR

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Lassco, Three Pigeons, Milton Common, Great Milton, Oxfordshire, England.

  10. 1203

    milton_common,_three_pigeons_03.jpg
    805 x 1060 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead on fillet edging; central shield of the Dutch house of Orange impaling English royal Stuart, surmounted by a crown and supported by two putti; above, a maske with two descending grape bunches; below, two more putti seated on scrolls and cornucopiae; a drapery swag and bow in each top corner; arched rectangular border with cavetto-moulded edging and canted top corners; on each side, a Corinthian column and entablature on a pedestal, the columns with floriate decoration; below, a symmetrical swirled design; above the arch, from a scallop shell on each shoulder, two serpents rising towards a third scallop on top.

    Notes: The arms are of William IV Prince of Orange (1650-1702) impaling those of his wife, Mary, Queen of Great Britain. Note, these are not the royal arms of William III and Mary II as joint sovereigns, but as Prince and Princess of Orange. William and Mary married in 1677 and Mary died in 1694, so the fireback dates from between 1689, when Mary became Queen, and 1694. A fireback of the same design with the arms of Louis XIV of France is illustrated by Elling and Winkler-Borck, p.213; it has the initials AD in the cartouche above the arch, not visible on this casting.

    Arms: William of Orange

    Manufactured: in the late 17th century possibly in the Siegerland area of Germany.

    Current location: Lassco, Three Pigeons, Milton Common, , Great Milton, Oxfordshire, England.

    Citation: Elling, W. & Winkler-Borck, S., 1992, Ofen- und Kaminplatten (Vreden, Hamaland-Museum).