Firebacks

Manufactured in England

874 results

  1. 1094

    smallhythe_place 02.jpg
    1143 x 558 mm

    Description: Rectangular; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, crowned Tudor royal shield between a lion passant on the right and a lion passant guardant sinister on the left; in each top corner a crowned four-petal rose, below which, to the right, a left-facing 'imp' with both arms lowered; below the armorial, a crowned shield bearing initials, KH, in Lombardic lettering, above a fleur-de-lys; a much-corroded imp figure may be below the right-hand lion.

    Notes: A heavily corroded variant of a type bearing Henrician heraldic elements.

    Arms: Tudor royal arms of England

    Manufactured: in the mid 16th century in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Smallhythe Place, Small Hythe Road, Tenterden, Kent, England.

    Museum number: 1117950 (part of the National Trust museum group)

  2. 690

    smallhythe_place.jpg
    1280 x 470 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; plain edges; broad horizontal fillet dividing the plate in two just above the side angles, with vertical fillets to top corners enclosing date and initials.

    Notes: Uncharacteristically crude for the period.

    Inscription: IS / 16 60

    Manufactured: in 1660 in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: Smallhythe Place, Small Hythe Road, Tenterden, Kent, England.

    Museum number: 1117951 (part of the National Trust museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  3. 892

    sothebys_08-11-06 1910mm x 590mm.jpg
    910 x 590 mm

    Description: Canted rectangular shape; plain edging with inset ?leather strap twisted round dowel (top and sides); top centre, date probably in stamped numerals; twisted leather strap saltire repeated three times across middle of plate; pair of stamped initials, formed of a Roman 'W' and a Gothic 'd', above each outer saltire.

    Notes: Sotheby's sale London 27 November 2006, lot 324; formerly at Brunger, Kent (near Tenterden).

    Inscription: 1610 / WD WD

    Manufactured: in 1610 in England.

    Current location: not known.

  4. 1143

    soudley,_dean heritage centre 03a.jpg
    >675 x >915 mm

    Description: Fragment, left side missing; arched rectangular shape; fillet edging (top and sides visible); initials IG widely spaced in arch.

    Notes: Previously at Bream Court Farm, Newland, Gloucestershire.

    Inscription: I G

    Manufactured: in the 17th century possibly in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Dean Heritage Centre, Camp Mill, Soudley, Gloucestershire, England.

    Citation: Mullin, D., 1989, 'Two Firebacks', The New Regard, Forest of Dean Local History Society, 5, pp. 47-50.

  5. 691

    soudley,_dean_heritage_centre_01b.jpg
    678 x 628 mm

    Description: Arched rectangle; arch with egg and dart, ovolo edging, resting on rectangle shoulders and sides with triple fillet edging, a single fillet edged panel beneath; bottom panel, guilloche pattern of 12; main panel: shield, helm, crest, coronet and mantling of the Wynter/Wintour family of Lydney, Gloucestershire; the initials above the date, both split by the helm and coronet; on either side of the shield, Ionic pilasters; above the rectangle shoulders, a scrolled bracket each side, supporting the arch.

    Notes: Wynter: Sable, a fess ermine, in chief a crescent for difference; crest: out of a ducal coronet, or, a cubit arm in armour erect, proper, garnished of the first, in the gauntlet three ostrich-feathers. The arms are likely to be those of Sir John Wynter, who owned several furnaces in the Forest of Dean. Formerly at Watts House, Bishop's Lydeard, Somerset, and before that at The Priory, Taunton.

    Inscription: I W / 16 30

    Arms: Winter/Wintour of Lydney, Gloucestershire

    Manufactured: in 1630 in the Forest of Dean area of England.

    Current location: Horniman Museum, 100 London Road, Forest Hill, London, England.

    Museum number: 6.249 (part of the Horniman Museum museum group)

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

    Citation: Mullin, D., 1989, 'Two Firebacks', The New Regard, Forest of Dean Local History Society, 5, pp. 47-50.

  6. 903

    speldhurst,_george and dragon a.jpg
    1300 x 690 mm

    Description: Rectangular; ovolo-moulded edging (top and sides); date between split initials across upper half of plate; two notches cut away for insertion of firedogs.

    Notes: The ‘6s’ appear to have been moulded from a type of jemmy.

    Inscription: g 1669 P [reversed]

    Manufactured: in 1669 possibly in the Weald area of England.

    Current location: George & Dragon Inn, Speldhurst Hill, Speldhurst, Kent, England.

  7. 1245

    stalbridge_7_dec_22_805x710.jpg
    805 x 710 mm

    Description: Arched rectangular shape; cavetto-moulded edging; no decoration.

    Notes: A plain base board.

    Manufactured: in England.

    Current location:, not known.

  8. 959

    staveley_hall.jpg
    ~914 x ~866 mm

    Description: Arched shape; twisted rope edging (top and sides); top centre, shield of impaled arms; date above shield; initials, in triad ('F above), to right of shield.

    Notes: The arms are of Sir Peter Frecheville (1575-1634) of Staveley Hall, Derbyshire, and his first wife, Joyce Osborne, née Fleetwood (d.1619), whom he had married in the year of the fireback's casting; the blazon is as follows: (Frecheville) Azure, a bend between six escallops argent; (Fleetwood) Per pale nebuly or and azure, six martlets, two, two and two counterchanged (the tinctures, as painted, are incorrect). At the bottom of the fireback there appears to be the remains of a runner by which the molten iron flowed into the sand mould.

    Inscription: 1605 / PFI [triad]

    Arms: Frecheville impaling Fleetwood

    Manufactured: in 1605 probably at Staveley Furnace in the Derbyshire area of England.

    Current location: Staveley Hall, Staveley Hall Drive, Staveley, Derbyshire, England.

  9. 692

    stawley,_cothay manor 01.jpg
    925 x 750 mm

    Description: Rectangular with inclined sides, joined by scrolls to a pedimented top; twisted rope edging (top and sides); Garter enclosing the Tudor royal arms, with crowned lion and dragon supporters, crowned helm, and lion crest with mantling; rectangular date compartment at base; initials either side of crest.

    Notes: The detached pediment is stylistically typical of the late-16th and early-17th centuries.

    Inscription: E R; Garter motto; 160[?0]

    Arms: Tudor royal - Elizabeth I

    Manufactured: in 1600 in England.

    Current location: Cothay Manor, Stawley, Somerset, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).

  10. 693

    stawley,_cothay manor 02.jpg
    765 x 490 mm

    Description: Canted rectangle; twisted rope edging (top and sides); a shield repeated five times, each bearing three arrows palewise, points down, with a molet (star) above the middle arrow, two over three.

    Notes: Three arrows form the arms of several families, so identification of the arms is not possible without the associated colouring. The star is likely to be a mark of cadency, granted to a third son. Four rivets along the base may relate to earlier repair. The fireback was formerly at Chisenbury Priory, Wiltshire. A variant with three shields (W 740mm x H 480mm) was lot 530 at Brettells auction, Newport, Salop, 1 March 2022 and again as lot 457 on 2 May 2023.

    Arms: Not known

    Manufactured: in the late 16th to early 17th century in England.

    Current location: Cothay Manor, Stawley, Somerset, England.

    Citation: Hodgkinson, J. S., 2010, British Cast-Iron Firebacks of the 16th to Mid-18th Centuries (Crawley, Hodgers Books).