Firebacks

Manufactured in England

874 results

  1. 261

    christies_4-11-08 820mm x 660mm.jpg
    820 x 660 mm

    Description: Plain rectangular bottom panel with fillet on top; above, rectangular panel with fillet and ovolo-moulded edging, within which the initials, ER, ornately carved, intertwined with floral tendrils; on each side, a scrolled bracket with double fillet edging, enclosing [?] ears of corn; on top, a narrow cornich, with an arch above, scrolled at each end and with double fillet edging, enclosing the date, possibly formed of individual stamped letters.

    Notes: The 'ER' initials should not be assumed to be those of Elizabeth I. Formerly at Ockwells Manor, Cox Green, Berkshire. Christie's auction 4 Nov 2008 lot 259 (£3,750).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 1565 / ER

    Manufactured: in 1565 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  2. 1196

    christy_1908_fig10.png
    ~897 x ~638 mm

    Description: Quasi-rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); 'W' in top corners, between which are a line of five stamps: a 'renaissance' style shield bearing a rose and crown, between two rose stamps, and a rectangular stamp bearing a griffin at each end; below each dragon stamp, a 'W' preceded by a reversed 'P'; below this, the line of five stamps repeated.

    Notes: The shield and griffin stamps have been seen on other firebacks, associating them with a common producer; the 'W' may be apotropaic and symbolic of the Virgin Mary. Illustration from Christy 1908 who noted the fireback at Guildford, Surrey.

    Inscription: W W / qW qW

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:, not known.

    Citation: Christy, M., 30 May 1908, 'The Old Flat Hearth and its Appliances, III - The Fire-back', The Crown, The Court and County Families' Newspaper, XCIX, Vol. 8, No. 9, pp. 383-6.

  3. 1194

    christy_1908_fig12.png
    1615 x 740 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; twisted rope or strap edging (top and sides); semi-random arrangement of three stamps interspersed with rope crosses and rope 'squares' with saltires or linked smaller squares within; low centre, a crowned rose-en-soleil stamp repeated, more or less regularly, five times across the width of the fireback; above, four circular butter mould stamps with a hexagonal design, between which are two rope squares with saltires and, to the left, a rope square containing a smaller square with its corners linked to the corners of the outer square; above, a horned sheep standing on a base repeated four times, between which are two crowned rose-en-soleil stamps and four rope crosses, with a square-within-a-square at the right end.

    Notes: The rose-en-soleil was the badge of King Edward IV and, thus, a Yorkist symbol. It, together with the butter mould and rope squares, are seen on other firebacks associating them with the same producer/foundry. A ram is the crest of the Gage family of West Firle, for many centuries major landholders in Sussex. Formerly at Heringdales/Heronsdale Manor, Waldron, East Sussex, which, however, was not a Gage property. Illustration from Christy 1908.

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley Furnace, Framfield in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Wickham Manor, Winchelsea, East Sussex, England.

    Museum number: NT/WMF/M/007 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Christy, M., 30 May 1908, 'The Old Flat Hearth and its Appliances, III - The Fire-back', The Crown, The Court and County Families' Newspaper, XCIX, Vol. 8, No. 9, pp. 383-6.

    Citation: Gardner, J. S., 1898, 'Iron Casting in the Weald', Archaeologia, 56, 1, pp. 133-164.

  4. 1195

    christy_1908_fig5.png
    ~756 x ~453 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; no edging; top centre, cross formed of two lengths of twisted rope, with a flattened saltire of the same below; top right, a shield, indented at the top, charged with a bird upon a branch, below which is an indeterminate semi-spherical feature; on each side of the cross, a stylised fleur-de-lys in low relief; top left, an inverted shield with indeterminate decoration (suggested by Christy to be IC).

    Notes: The cross and saltire will have had an apotropaic purpose. Illustration from Christy 1908, who stated it was in Buxted, East Sussex.

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:, not known.

    Citation: Christy, M., 30 May 1908, 'The Old Flat Hearth and its Appliances, III - The Fire-back', The Crown, The Court and County Families' Newspaper, XCIX, Vol. 8, No. 9, pp. 383-6.

  5. 1197

    christy_1908_fig8.png
    ~660 x ~503 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, over-pressed crowned shield stamp on a rectangular block, bearing initials KH in Lombardic lettering, above a fleur de lys, the whole between two short vertical lengths of twisted rope, on the outside of each are two fleurs-de-lys, vertically aligned, the lower ones inverted; below the shield, a fifth fleur-de-lys.

    Notes: An arrangement of stamps found on a distinctive series of Tudor firebacks of probable Henrician date. Illustration from Christy 1908, who noted it at Riverhall, Wadhurst, Sussex.

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Citation: Christy, M., 30 May 1908, 'The Old Flat Hearth and its Appliances, III - The Fire-back', The Crown, The Court and County Families' Newspaper, XCIX, Vol. 8, No. 9, pp. 383-6.

  6. 1124

    cirencester,_the pedestal 01.jpg
    920 x 500 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); initial in each top corner, the S angled to the right.

    Notes: Initial letters are in high relief. The Pedestal Auction, Cirencester, 4 Mar 2019, lot 155 (£240).

    Inscription: W S

    Manufactured: in the 17th century in England.

    Current location:, not known.

  7. 1125

    cirencester,_the pedestal 02.jpg
    1100 x 670 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); date top centre; initials in triad in each corner.

    Notes: Damage to bottom right corner. The Pedestal Auction, Cirencester, 4 Mar 2019, lot 154 (£240).

    Inscription: VHE [triad] 1685 VHE [triad]

    Manufactured: in 1685 in England.

    Current location: not known.

  8. 1259

    clandon_park.jpg
    900 x 920 mm

    Description: Plain rectangular plate; shield, garter, helm, mantling and supporters of the Blount family, Lords Mountjoy; above, a Garter enclosing a sun charged with an eye, all surmounted by an earl's coronet; decorative edging of the arch in low relief.

    Notes: The arms are those of Charles Blount, 8th Baron Mountjoy (1563-1606), who was invested Knight of the Garter in 1597. He was created 1st Earl of Devonshire in 1603 and the original fireback, of which this is probably a copy, therefore dates from between 1603 and 1606. Blazon: 1. (Blount) Barry nebuly of six Or and Sable; 2. (Ayala) Argent, two wolves passant Sable on a bordure of the first eight saltires Gules; 3. (Mountjoy) Or a tower Azure; 4. (Gresley) Vair. The fireback was made by taking a worn casting of the Mountjoy arms (for a clearer example see no. 740) and using it as a pattern, adding an extension above with the decorative edging and the crowned Garter and sun, the detail of which is sharper than the armorial below. The Garter and sun as a badge of Charles Blount has been noted on two contemporary book bindings. The fireback may have come from Dedisham Manor in West Sussex, which belonged to a cadet branch of the Blount family from 1545 to 1636 and which, in the latter year, was sold to Richard Onslow who later built Clandon Park.

    Inscription: Garter motto [mostly illegible]

    Arms: Charles Blount, KG, 8th Baron Mountjoy, Earl of Devonshire

    Manufactured: in the early 17th century possibly at Dedisham Furnace, Rudgwick in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Clandon Park, West Clandon, Surrey, England.

    Museum number: 1441937 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  9. 1023

    coombes,_old rectory.jpg
    975 x 610 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; hatched fillet edging (top and sides); initials in triad to the left; fleur-de-lys stamp repeated seven times across top; date and initial pairs below; full width, horizontal hatched fillet below inscription; zig-zag formed of short, hatched fillets down each side below horizontal fillet; space within bordered by squared cross stamp repeated 12 times horizontally and six times on each side.

    Notes: The distinctive squared cross and fleur stamps are seen on other firebacks; the initials in triad may relate to a husband and wife, the pairs of initials to their children; an almost identical fireback seen at Smith's Funeral Services, close to the site of Elmbridge Furnace, at Newent, Gloucestershire, differs only in the alignment of the left-hand column of squared crosses.

    Inscription: AHE [triad] 1671 WH MH

    Manufactured: in 1671 possibly at Elmbridge Furnace, Newent in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Coombes, West Sussex, England.

  10. 1035

    country_life 03a.jpg
    ? x ? mm

    Description: Rectangular with furniture-derived mounding (top and sides); double-loop 'lens' pattern stamp repeated inside the moulded edging nine times along the top and three times down each side; top left, initials RBD in triad; right of top centre, date 1602; top right, initials RB split between two repeated dog stamps; four other dog stamps in pairs below, and one below date; becapped human figure stamp, with his left arm raised to his head and his right arm akimbo, repeated four times below initial triad and two singly, one below lone dog stamp and one centre right; top centre, stamp of a crest formed of a stag 'lodged' (i.e. sitting) upon a wreath, in this instance only with pseudo legs drawn below, also repeated six times in two rows of three left of lower centre, with one to the left of the six; 'renaissance' shield bearing an 'IE' monogram with continuous loop between the letters, repeated lower left and right with a third bottom centre impressed partially over the centremost stag crest.

    Notes: Acquired in 1900 by Sir Spencer Maryon-Wilson for Charlton House (Country Life, 23 April 1904, from whence has come the illustration); several of the stamps have been noted on two other firebacks, both dated 1617, and suggesting by their location an origin in the Horsham area of the Weald.

    Inscription: R B D [triad] 1602 R T / IE IE / IE

    Manufactured: in 1602 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Citation: Christy, M., 30 May 1908, 'The Old Flat Hearth and its Appliances, III - The Fire-back', The Crown, The Court and County Families' Newspaper, XCIX, Vol. 8, No. 9, pp. 383-6.

    Citation: Gardner, J. S., 30 Apr 1904, 'An old fire-back' (letter), Country Life, p. 647.

    Citation: S. M. W. [Spencer Maryon-Wilson], 23 Apr 1904, 'An old fireback' [letter], Country Life, p. 611.

    Citation: Shuffrey, L. A., 1912, The English Fireplace, London, Batsford.