Firebacks

Manufactured in England

836 results

  1. 715

    unknown_16 bay hall, lincs 914x610.jpg
    914 x 610 mm

    Description: Rectangular with pediment arch; wide fillet edging rebated in side edge; upper centre, initials formed of individual letters; an unidentified series of shapes in relief in the top right corner may be thumb prints.

    Notes: The edging and letter ‘W’ are very similar to those on the ‘1589’ series of firebacks and may have the same origin. Formerly at Bay Hall, Benington, Lincolnshire.

    Inscription: WE

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Benington, Lincolnshire, England.

  2. 717

    unknown_24 457 x 737.jpg
    457 x 737 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with bead-on-fillet edging; femal figure holding scales in her right hand and a sword in her left hand, foliage and clouds behind; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; from a central bow with three tassels at the top, two suspended festoons of flowers, each running through a ring under the top corners, and continuing along the bottom; on top, a central cartouche between mirrored foliate scrolls.

    Notes: The female is an allegorical representation of Justice.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location:.

  3. 1157

    unknown_25_457_x_533_a.jpg
    457 x 533 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; a shield with the arms of the Grocers' Company on a cartouche, surrounded by four sprays of olive leaves.

    Notes: The blazon of the arms is: Argent, a chev­ron gules between nine cloves six in chief and three in base proper. The arms were granted in 1532. The style of the fireback owes something to the design of French firebacks of the mid-17th century.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Worshipful Company of Grocers

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century in England.

    Current location:.

  4. 719

    unknown_27 743x787.jpg
    743 x 787 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel; bead-and-pellet edging; pictorial scene of a male figure seated in a chariot, his left arm resting on the side of the chariot, his right hand holding a sceptre at arm’s length, the chariot drawn by two lions across a ground with small bushes; clouds above with the personification of the wind blowing to the left; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; repeated, linked scroll-work on all sides; on top a vase of fruit between two mirrored serpents; on each side, rectangular extension panel with a curved top copying the side borders.

    Notes: A variant has no extension panels; similar to other designs incorporating figures in chariots, though not from the same series.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location:.

  5. 818

    unknown_30 790x700.jpg
    790 x 700 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape; on a ground, an armorial achievement comprising a central cartouche on which is an oval shield bearing the arms of the Cavendish family, with graduated bead edging; supporters, two stags rampant; above the cartouche, on a wreath a coiled snake crest surmounted by an earl’s coronet; the date split either side of the crest; to each side, a column with foliate capital supporting a three-sided arch with ovolo-moulded edging, on each shoulder of which is a flaming orb.

    Notes: The arms are those of William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Devonshire (1640-1707), but the fireback is of the arms of the Earls of Devonshire; an earlier casting shows a date of 1657; on this casting the second pair of numerals of the date has been changed. Christie's auction 3 Dec 2014 lot 15 (dated incorrectly as 1693).

    Inscription: 1695

    Arms: William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Devonshire, as 4th Earl of Devonshire

    Manufactured: in 1695 in England.

    Current location:, England.

  6. 819

    unknown_32 760x660.jpg
    760 x 660 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto moulding (top and sides); date in top corners; shield, supporters, coronet and motto of the Barony of Bergavenny.

    Notes: The arms are those of William Nevill, 16th Baron Bergavenny, of Kidbrooke Park, Forest Row, Sussex; the arms have been modified by the omission of the motto below the compartment.

    Inscription: 17 37

    Arms: William Nevill, 16th Baron Bergavenny

    Manufactured: in 1737 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Greenham, Somerset, England.

  7. 835

    unknown_33 330x545.jpg
    330 x 545 mm

    Description: Rectangular central panel with fillet edging; poorly modelled standing figure possibly of Diana, goddess of hunting, holding a bow in her left hand and an arrow in her right hand, on a low plinth; border with fillet edging along sides and bottom, with mirrored vine tendril and leaves on each side; date split either side of leaves at bottom; on top, symmetrical swirled foliate arrangement.

    Notes: A characteristic small fireback from the period of the changeover to coal-fired domestic heating.

    Inscription: 17 33

    Manufactured: in 1733 in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Shoreditch, London, England.

  8. 847

    unknown_39 430x430.jpg
    430 x 430 mm

    Description: Originally rectangular; two identical panels, each with braid edging, a vine standard with six bunches of grapes and a cluster at the top.

    Notes: One of an unusual series formed from separate panels arranged, in this instance, with repeated panel; fire-damaged, hence the distorted shape. Recovered after the fire at Nymans, Handcross, Sussex in 1947.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

  9. 848

    unknown_40_850x640_altered_bw.jpg
    ~920 x ~750 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape with rounded corners; ovolo within fillet moulding all round; oval Tudor royal shield with garter surrounding, topped with a royal crown; dragon and greyhound supporters; initials split by crown; inscription on a fillet between legs of supporters, behind garter finial; motto on an Ionic plinth at bottom; two rectangular side panels, each with a bird stamp (probably a swan, a Lancastrian badge) above a vine strip stamp repeated three times vertically.

    Notes: One of two known variants of the John Harvo fireback incorporating extension panels with vine strips and 'swans'; the positions of the swans vary slightly between the two variants.

    Inscription: E R / HONY SOIT QUE MAL Y PAYNCE

    Arms: Tudor royal - prob. Edward VI

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century possibly at Pounsley Furnace, Framfield in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:.

  10. 901

    unknown_42  laughing lion 787x700mm.jpg
    787 x 700 mm

    Description: Quasi-Arched rectangular shape with cyma reversa shoulders; ovolo edging; stylised lion passant guardant; crowned rose with leaf and stem on left, crowned fleur de lys on right, thistle with leaves above centre; three right-facing scrolls at base; down-facing scroll, with staple, on right side; date split between bottom corners; initials below date, bottom right.

    Notes: Blatantly Royalist in its symbolism, a variant is dated (perhaps less convincingly) 1649. Numeral style, initials, leaf depiction and the stapled scroll are typical features of firebacks made from patterns by the same maker. A later version of the same subject, but with a different shaped plate and without the fleur-de-lys, is also known (see 'Royalist series'). M. A. Lower writes of this design of fireback being cast at Waldron Furnace in Sussex (Lower, 1849, p.219).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 16 41 / IM

    Manufactured: in 1641 possibly at Brede Furnace in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Wandsworth, London, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2014, 'A Seventeenth-Century Sussex Woodcarver: The Evidence of Cast Ironwork', Regional Furniture, 28, pp. 39-48.

    Citation: Lower, M. A., 1849, 'Iron Works of the County of Sussex', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2, pp. 169-220 (esp. pp. 188-9).