Firebacks

Manufactured in England

874 results

  1. 471

    lodsworth,_blackdown house 01.jpg
    1170 x 865 mm

    Description: Rectangular with small central triangle on top; twisted rope edging (top and sides) and across base of triangle; top centre, date, centrally positioned above the separated pairs of initials, WY; below and right of centre, rope saltire; bottom centre, a hole apparently puncturing the plate from behind.

    Notes: The initials are those of William Yalden (1580-1659), an ironmaster who was active in north-west Sussex and south-west Surrey where this and other similar firebacks have been noted. The saltire is likely to have had an apotropaic purpose. Although undoubtedly connected with the builder of the house wherein it rests, the fireback pre-dates the building, which was erected in 1640.

    Inscription: 1616 / WY WY

    Manufactured: in 1616 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Lodsworth, West Sussex, England.

  2. 277

    london,_museum_of_london_895x875_80_271_92.jpg
    895 x 875 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular with cavetto-moulding along top, supported by Ionic pilasters; English Stuart royal shield, garter, helm, crown, motto and supporters; date below and either side of garter.

    Notes: One of several firebacks, all of the same date, but varying in size, framing style and moulding; all have stylistic features in common and will have been the work of the same pattern maker, who was also responsible for carving royal coats of arms in three West Country churches.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: I R [Jacobus Rex] / HONI SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE / 16 18 / DIEV ET MON DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal (James I)

    Manufactured: in 1618 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Museum of London, 150 London Wall, London, England.

    Museum number: 80.271/92 (part of the Museum of London museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2012, 'Pre-Restoration Iron Firebacks', Journal of the Antique Metalware Society, 20, pp. 2-15.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2017, 'Church Armorials and Firebacks: Evidence of an Early 17th-Century Woodcarver', Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 135, pp. 213-223.

  3. 1060

    london_metropolitan archives 01a.jpg
    ? x ? mm

    Description: Central shield bearing a lion rampant reguardant, with esquire's helm and crest of a seated hawk, surrounded by foliage and tasselled ribbons; twisted rope edging at each side; the shape of the fireback is dictated by the decorative elements; initials split by shield, the date similarly split below the initials.

    Notes: Drawing of a fireback from old premises, formerly a baker's, opposite 20 Love Lane (later known as Lovat Lane), which ran between Eastcheap and Lower Thames Street; the arms appear to be those of the Morrice family (blazon: gules, a lion rampant reguardant or). Drawn by Charles Raymond Booth Barrett, 1891. A fireback of unique design.

    Inscription: W M / 15 86

    Arms: Morrice or Maurice

    Manufactured: in 1586 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Museum number: SC/GL/PR/370/LOV/1/q7706298 (part of the London Metropolitan Archives museum group)

    Citation: Windyer Morris, G. T., 4 Oct 1902, 'Arms on Fireback', Notes and Queries, 9th series, 10, p. 278.

  4. 1272

    london_sw13_610x730.jpg
    610 x 730 mm

    Description: Arched shape; cavetto-moulded edging to the arch; quartered shield with an, off-centre, knight's helm, wreath and mantling, and crest of a cubit arm vested, or habited, cuffed and erased holding an arrow in bend sinister; the shield has, in the 1st quarter three lions rampant, in the 2nd a bend cotised, in the 3rd possibly a lion rampant, and in the 4th possibly a dragon rampant within a bordure indented; below the shield, a partially indistinct motto.

    Notes: From the style of the mantling the pattern carver may have also been responsible for other firebacks from the west Midlands or Welsh border area. A short horizontal fillet on the right extending perpendicular to the vertical fillet edging below the arch indicates that the fireback originally was of arched rectangular shape and extended to the left and right. The cavetto edging around the arch would have extended to the bottom of the fireback were this not so.

    Inscription: ...ACH CAVSE...

    Arms: Not known

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century in England.

    Current location:, not known.

  5. 964

    longhope,_glasshouse inn 1.jpg
    1295 x 660 mm

    Description: Rectangular; Twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, date; initials in triad in top corners; a double fleurs-de-lys between date and each set of initials, and two rotated down each side of the plate.

    Notes: Formerly at a cottage in Bradford's Lane, Newent, Gloucestershire. Illustration from Bick 1987.

    Inscription: TRD / 1662 / TRD

    Manufactured: in 1662 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: The Glasshouse Inn, May Hill, Longhope, Gloucestershire, England.

    Citation: Bick, D. E., 1987, The Mines of Newent and Ross, (Newent, The Pound House), p. 35.

  6. 1005

    lostwithiel,_deja vu antiques.jpg
    330 x 550 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel within double fillet foliate edging; pictorial scene of a crudely modelled clothed female figure holding a wand? in the right hand; indistinct pictorial element to bottom right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging containing repeated swirled decoration; on top, two mirrored sea monsters.

    Notes: A crude pastiche of the 'Dutch' style of fireback; the central figure may be Hera with a peacock. Formerly at the Raleigh Trevelyan estate, St Cadix, Cornwall.

    Inscription: WHC[?]

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Deja Vu Antiques, 31 Fore Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, England.

  7. 474

    lower_3b.png
    >750 x ~750 mm

    Description: Fragment; arched rectangular shape with rounded corners; ovolo within fillet moulding all round; oval Tudor royal shield with garter surrounding, topped with a royal crown; dragon and greyhound supporters; initials split by crown; inscription on a fillet between legs of supporters, behind garter finial; motto on an Ionic plinth at bottom; left hand rectangular extension panel with twisted rope edging on top and side: initials in top left corner, ‘dragon’s head’ in top right corner, rose-en-soleil stamp in centre, rose stamp bottom centre.

    Notes: The letters on the extension panel are the same form and size as those on the top of the armorial pattern, indicating that they were added to the armorial, perhaps to indicate a change of reign. The letter 'E' has also been noted on another fireback of the same series. The rose-en-soleil was the badge of King Edward IV and, thus, a Yorkist symbol; it is seen on other firebacks. From a house in Chailey, Sussex. Illustration from Lower (1849).

    Inscription: E R / E / R / HONY SOIT QUE MAL Y PAYNCE / Made in Sussex by John Harvo / DV ET MOVN DR...

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lower, M. A., 1849, 'Iron Works of the County of Sussex', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2, pp. 169-220 (esp. pp. 188-9).

  8. 473

    lower_4a.jpg
    ~857 x ~680 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); in arch; rose and crown with dragon and lion supporters, above a fleur cross and a crowned shield bearing a small fleur-de-lys; text across top half, each word separated by two fleur terminals; lower left and right, twice repeated eight-pointed star design formed of twisted rope with fleur-de-lys terminals; bottom left, ‘I’; bottom right, ‘A’.

    Notes: A James Hide married Joan Blackefane at Horley, Surrey on 11th October 1579; illustrated in Lower, 1849 p. 217, when it was at Sutton Hurst, Barcombe, Sussex (still there in 1893, house since demolished). One of a series of distinctive firebacks cast in 1582, most with inscriptions dedicated to pairs of individuals; the initials IA may be of the founder as they appear in the same arrangement on other firebacks.

    Inscription: THES : IS FOR IAMES : / HIDE : AND : ION : HIS : WIF [W inverted] / 1582 / I A

    Manufactured: in 1582 possibly at Pounsley Furnace, Framfield in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lower, M. A., 1849, 'Iron Works of the County of Sussex', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2, pp. 169-220 (esp. pp. 188-9).

  9. 864

    ludlow_museum.jpg
    980 x 675 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; double fillet edging (top and sides); top centre, date; initials in triad, repeated on each side, with a fleur-de-lys between; three fleurs-de-lys evenly spaced below initial groups.

    Notes: The initials are likely to be those of a husband (E) and wife (I/J) whose surname begins R.

    Inscription: 1688 / ERI ERI [both triads]

    Manufactured: in 1688 possibly in the Shropshire area of England.

    Current location: Castle Square, Ludlow, Shropshire, England.

    (part of the Ludlow Museum museum group)

  10. 475

    lynchmere,_shulbrede 03.jpg
    795 x 750 mm

    Description: Composite of three elements; central panel has a complex ‘knot’ pattern with a fillet edge; side panel, repeated on either side of the central panel, contains a vase of flowers, possibly stylised thistles, within an arched frame and fillet edge; arched panel above, also with fillet edge, contains the date and inscription; the spandrels of the side panels, and the arched top panel, contain a series of 'bullseye' motifs comprising concentric rings deepening towards the centre.

    Notes: One of an unusual series formed from separate panels arranged, in this instance, with the outer panel repeated.‘Knot’ patterns were popular in gardens of the period. The garden theme is continued with the side panels. A version of the same design, recorded in a photograph of 1904 at Willesden, London, is a different casting, the top panel with the date and initials, being straight not slightly askew as in this example.

    Inscription: 1598 / IM IB

    Manufactured: in 1598 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Linchmere, West Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).