Firebacks

Manufactured in England

874 results

  1. 928

    lewes_002.jpg
    610 x 830 mm

    Description: Carved wooden fireback pattern. Arched rectangular central panel with astragal and fillet edging; Phaëton riding Apollo’s chariot across the skies, the sun to the left behind clouds, a lion on ground below, between two trees; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; trailing convolvulus leaves surround the central panel.

    Notes: The illustration upon which the design has been based has not been identified, save that it figures in book II of Ovid's Metamorphoses. The convolvulus border is a common feature of this series of firebacks; given to the Sussex Archaeological Society by the Rev. J. Bickersteth.

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

    Citation: Baines, J. M., 1958, Wealden Firebacks (Hastings Museum).

    Citation: Dawson, C., 1903, 'Sussex Iron Work and Pottery', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 46, pp. 1-54.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Whistler, R. F., 1888, 'Penhurst: being some account of its Iron Works, Manor House, Church, etc.,' Sussex Archaeological Collections, 36, pp. 1-18.

  2. 1053

    lh000.954.jpg
    745 x 390 mm

    Description: Rectangular; cyma curve and fillet edging; crowned Tudor rose within a pediment resting on Tuscan pilasters and pedestals; faint impression of a shield bearing a lion rampant repeated in each top corner.

    Notes: The width of this fireback may indicate that another fireback in this series was used as its pattern and the shields added before casting.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Anne of Cleves House, Southover High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: LH000.954 (part of the Sussex Archaeological Society museum group)

  3. 1286

    lichfield_01.jpg
    ~750 x ~905 mm

    Description: Low-arched shape within broad fillet edging; on a plain field a Tudor royal shield, quarterly France Modern and England, supported by a stylised dragon and greyhound and surmounted by a crown, all resting on a two-stepped compartment with cavetto- and astragal-moulded edging at the top.

    Notes: Pastiche 'Tudor' design by George Shaw of Saddleworth, Lancashire, c.1850, possibly intended to be passed off as genuine Tudor. Examples are also to be found in Warkworth Castle and Cheetham's Library, Manchester, both with a leaf pattern on the edging and 'scales' on the dragon. Firebacks of the same armorial design within a different, arched rectangular, edging are known, an example being at Hever Castle, Kent.

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in the mid 19th century possibly in the Lancashire area of England.

    Current location: Guildhall, Bore Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire, England.

  4. 945

    lindfield,_woodsland farm 01.jpg
    785 x 590 mm

    Description: Rectangular with two-stepped top; twisted rope edging (top and sides) formed of short rope sections, with top vertical sections extending down beyond the join with the next horizontal section; top centre, stamp formed of a talbot statant guardant upon a wreath; date separated by crest stamp; initials below and separated by date.

    Notes: The talbot crest has been seen on other firebacks indicating a common source.

    Inscription: 16 21 / R T

    Manufactured: in 1621 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Lindfield, West Sussex, England.

  5. 946

    lindfield,_woodsland farm 02.jpg
    832 x 500 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); initials in triad to left of date (7 reversed), all between two twisted rope saltires.

    Notes: The distinctive form of the number '5' has been seen on another fireback indicating a common source.

    Inscription: RAE [triad] 1657

    Manufactured: in 1657 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Lindfield, West Sussex, England.

  6. 463

    little_horsted, college farm 01.jpg
    >820 x 620 mm

    Description: Fragment; rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and side); top centre, crowned Tudor royal shield (over-pressed) above a crowned shield (over-pressed) bearing initials above a fleur-de-lys; to left, a leopard passant guardant sinister diagonally position with its rear toward the bottom left corner; to right, a leopard passant, also diagonally positioned, its rear towards the bottom right; in the top corners, a crowned four-petalled rose (over-pressed); below the left rose, a left-directed ‘imp’ figure looking right, its arms lowered; bottom right, a left-directed ‘imp’ figure, its left arm raised; to right of the lower shield, a four-petalled rose askew.

    Notes: One of the ‘Royal’ series.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Little Horsted, East Sussex, England.

  7. 464

    little_horsted, college farm 02.jpg
    715 x 608 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel, bead edging (top and sides), pedestal bearing a supine male figure with headband being trampled by a horse, facing left, mounted by a rider with long hair, facing to the front; on each side of the plinth is a seated figure with a basket of fruit; the inscription is split either side of the horse; arched rectangular shaped border, fillet edging, on each side a Solomonic column with vine decoration; in the arch, symmetrical parallel curved lines intertwined beneath a crown; on top of each shoulder of the plate a female figure in repose.

    Notes: The equestrian figure is derived from the statue of Charles II erected in Stocks Market, London, in 1672. Originally to be of Jan Sobieski, later king of Poland, riding down a Tatar, it was altered to represent Charles, and the Tatar’s face was changed to that of Oliver Cromwell; the statue attracted a fair degree of derision. The 'CC' monogram is likely to be for Charles and Catherine (of Braganza). The statue is now at Newby Hall, near Ripon, North Yorkshire. Another version (no. 280) is dated 1674 and has altered initials.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: CC [interlocked, and the first reversed] R

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 17th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Little Horsted, East Sussex, England.

  8. 465

    little_horsted, college farm 03.jpg
    1020 x 870 mm

    Description: Rectangular with three-faced arch; ogee moulded edging; top centre, overlapping, crossed staples arranged diagonally, each pointing to a bottom corner.

    Notes: The crossed staple is the badge of the Nevill family, and this fireback came from Eridge Park, the seat of the Marquess of Abergavenny.

    Manufactured: in the 18th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Little Horsted, East Sussex, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  9. 472

    llan_ffestiniog,_bryn_llywelyn_a.jpg
    1067 x 838 mm

    Description: Rectangular with central triangular arch; twisted rope edging (top and sides); in arch, on top, a small cross formed of fleurs-de-lys above a rose and crown with dragon and lion supporters above two crowned shields each bearing a small fleur-de-lys; text across top half, a small cross formed of fleurs-de-lys ending the first and third lines, the top two lines split by the crowned shields, each word separated by two opposed fleurs; below the text, four crowned shields each with a fleur-de-lys, the date between the middle two; bottom left, ‘I’; bottom right, ‘A’.

    Notes: The inscription can be interpreted as Thomas Anstie alias Field and Denise his wife (etc.), the surname Anstie alias Field being known in the 16th century in central Sussex. A Thomas Anstye married Denys Joyner at Wivelsfield, Sussex on 5th June 1564; illustrated in Lower, 1849 p. 189 with some errors in copying; formerly at 'Misfield' (Miswell), Worth, Sussex. One of a small series of distinctive firebacks cast in 1582, most with inscriptions dedicated to pairs of individuals; the initials IA may be of the founder as they appear in the same arrangement on the other firebacks.

    Inscription: THOMAS VNSTE / ALIS : FILD AND DINIS / HIS : WIF: ANO : DOMINO: / 1582 / I A

    Manufactured: in 1582 possibly at Pounsley Furnace, Framfield in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Gwesty Seren Hotel (formerly Bryn Llewellyn), Allt Goch, Llan Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, Wales.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Jones, G. V., Autumn/Winter 2023, 'Dirgelwch i rywun ei ddatrys' [A Mystery for Someone to Solve], Gwreiddiau Gwynedd Roots, 2, 85, pp. 6-7.

    Citation: Lower, M. A., 1849, 'Iron Works of the County of Sussex', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2, pp. 169-220 (esp. pp. 188-9).

  10. 468

    lloyd_002.jpg
    ~980 x ~483 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); stamp formed of a bordered strip with an undulating vine with grapes and leaves, repeated six times in three horizontal rows of two; below, a short piece of the same strip positioned vertically and repeated twelve times.

    Notes: The vine strip features on many firebacks indicating a common source. Illustration from Lloyd, 1925.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley Furnace, Framfield in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.