Firebacks

Manufactured in England

836 results

  1. 691

    soudley_01.jpg
    678 x 628 mm

    Description: Arched rectangle; arch with egg and dart, ovolo edging, resting on rectangle shoulders and sides with triple fillet edging, a single fillet edged panel beneath; bottom panel, guilloche pattern of 12; main panel: shield, helm, crest, coronet and mantling of the Wynter/Wintour family of Lydney, Gloucestershire; the initials above the date, both split by the helm and coronet; on either side of the shield, Ionic pilasters; above the rectangle shoulders, a scrolled bracket each side, supporting the arch.

    Notes: Wynter: Sable, a fess ermine, in chief a crescent for difference; crest: out of a ducal coronet, or, a cubit arm in armour erect, proper, garnished of the first, in the gauntlet three ostrich-feathers. The arms are likely to be those of Sir John Wynter, who owned several furnaces in the Forest of Dean. Formerly at Watts House, Bishop's Lydeard, Somerset, and before that at The Priory, Taunton.

    Inscription: I W / 16 30

    Arms: Winter/Wintour of Lydney, Gloucestershire

    Manufactured: in 1630 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Horniman Museum, London, London, England.

    Museum number: 6.249 (part of the Horniman Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Mullin, D., 1989, 'Two Firebacks', The New Regard, Forest of Dean Local History Society, 5, pp. 47-50.

  2. 903

    speldhurst,_george and dragon a.jpg
    1300 x 690 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); date between split initials across upper half of plate; two notches cut away for insertion of firedogs.

    Notes: The ‘6s’ appear to have been moulded from a type of jemmy.

    Inscription: g 1669 P [reversed]

    Manufactured: in 1669 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: George & Dragon Inn, Speldhurst, Kent, England.

  3. 959

    staveley_hall.jpg
    ~914 x ~866 mm

    Description: Arched shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, shield of impaled arms; date above shield; initials, in triad ('F above), to right of shield.

    Notes: The arms are of Sir Peter Frecheville (1575-1634) of Staveley Hall, Derbyshire, and his first wife, Joyce Osborne, née Fleetwood (d.1619), whom he had married in the year of the fireback's casting; the blazon is as follows: (Frecheville) Azure, a bend between six escallops argent; (Fleetwood) Per pale nebuly or and azure, six martlets, two, two and two counterchanged (the tinctures, as painted, are incorrect). At the bottom of the fireback there appears to be the remains of a runner by which the molten iron flowed into the sand mould.

    Inscription: 1605 / PFI [triad]

    Arms: Frecheville impaling Fleetwood

    Manufactured: in 1605 probably at Staveley Furnace in the Derbyshire area of England.

    Current location: Staveley Hall, Staveley Hall Drive, Staveley, Derbyshire, England.

  4. 692

    stawley,_cothay manor 01.jpg
    925 x 750 mm

    Description: Rectangular with inclined sides, joined by scrolls to a pedimented top; twisted rope edging (top and sides); Garter enclosing the Tudor royal arms, with crowned lion and dragon supporters, crowned helm, and lion crest with mantling; rectangular date compartment at base; initials either side of crest.

    Notes: The detached pediment is stylistically typical of the late-16th and early-17th centuries.

    Inscription: E R; Garter motto; 160[?0]

    Arms: Tudor royal - Elizabeth I

    Manufactured: in 1600 in England.

    Current location: Cothay Manor, Stawley, Somerset, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  5. 693

    stawley,_cothay manor 02.jpg
    765 x 490 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); a shield repeated five times, each bearing three arrows palewise, points down, with a molet (star) above the middle arrow, two over three.

    Notes: Three arrows form the arms of several families, so identification of the arms is not possible without the associated colouring. The star is likely to be a mark of cadency, granted to a third son. Four rivets along the base may relate to earlier repair. The fireback was formerly at Chisenbury Priory, Wiltshire. A variant with three shields (W 740mm x H 480mm) was lot 530 at Brettells auction, Newport, Salop, 1 March 2022.

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in England.

    Current location: Cothay Manor, Stawley, Somerset, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  6. 1079

    stoke-on-trent,_ford green hall.jpg
    ?610 x ?560 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape; fillet edging, indented on the inner edge; pictorial representation of a phoenix rising from flames, date split either side of its neck; the lateral edges are wide in relation to the top, from which the arch rises from two loop and is surmounted by a fleur-de-lys; above each shoulder of the plate, a roundel.

    Notes: The looped fillet edging is rarely seen and does not seem to be diagnostic of a particular pattern-maker.

    Inscription: 16 77

    Manufactured: in 1677 possibly in the Staffordshire area of England.

    Current location: Ford Green Hall, Ford Green Road, Smallthorne, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England.

    (part of the Stoke-on-Trent Museums museum group)

  7. 1078

    stoke-on-trent,_potteries museum.jpg
    648 x 838 mm

    Description: Fragment; quasi-arched rectangular shape; twisted rope or leather edging; flame on centre arch and on top corners (left missing); initials in triad above central shield with date split either side of centre; the bottom right corner is missing.

    Notes: The initials are of Philip and Elizabeth Hollins of Mosslee Hall, Cheddleton, Staffordshire, who were married in 1671. Blazon: Argent, a chevron azure, in chief four crosses formee fitchee of the second.

    Inscription: PHE [triad] / 16 71

    Arms: Hollins, of Mosslee Hall

    Manufactured: in 1671 possibly in the Staffordshire area of England.

    Current location: The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, Bethesda Street, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England.

    Museum number: LH.SH.1955.21 (part of the Stoke-on-Trent Museums museum group)

    Citation: Dodd, A. E. & M. E., 1957, 'A Seventeenth Century Fireback', Trans. North Staffs Field Club, 90, pp. 39-40.

  8. 694

    stratford,_nashs house 01a.jpg
    >740 x 770 mm

    Description: Arched shape with scrolled side brackets; astragal edging on arch; bipartite design with side pilasters and a central pilaster surmounted by two gothic traceried arches within each of which are two roses and two fleurs-de-lys; below left arch, letter ‘W’ (possibly ‘WY’ monogram) above first half of date; below right arch, shield bearing arms of the Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon above second half of date.

    Notes: The combination of the monogram and the arms of Stratford suggest an individual with a formal office within the borough; a mixture of Gothic and Classical elements; damage to bottom right side.

    Inscription: W [Y?] / 15 85

    Arms: Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon

    Manufactured: in 1585 in England.

    Current location: Nash's House, Chapel Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England.

    (part of the Shakespeare's Birthplace Trust museum group)

  9. 695

    stratford,_nashs house 02.jpg
    ? x ? mm

    Description: Rectangular; fillet edging (top and sides only); top centre, date formed of individual letter stamps; below date, initials carved as single stamp, overstamped and showing v-shaped extension below.

    Notes: The reason for the unusual shape of the base of the initial stamp is not understood.

    Inscription: 1616 / WC

    Manufactured: in 1616 in England.

    Current location: Nash's House, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England.

    (part of the Shakespeare's Birthplace Trust museum group)

  10. 696

    stratford,_nashs house 03a.jpg
    ? x ? mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel with nutshell edging on a broad fillet; pictorial scene of a standing, winged male figure draped with a cloth, holding a staff in his left hand, above a ground, and with drapery over; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; alternating acanthus leaves with swirled tendrils; on top, two mirrored sea serpents.

    Notes: Presumably intended to represent an angel; similarities in the design and execution of the pattern suggest the work of the pattern-maker identified as ‘N’ (q.v.); the missing segment had been filled with a piece from another fireback (removed in this photo).

    Manufactured: in the early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Nash's House, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England.

    (part of the Shakespeare's Birthplace Trust museum group)