Firebacks

Manufactured in England

870 results

  1. 675

    saffron_walden museum 03.jpg
    302 x 470 mm

    Description: Quasi-arched rectangular shape; fillet edging; centre, fluted flower vase containing a variety of flowers, with a plant growing on each side, all within an arched rectangular bead-and-pellet border with looped top corners; on each side, a festoon of bell flowers, with a putto blowing a trumpet above; over each of their heads a single rose; top centre, a sunburst; bottom, an animal’s face between mirrored swirled foliage.

    Notes: One of a small group of firebacks with similar outlines.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Manufactured: in the early to mid 18th century in England.

    Current location: Saffron Walden Museum, Saffron Walden, Essex, England.

    Museum number: 1897-03 (part of the Saffron Walden Museum museum group)

  2. 676

    saffron_walden museum 04.jpg
    386 x 650 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular central panel; bead-and-pellet edging; scene showing a semi-naked figure holding a trident in his right hand and a sheaf of corn in his raised left hand; standing on ground, with swagged drapery and tassels above, and an anchor behind right; arched rectangular border with fillet edging; on top, scallop shell symmetrical descending arrangement of swirled fronds and shells, which continue on the bottom; monogram at bottom centre; on top, mirrored stylised sea monsters.

    Notes: The figure is Neptune, one of a set of 'Eight Deities' engraved by Hendrick Goltzius (1592), after Polidoro da Caravaggio; the fireback is one of a large group bearing the same initials, which probably denotes the pattern maker. Other groups may have been the work of the same carver or workshop. The execution is rather crude.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: SHR

    Manufactured: in the late 17th to early 18th century in England.

    Current location: Saffron Walden Museum, Saffron Walden, Essex, England.

    Museum number: 1889-35 (part of the Saffron Walden Museum museum group)

  3. 679

    saffron_walden museum 07a.jpg
    897 x 748 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto moulding all round; spreading oak tree, with leaves and acorns, filling the whole plate; three royal crowns, one at the top of the tree, the other two symmetrically on the ends of branches towards the top corners; initials CR towards the bottom corners, the remaining inscription on a scroll across the base.

    Notes: The design is derived from the celebrated occasion when Charles II evaded his pursuers by hiding in an oak tree at Boscobel House, near Wolverhampton, following the final Royalist defeat at the battle of Worcester in 1651. This popular fireback has been copied frequently.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: C THE ROYALL OAK R

    Manufactured: in the mid 17th century in England.

    Current location: Saffron Walden Museum, Saffron Walden, Essex, England.

    Museum number: 1899-2 (part of the Saffron Walden Museum museum group)

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 19 Jan 1935, 'Charles II Fireback', Hastings and St Leonards Observer.

    Citation: Butterfield, W. R., 1916, 'Old Wealden Firebacks', The Connoisseur, 46, pp. 197-209.

  4. 806

    salfords,_picketts farmhouse.jpg
    1076 x 830 mm

    Description: Rectangle with curved shoulders and low arch joined with concave curves; fillet and ogee moulded edging; central Tudor royal shield surrounded by garter, with crown above and lion and dragon supporters; royal initials either side of crown; lower right, inclined rectangular stamp of a dog; extended variant.

    Notes: On clearer examples the garter motto has ‘EQVI’ instead of ‘HONI’, making it meaningless; possibly ‘EQVI’ was a mis-transcription of ‘HONI’; the crown is distinctly continental in form; a much-copied fireback.

    Copies of this fireback are known.

    Inscription: E R [Garter motto illegible]

    Arms: Tudor royal - Elizabeth I

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Salfords, Surrey, England.

  5. 1099

    saltash,_stax reclamation.jpg
    600 x 390 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; ovolo-moulded edging; raised central rectangular panel with inset stylised design of a rounded arch upon Ionic columns, the inside edge indented; at quarter angles outside the arch, two trefoils; within the arch, sequence of linked hollow strapwork rhomboids and circles; between the columns, a roundel with the internal edge indented; left of the central panel, 16 above upper-case M in low relief; right of the central panel, 56 above upper-case G in low relief.

    Notes: An unusually small but well-preserved back with a stylised design. The style of the numerals, particularly the 6 and 5, can be seen on a larger fireback of 1653.

    Inscription: 16 56 / M G

    Manufactured: in 1656 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Avery Way, Tamar View Industrial Estate, Saltash, Cornwall, England.

  6. 1031

    saxtead_green, limes farmhouse.jpg
    460 x 420 mm

    Description: Rectangular; astragal and fillet edging; two heater-shaped shields side by side, with a stag trippant crest above centre.

    Notes: The dexter shield: quarterly first and fourth - Mostyn baronet - Gules a saracen's head erased proper wreathed about the temples sable and argent; second and third, within a bordure a fess fusily (or three lozenges in fess); a baronet's inescutcheon in the centre chief. The sinister shield - Sale - Argent on a bend cotised three gryphons' heads erased. Crest (Mostyn), a stag trippant proper.

    Arms: Left: Mostyn with unknown quartering; right: Sal, Sale, Salle or Salley

    Manufactured: in the 19th century in England.

    Current location: in private hands, Saxtead, Suffolk, England.

  7. 1200

    scaynes_hill,_cudwells_court.png
    415 x >355 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular plain shape with the sides of the arch concave, and with a diamond-shaped protrusion on each side; astragal edged sides terminating at the shoulders of the platre with a triangle on each side; top centre, initials in triad.

    Notes: As small and unusual fireback of which only the upper part is visible, the lower part concealed behind a metal plate.

    Inscription: IWM [triad]

    Manufactured: in the 17th century possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: in private hands, Scaynes Hill, West Sussex, England.

  8. 1081

    schubert_(1950).jpg
    ~655 x ~670 mm

    Description: Arch-shaped, the arch consisting of eight, straight, ovolo-moulded sections; longer ovolo-moulded pieces form the lower sides of the fireback; in the centre a circular garter enclosing the Tudor arms of England; above, a crown; the date was carved on a single stamp and placed below left of the crown.

    Notes: From other examples it is apparent that the crown is formed from a separate stamp to the shield and garter. Formerly at the Anchor Inn, Hartfield, Sussex; later at the Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA, it was deaccessioned in 2003 from the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh and sold at auction by Skinner, Inc. of Marlborough, MA. Cropped illustration from Schubert 1950.

    Inscription: 1589 / HONI SOIT qVI MAL I PANSE

    Arms: Tudor royal

    Manufactured: in 1589 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:, not known.

    Citation: Hannah, I. C., 1919, 'Notes and Queries No. 4 Fire-back from the old Anchor Inn at Hartfield, now in Pennsylvania', Sussex Archaeological Collections, 60, p. 146.

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1950, 'A Rare Group of Wealden Firebacks', Journal of the Iron & Steel Institute, 165, pp. 39-40.

  9. 368

    schubert_(1957) 01.jpg
    900 x 715 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); Tudor royal shield within a Garter, supported by lion and dragon stamps, a crown above, between separate ‘E’ and ‘R’ stamps; fleur de lys stamp irregularly repeated four times below right and to left of lion.

    Notes: The shield, garter and crown stamps appear on many firebacks, usually with left-facing lion and greyhound supporters; the presence of the shield and crown indicate the fireback is derived from the same source; the supporter stamps, which are over-pressed, are clearly derived from blocks intended to represent standing models. Formerly at Kirby Frith Hall, Leicestershire. Illustration from Schubert, 1957, pl. 7.

    Inscription: HONE SOYT qVEY MAL Y PENSE

    Arms: Tudor royal - Edward VI or Elizabeth I

    Manufactured: in the mid to late 16th century possibly at Pounsley Furnace, Framfield in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Newarke Houses, Leicester, Leicestershire, England.

    Museum number: H.101.1930.0 (part of the Leicester City Museums museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Schubert, H. R., 1957, History of the British Iron and Steel Industry (London, Routledge), pp. 256-264.

  10. 1098

    scm_13, 284, palfrey farm, petworth.jpg
    ~1300 x ~700 mm

    Description: Rectangular shape; indeterminate moulded edging; central initials (A? D M)in triad, between split date (6 reversed).

    Notes: The characters have been derived from an odd assortment: the numbers appear to be a recognisable character set, with the 6 and 9 interchangeable, although 6 has been inadvertently reversed; the 6/9 has also been used, with the same stamp as has been used to form the uprights of the M, to construct a probable capital A (or R); the nature of the stamps forming the M is unclear. Noted in 1939 at Palfrey Farm, near Petworth, West Sussex, which from the mid-16th century had been home to the Penycod family, suggesting that the fireback had not been original to the house.

    Inscription: 16 / A[?] D M [triad] / 49

    Manufactured: in 1649 possibly at Frith Furnace, Northchapel in the Weald area of England.

    Current location:, not known.

    Citation: Smail, H. C. P., Apr 1939, 'Iron Firebacks' [letter], Sussex County Magazine, 13, 4, p. 284.