Firebacks

Manufactured in England

874 results

  1. 125

    canterbury_auction galleries 28-30 nov 2017 lot 939 1035x591a.jpg
    1035 x 591 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, Tudor royal shield between lion passant guardant to right and lion passant guardant sinister to left, both diagonally placed; below, a crowned rose; to left and right, an 'imp' with arms down, facing left.

    Notes: One of a large series incorporating royal heraldic stamps. Canterbury Auction Galleries sale, 29 Nov 2017, lot 939 (£300).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: not known.

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  2. 224

    cardiff,_st fagans 02.jpg
    780 x 770 mm

    Description: Composite; Arched rectangular shaped, armorial fireback, cavetto edging, with Stuart Royal arms, garter, supporters, crown and motto, and 1639 date above crown; this overlies a rectangular plate, with rope-effect, fillet edging; a pattern of four rosettes surrounding a fleur-de-lys, its stem terminating in a small buckle, is repeated on each side of the central armorial fireback, with the initials above; each rosette is stamped separately.

    Notes: The armorial may originally have been one of the 1619 series. Formerly at Wonastow Court, Momouthshire

    Inscription: 1639 / G / HONI SOIT QVI MAL Y PENSE / DIEV ET MO DROIT

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1639 possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 40.428 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

  3. 225

    cardiff,_st fagans 03.jpg
    1005 x 668 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; cavetto moulded edging (top and sides); single horizontal fillet below canted corners and vertical fillet parallel to each side, dividing the fireback into two side panels, two top corner panels, top panel and main central panel; corner panels, ‘daisy’ plant stamp; top panel, date between ‘daisy’ stamps, between initials in triad at each end; side panels, swirling foliage stamp repeated each side above initials, I to left, B to right; centre panel, stamp of ‘Indian’ smoking a pipe at top left, stamp of seated ‘gentleman’ smoking a pipe and holding another, at top right.

    Notes: The 'daisy' stamp and the IB initials are identical to those on similar firebacks dated between 1703 and 1721, and probably indicating the same founder. The use of stamps relating to tobacco smoking may suggest an origin near Bristol, the main entry port for the tobacco trade at that time. Formerly at Lilly Hall, Ledbury, Herefordshire.

    Inscription: TVI [triad] 1708 TVI [triad] / I B

    Manufactured: in 1708 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 13.90/2 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

  4. 226

    cardiff,_st fagans 04.jpg
    660 x 900 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; central pedestal with a serpent fountain ringed with water, and two swans swimming, plants rising from the waves; above, swags of drapery with two central tassels; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical floral fronds descending from a rose, top centre, with a looped 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base, beteen date; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils. A single vertical plankline right of centre.

    Notes: One of a group of firebacks all of the same date, some of which have the same Welsh inscription which translates as 'God is our strength'. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is taken from 'Nouveaux livres de ...Fontaines [etc.]' (La Haye & Amsterdam 1702-5) by Daniel Marot (1661-1752). Formerly at Allt-y-ferin, Nantgaredig, Carmarthenshire.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 62.156 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 229

    cardiff,_st fagans 07.jpg
    505 x 520 mm

    Description: Rectangular with superimposed arch; embattled, cavetto moulded edging, with the top edge of the rectangle interrupted; shield, garter, crown, supporters and motto of the English Royal house of Stuart; rose and thistle plants above lion and unicorn supporters respectively; initials split by crown; date below garter.

    Notes: A different version is at Newick Park, Sussex (no. 502).

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: I R / HONI S OIT QVI MAL Y ..ENSE / 16 19

    Arms: English Stuart royal

    Manufactured: in 1619 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 48.354/85 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 234

    cardiff,_st fagans 11.jpg
    450 x 535 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped; cavetto moulded edging, scalloped top and sides; Prince of Wales’ badge of three ostrich feathers emerging through a coronet; symmetrical scroll with elaborate swirls, bearing motto; monogrammed initials at bottom, left of centre.

    Notes: The scalloped edging and RN monogram have been noted on other firebacks, suggesting a common pattern maker. Formerly from Burwash, Sussex.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: ICH DIEN / RN

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 17th century in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: 20.177/1 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  7. 238

    cardiff,_st fagans 15.jpg
    612 x 830 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; crowned figure, holding a sceptre in his right hand, sitting in a chariot drawn to the left by two, caparisoned horses with ostrich feather head-dresses; the whole upon a three-arched bridge with keystones and a string course, waves beneath; above, swagged drapery with two tassels hanging from the centre; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical, descending oak leaf and acorn branches, with a looped 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils and berries. A single central vertical plankline.

    Notes: One of a series produced in the same year. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from a personification of Europe, one of a set of playing cards entitled Jeu de la Géographie, designed by Stefano della Bella for Louis XIV. The inscription translates as 'God is our strength'.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: F81.233 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  8. 240

    cardiff,_st fagans 17.jpg
    562 x 803 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shaped central panel with bead-and-pellet edging on a wide fillet; ground with birds, and trees behind; in the centre a circular fountain rim with a swan on a plinth surrounded by water, with jets of water rising from the swan’s mouth and descending on either side; above, a heron and a goose fly to the left; under the arch, swags of drapery; arched rectangular shaped border with fillet edging, symmetrical floral fronds descending from a scallop shell, top centre, with a looed 'W' in each shoulder; inscription at base between date; on top, symmetrical scrolled plant tendrils. A single central vertical plankline.

    Notes: One of a group of firebacks, all of the same date, some of which have the same Welsh inscription which translates as 'God is our strength'. All incorporate the looped 'W' motif which may be intended to identify the pattern maker. The design is derived from an illustration in Labyrinthe de Versailles by Charles Perrault (1677); the flying heron is copied from a print by Wenceslaus Hollar c.1658.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: 17 DVW Ydyw Ein Cadernid 24

    Manufactured: in 1724 in England.

    Current location: National History Museum, St Fagans, Glamorgan, Wales.

    Museum number: F83.116 (part of the Welsh National History Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Lloyd, N., 1925, 'Domestic Ironwork I', Architectural Review, 58, pp. 58-67.

  9. 997

    castle_bolton, bolton castle.jpg
    725 x 1315 mm

    Description: Triangular arched shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, shield and marquesal coronet separating two halves of date.

    Notes: The arms are of Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester (c1630-99) who married, secondly in 1655, Mary Carey, illegitimate daughter of Emanuel Scrope, 1st Earl of Sunderland and 11th Baron Scrope of Bolton; blazon: (Paulet) Sable, three swords pilewise points in base proper pommels and hilts or; (Scrope) Azure, a bend or.

    Inscription: 16 84

    Arms: Paulet impaling Scrope (Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester)

    Manufactured: in 1684 in England.

    Current location: Bolton Castle, Castle Bolton, North Yorkshire, England.

  10. 1282

    catsfield,_potmans_place.jpg
    1060 x 605 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; wide fillet and ogee-moulded edging; approximately top centre, initials RH, with date 1701 centred below.

    Notes: The character set for the initials and date lacks uniformity, some carved crudely, others more carefully; the lettering differs from another fireback (see no. 1166), with the same initials and date, by the position and shape of the letter 'R'. Formerly at Nethercote, Netherfield Hill, East Sussex. The former location in the Netherfield area of these two firebacks suggests a possible association with Richard Hay, owner of land in that area at that time and ironmaster at Beech Furnace nearby.

    Inscription: R H / 1701

    Manufactured: in 1701 possibly at Beech Furnace, Battle in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Catsfield, East Sussex, England.