Firebacks

Manufactured in England

874 results

  1. 117

    hastings_007.jpg
    724 x 622 mm

    Description: Rectangular with triangular pediment; stepped fillet and ogee moulded edge to pediment; twisted rope sides; date in portico; medallion with dog crest stamped twice in top left and right corners.

    Notes: It may be that the date and portico form a separate panel, as the position of the date appears to be the same on the three known castings where it is found.

    Inscription: 1586

    Manufactured: in 1586 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1917.196.5 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

  2. 118

    hastings_008.jpg
    730 x 580 mm

    Description: Rectangular with triangular pediment; stepped fillet and ogee moulded edge; initials in rectangular panel (F reversed); date in portico.

    Notes: The triangular top is a separate element, in this instance impressed before the lower panel. A variant at the Victoria and Albert Museum (no. 771) has the letters positioned slightly differently. A version of this fireback, with a rope-edged panel in the lower part, and medallion stamps, can also be seen at Hastings. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Inscription: 1586 F M

    Manufactured: in 1586 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.58 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  3. 119

    hastings_009.jpg
    685 x 430 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto moulded edge on all sides; perspective view of a lantern clock.

    Notes: The arms of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers were granted in 1672: Sable a Clock each of the four pillars of the case based on a Lion couchant and capped with a Globe surmounted by a Cross and on the dome of the case an Imperial Crown all Or. The hands of the clock show six o’clock, as on the livery company shield. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.48 (LA 776) (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  4. 123

    hastings_013.jpg
    560 x 510 mm

    Description: Rectangular; top panel with bearded face between symmetrical horizontal scrolls, and faces at either end; scrolls are repeated below, on either side of the date, all above a horizontal double fillet; below, a pair of arches with guilloche decoration between fillets, and toothed on the underside, are supported on each side by Tuscan columns, also with guilloche decoration; this is repeated in symmetrical rectangular panels on either side; at the centre base a bulbous nozzle protrudes.

    Notes: This is a smith's forge fireback, the nozzle being the tuyere directing the air into the fire from bellows behind. Stylistically similar to the Lenard and other firebacks of the same period, the carved elements above the nozzle may have been cast from a pattern inspired by the back of a joined 'wainscot' chair, with the date inserted. The back may have been used for forging non-ferrous metals as there was a trade in pot-founding in bronze as well as iron at some ironworks in the Weald. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Inscription: 1655

    Manufactured: in 1655 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.62 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 1916, 'Old Wealden Firebacks', The Connoisseur, 46, pp. 197-209.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2014, 'A Seventeenth-Century Sussex Woodcarver: The Evidence of Cast Ironwork', Regional Furniture, 28, pp. 39-48.

  5. 124

    hastings_014.jpg
    600 x 440 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, crowned Tudor royal shield; fleur de lys on each side and below; slanting, inverted 'V' of twisted rope on each side of lower fleur.

    Notes: One of a large series of firebacks incorporating Tudor heraldic stamps; the 'V' shapes may have apotropaic significance.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1904.32 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

  6. 126

    hastings_016.jpg
    >533 x 660 mm

    Description: Fragment; rectangular; astragal and fillet edging (top and sides); oblique lion passant above two left facing 'imps', one with right arm raised, the other with both arms lowered.

    Notes: One of the legs of the leopard is missing, suggesting that the stamp, which appears complete on many firebacks, was well used and had been damaged; this suggests a relatively late use of this stamp.One of a large series all bearing royal heraldic stamps, but unusual in the use of moulded edging, twisted rope being normally used for this series. The surviving elements were probably mirrored on the missing half. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.12 (LA 760) (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2022, 'A Tudor Fireback Stamp: the progressive deterioration of its condition as evidence of the relative age of castings', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 27, pp. 42-5.

  7. 127

    hastings_017.jpg
    1290 x 760 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, crowned Tudor royal shield between a lion passant on the right and a lion passant guardant sinister on the left; in each top corner a crowned four-petal rose, below which, to the right, a left-facing 'imp' with right arm raised, and to the left, a left-facing 'imp' with both arms lowered.

    Notes: One of a large series bearing heraldic stamps.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1925.3 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

  8. 128

    hastings_018.jpg
    597 x 463 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides), with dowel across the top corners; symmetrical arrangement of four crowned four-petal roses, top centre, bottom centre and both top corners; symmetrical arrangement of four fleurs de lys, two either side of top central rose, two in bottom corners.

    Notes: One of a large series bearing heraldic stamps. Given to Hastings Museum by Mr A. E. Anderson of Brightling Hall, Robertsbridge, Sussex.

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1914.64.1 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Browne, P. J., 27 Jul 1967, 'Sussex Firebacks ... History of an Early Application of Cast Iron', Foundry Trade Journal, pp. 109-111.

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 16 Feb 1935, 'A Tudor Fireback', Hastings and St Leonards Observer.

    Citation: Baines, J. M., 1958, Wealden Firebacks (Hastings Museum).

  9. 129

    hastings_019.jpg
    910 x 540 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); date stamp top centre; arched rectangular style fireback with cavetto-moulded edge and fructed ‘vine’ plant design, impressed twice; vertical twisted rope length between. Damage to bottom corners.

    Notes: A composite fireback using the impressions of another fireback repeated for a symmetrical design. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Inscription: 1673

    Manufactured: in 1673 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.65 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 130

    hastings_020.jpg
    370 x 610 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead on fillet edging; helmeted figure of Mars holding a cutlass in his right hand, standing on a field of flags, spears and cannon; 'Palladian' shaped border with fillet edging enclosing a repeated scrollwork pattern with floral arrangement at base; on top, symmetrical arrangement of scallop shell between two sea serpents and plant fronds.

    Notes: Although in the 'Dutch'; style, an absence of this type in continental collections suggests an British source. Formerly part of the Ade Collection (from Grove Hill, Hellingly, Sussex).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, John's Place, Bohemia Road, Hastings, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: HASMG: 1952.51.32 (part of the Hastings Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).